shape
carat
color
clarity

hard to find cushion like this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
For those of you who have searched for cushions - is it easier to find squareish cushions? I really want to locate a rectangular 3.5 -4.ct. stone, and I have been looking online and at a few B&M''s. I do plan on visiting Mark with Engagement Rings Direct in NYC this summer. But is it hard to find a modern brilliant cushion, rectangular? Are they few and far between? Sometimes I feel like I am looking for a needle in a haystack. The ones I have seen, have had something wrong with them - errr!

cushion with halo.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Well, the stone in the picture certainly doesn''t look like a "modern" cushion...but it looks like a very nice traditional cushion....and there''s nothing wrong with that! Are you sure you know what you''re looking for? As far as the modern stones, I''ve noticed that there have been NONE online (bluenile, nice ice, etc).....they certainly seem scarce these days. Well, you need to tell Mark what you want and if it is available, he''ll get it for you.

Well, if you''ve got the bucks...have you tried Daniel K. If anyone has a lot of stock onhand it would be them...but you''ll pay out the yin-yang.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
MMM,

It''s the shape I like in the picture. I often wondered if that stone in pic was a modern or an old cushion. But aren''t most old cushions more squareish? Would a new modern cut have that bowtie look in the middle? I didn''t think so. And that stone''s facets look chunky, not the fine crisp faceting I''m after. I "think" I know what I''m after. I have seen a few pics and 2 in person that are very close to what I''m after. I''m just afraid when the time comes, there will be slim pickins!

golden_eyes

Rough_Rock
You might try NiceIce too...

www.niceice.com

I believe they source their cushions from the same source that Daniel K does, but I could be remembering incorrectly.

Good luck!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
They do golden eyes! I am a cushion stalker and I check with everyone's site every week....e/t I"m not in the market...they had a few but they have been purchased it looks like!

Ann- I'm FAR from being knowledgeable...but i definitely think the picture is a traditional cut...very pretty though! My cushion is a "modern" cushion and it is nearly perfectly square...not sure if a lot of antique cuts are square....that would be an interesting fact to learn...I'll have to look online and take a looksie...

Well, I think there is definitely slim pickins. Finding a well cut cushion is hard enough....then make it deliciously huge....then make it rectangular...well, you might be in for a wait...I know you've been looking for a while. Did you contact Mark yet and tell him to keep his eye out for one? I definitely noticed that there are almost none on Blue Nile (where I first found mine) whereas last year there were a lot more...it's a cycle I'm sure...more are bound to pop up...hang in there!

p.s. I believe that nearly all rectangular cut stones will have some form of a bow-tie...it's worse in some than in others. That's why I went square b/c the bow tie drives me crazy e/t I understand it's not a bad thing

I hope you find yours soon! :)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2005 9:42:11 PM
Author: Ann

It's the shape I like in the picture.
That's known as "antique cushion cut" (popular for colored stones too, under the same name) and some might even call it "OMC"... Squares might be more often found, but rectangular stones are not so rare. That one in the picture must be an old cut (look at the symmetry!). You should be able to find one.

Not that long ago Good Old Gold had a couple of stones in this cut. The pictures I had got lost with my computer crash, but you could ask for some. Perhaps they keep an archive
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The "antique cushion" facet pattern looks like the drawing below... You can even see the large pavilion facets on the ring in the picture.
However, this picture does not necesarily appear on GIA plots - actually, even OMC get the "modern looking" picture on a cert - there is NO relation between that plot and the actual shape of the stone.

ACB.JPG

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
These stones are very difficult to locate.
There are factories cutting them currently, still, they are hard to find.
There are also stones which come back to market from estates and the like.

