shape
carat
color
clarity

Harry Winston discount - how to ask

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

duckwebber

Rough_Rock
There is a thread elsewhere titled the same but I was not able to use the ''Reply'' function so I had to start this one. I read that some PSers have managed to get up to 30% discount in HW stores and if anything, there is no harm in asking. I just wanted to know how to ask. The ring I am after has to be transferred from another showroom. If i request for it to be brought in, am I commiting myself to the purchase at the listed price already? Do i bargain for a discount before or after the ring gets transferred? Can someone teach me the best way to approach this? Thank yoU!

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn''t talk about price w/ the SA until you check out the piece.
I''m surprised someone has been able to score a 30% discount - that could be $9,000 off a $30,000 piece! That''s pretty major!
I would think 10-15% is more reasonable to expect.
You''re not committing to a price or a piece even if they transfer it over for you.

duckwebber

Rough_Rock
Is it ok to ask for a couple of rings to be transferred just for viewing before deciding which one (if at all) to get? Im being particular i think but Im after a design with side baguettes and i understand the size of baguettes are all different from one ring to another....Im afraid of coming across as ''troublesome'' but for the price im paying I just want to be sure I like it first! Also i think I can afford something better if I am able to get a discount so its really hard when they dont have the rings in the local showroom and I dont know how much I can ''bargain''!

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
When it comes to HW they understand that their pieces are a little more expensive. Ask for them to transfer your pieces because you are interested in purchasing and not to just look, they will be a little more easy going about it.

I would also assume that they would also be willing to give you a discount if you "casually" mention you are a member of PS, that way they understand that you are a knowledgeable person when it comes to diamonds....

But i have never bought from them personally...I would have to mortgate my house...
31.gif
2.gif

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/8/2008 10:35:36 AM
Author: duckwebber
Is it ok to ask for a couple of rings to be transferred just for viewing before deciding which one (if at all) to get? Im being particular i think but Im after a design with side baguettes and i understand the size of baguettes are all different from one ring to another....Im afraid of coming across as ''troublesome'' but for the price im paying I just want to be sure I like it first! Also i think I can afford something better if I am able to get a discount so its really hard when they dont have the rings in the local showroom and I dont know how much I can ''bargain''!
I haven''t worked w/ them specifically, but if they can''t do it, they''d let you know.
If you convey that your''re a truly serious buyer I don''t see why it''d be a problem unless they have rules about it irregardless.

I would let them know you''ve been researching stones and comparing qualities, but I don''t know if I''d mention PS much. Not all vendors love these types of Forums.
I''m a member of another HUGE forum {unrelated to jewelry} and if I mention to a sales person that I''m a member there they look at me weird! LOL!

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Ok- this post is right up my alley because I will NEVER PAY FULL STICKER PRICE for anything like jewelry/watches. That is just plain stupid. Wf or GOG have lowest prices posted so no room to negatiate... but stores like harry winston DO put in a cushion on the posted price.

IF you are a SERIOUS buyer (and it sounds like you are)... once you find the ring you are sure you want... casually ask what is the best price they can do on that particular ring. you do not have to be demanding... but ask it in a way that sounds polite and with the assumption that you KNOW people do not pay full price. If they know they will make a sale... a manager will be notified or someone with the power to discount will be found. I do not know if you can expect 30% off-- but I think 10-15% is VERY reasonable.

I would not ask this on a bunch of rings... just wait until you really are ready to buy one.

Another thing... it is correct to be considerate of the sales persons time and energy to pull pieces from other stores... but this does not cost them anything and is common. If you are going to pay harry Winston prices... you should NOT feel guilty about expecting the BEST customer service.

I would NOT mention PS... I think they could care less and might not even know about PS. I just think you should let them know you are a serious buyer, ready to actually buy and not in the "still just looking" phase, and you understand the value of the ring. You will lose credibility if you expect to buy a HW ring for similar price as getting the same quality stone from PS vender and then just having Leon mege make ring for you. you WILL pay some premium for HW name- and for some this can be totally worth it!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
When I was in Graff with my brother looking for ideas for his gf''s e-ring, I tried on a ring (rb with tapered baguettes a la HW) which was £11,500 GBP - she took all of 10 seconds to say that she could do it for £10k GBP without my even asking.

I''d been talking to her about various different gemstones for over an hour so she knew I was seriously into my rocks and knew quite a lot about what I was looking for. She was also happy to show me all the GIA reports etc again without my asking.

I wouldn''t have thought that HW would be that different.

Graff was quite a bit less than Cartier by the way for the same quality. Don''t know about HW as I didn''t look in there.

(I ended up buying him an identical design and diamond size, but H SI instead of F VS2, for £3,250 GBP from Whiteflash and Wink).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results