In many cases, the modern stones have large culets, or other aspects which lead me to believe they are cut for weight retention. This does not mean that a stone is neccesarily badly cut- but it makes it far more likely.
Therefore, a lot of the larger cushions I see are what I consider to be "off make"

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
David,

Thank you for your reply. So, if I want a 4ct. ish rectagular cushion, F-G, VS 1-2 to SI1, no flor., no culet, medium girdle, 1 to 1.20 and up ratio, do you think I''m looking for something that might be very tough to find?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
the modern stones....which I've seen as mostly having vg/ex polish and symmetry...have mostly large culets? huh? We looking at the same stones david?
1.gif
And my stone...has a 64.1 depth...most of the 'modern' cuts I see online show no-medium culets.
Check out DBOF and see...the stones have depths 62-67... pretty darn good, no? Maybe deep for a cushion? But if so...if that's wrong...I don't want to be right LOL .... These things are truly spectacular.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow a D IF 3.7 modern cushion, I can''t even imagine how beautiful that stone must be!!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
No joke! Those other two moderns are nice too...maybe a little deep...but there really is something about the D IF, right? Siiiiggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Maybe it''s time to start looking for my 3 ct upgrade? hehehehe....

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2005 3:23:15 PM
Author: moremoremore
the modern stones....which I've seen as mostly having vg/ex polish and symmetry...have mostly large culets? huh?
We looking at the same stones David?
I don't think so... the "moden" must mean old style cushions cut today. At least those I came accross (just a few, unlike David) do seem to be cut worse than the true old ones! This is not even the first time I hear the same remark from a seller. Funny thing that...

"Modern cushion" describing a stone with brilliant-style pavilion and Vg or better polish and symmetry on GIA report must be a Pricescope name - never heard of it out side PS.

Anyway, I should not hyjack your chat with David.

By saying that this cut is not hard to find I was thinking of antique jewelry. In all truth, finding any antique large diamond like that is not easy to begin with. Among those, some come with this cut. Perhaps my sense of reality has been altered by a recent auction sporting two such pieces. Two really is a crowd !

Not long ago someone from GNN Diamonds started posting here. As far as I know, this firm makes old style cuts. Perhaps one in the exact facet pattern you want could be found or made
9.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
moremoremore- I've seen Ex/EX modern cushions with no culet- but these are really few and far between.
FAR more often, I see stones with Good/Good, and large culet.

Here's one we had a while back
304b.JPG

A modern, pretty stone, with a "small" culet.
However a lot of folks might not find this facet pattern attractive- as I recall, I happen to agree- I did not love this diamond

301fvv1cert.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2005 4:4:46 PM
Author: diamondsbylauren
moremoremore- I''ve seen Ex/EX modern cushions with no culet- but these are really few and far between.
David, I think MMM calls this kind of cut "modern cushion" ...

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2005 4
6.gif
4:46 PM
A modern, pretty stone, with a ''small'' culet.
However a lot of folks might not find this facet pattern attractive- as I recall, I happen to agree- I did not love this diamond
Nice shape and nice spread, David.

Agree that it isn''t the perfect one, but I still think that slightly to shallow is better than to deep.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
WOW!! The moremoremore stone is breathtaking!

Definately MODERN cushion- makes the one I posted look very ...old???

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2005 5:16:41 PM
WOW!! The moremoremore stone is breathtaking!

Definately MODERN cushion- makes the one I posted look very ...old???
Yes. Veeeeeeery old
9.gif
Actually, it does look like some "old mine cut" to me to beging with.

Very beautiful shardy stone anyway; it takes some struggle to deny the glaring fact that that''s a flawless stone with just the tiniest amount of graining. Oh well...

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s another old/new one

703c.JPG

703cert.JPG

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Awww shucks! :) That''s my baby! :)

LOL...I fully understand that if I walked in to a B&M and said I wanted a "modern cushion"....they''d think I was crazy! :)

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
This will *do* !!!!!!!!!!

DIF.gif

Stephan

Ideal_Rock

David, I prefer the first one you posted.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think antique OMC are the scarcier today, especialy in good high quality

Good luck finding them, and please let us know if anyone does

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
David, could you post the cert plot on that 7ct. honker?!? Oh, yeah, the price too!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ann,
The photos are simply for educational and discussion purposes.
None of the photos I post on PS are of stones which are for sale.....

As far as what such a stone would cost today?????
I''d say it would be in the $200K neighborhood.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
So, guys, should I just give up and get an out of this world radiant?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results