shape
carat
color
clarity

Handmade setting ...too big for finger

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Help! My new ring is too big and constantly swings over to one side when I''m typing or driving etc etc.... the jeweler told me my fingers will get larger in the summer, but it''s really bugging me. And for the $9K I spent on the setting, I really think it should fit perfectly no matter what season it is.

Do you think it''s a big deal for him to "re-do" the ring to make it a little smaller? Or, am I going to have to get one of those balls or metal spacers inside?

Thanks for your suggestions!

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
What a bummer.... If this ring was custom done for you, and the jeweler was commisioned by you, shouldn''t it have been properly sized for you? I understand that our fingers change sizes depending on temp, but how much really? A quarter of a size? How much too big would you say the ring is? Didn''t he size you before he made it for you, if so check to see that it is the size you really asked for. But yes. If you paid for a ring to fit you, then by all means it should FIT YOU!

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, he measured my finger -- and I don''t know why it''s suddenly so big...it is cold out, but should that really affect it that much? I just hope he can do something....I just wonder if he has to melt the whole thing in order to make it smaller... I emailed him about it 3 days ago and no reponse...yikes.. not a good sign.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
You really think it should fit perfectly no matter what season it is? When you find a ring like this, can you let me know? I think you could make a lot of money...
2.gif

There are ways to combat a spinning ring, but the reality for most people is that their fingers fluctuate...sometimes in a big way. My ring fits fine now (although not as fine as my prepreggers days...don''t get me started on that though), but two weeks ago while I was in Australia in the 105 degree weather, it was almost unbearable...they were sausages. On very cold days, my ring spins just a little.

Hopefully your ring isn''t ACTUALLY too big for you, but get it checked out just in case. Unfortunately no jeweler, no matter how talented or how much you throw at him/her, can make your fingers behave.
1.gif

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks ... I understand my fingers will change of course --- but didn''t know how much. I measured 2-3/4.
But, looks like he should of made it 2-1/2. I don''t mind a little spinning, but it''s becoming a habit always pushing the diamond up with my pinky. Oh well, not a huge problem, just disappointing.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2008 6:39:03 PM
Author: lovewhitediamonds
Thanks ... I understand my fingers will change of course --- but didn''t know how much. I measured 2-3/4.
But, looks like he should of made it 2-1/2. I don''t mind a little spinning, but it''s becoming a habit always pushing the diamond up with my pinky. Oh well, not a huge problem, just disappointing.
A quarter of a size is not much. I go from 4.75 to what seems like a bloody 6!!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My fingers are vastly different season to season, and even in the summer going from the heat to air conditioning. I wouldn''t get it sized/remade until you go through a full cycle of seasons and see how it is. Adding sizing beads or something of that ilk is not a bad idea though. It will keep it more stable in the winter and shouldn''t be a problem in the summer.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Mine is a 6.25 and when I was wearing this summer I thought I should have got a 6.75 or even a 7 it was so tight.

This week it''s spinning round on my fingers. Yet last Saturday I was in looking at wedding-bands and could barely get it on and off my finger - I ended up trying them all on on my little finger.

If you lose or put on any weight or change of season etc etc to say nothing of pregnancy, you finger size will change all the time. Better too big than too small.

If it really bugs you, get one of those temporary plastic bits for the bottom of the shank. I wouldn''t have sizing beads unless it''s permanently too big in all seasons or you won''t be able to fit it in the summer.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wait, wait, wait.

Why have I not seen pics of your Asscher set yet? Please! Post pics! I went looking through all of your previous posts and couldn''t find the pics!

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/10/2008 8:10:57 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
Wait, wait, wait.

Why have I not seen pics of your Asscher set yet? Please! Post pics! I went looking through all of your previous posts and couldn''t find the pics!

Busted!

Just waiting for the wedding band (now I''m worried that will be too big as well)...

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
OH BUMMER! I am so sorry! If you had your ring size checked before, and your actual ring is not the same, you need him to fix it. $9000 for a setting is a bunch of money to have it not fit well...And I am not a fan of sizing beads unless there is NO OPTION!
39.gif

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/10/2008 6:30:37 PM
Author: TravelingGal
You really think it should fit perfectly no matter what season it is? When you find a ring like this, can you let me know? I think you could make a lot of money...
2.gif

There are ways to combat a spinning ring, but the reality for most people is that their fingers fluctuate...sometimes in a big way. My ring fits fine now (although not as fine as my prepreggers days...don't get me started on that though), but two weeks ago while I was in Australia in the 105 degree weather, it was almost unbearable...they were sausages. On very cold days, my ring spins just a little.

Hopefully your ring isn't ACTUALLY too big for you, but get it checked out just in case. Unfortunately no jeweler, no matter how talented or how much you throw at him/her, can make your fingers behave.
1.gif

TravelingGal I had to smile when I read your post. No disrespect to the original poster, as I know how frustrating ill fitting rings can be, but I have to say I am also resigned to the fact that my fingers will vary according to the seasons. I am currently in the 105 degree Australian weather you speak of and my non-pregnant fingers have definitely increased in girth. Happens every year, just as I know that when winter returns again they will shrink again and my rings will be annoyingly loose. I hear you re preggers finger swelling. During both my pregnancies I couldn't get my rings on by the third trimester.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I think everyone''s fingers are different -- I''m fortunate that my weight is the same as it was in hs...and with my original e-ring I had one of those "balls" in so there was never any spinning no matter how cold it was, and it wasn''t tight in summer or even through pregnancy. Bottom line I think the ring is too big... but now I''m stuck and I don''t want another ball in it. I''m going to try to have it made smaller. We''ll see!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you ordered in a certain size and your jeweler made it in the wrong size, then they should fix it. but, if it''s the size you ordered, i highly doubt they will eat the cost and remake the setting. it may be possible to use a laser to size it down just a touch but you''re jeweler will be able to tell you if that will work. good luck!!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2008 6:30:37 PM
Author: TravelingGal
2.gif
Ha! This is what I was thinking as well
2.gif

I was "sized" (those thick sizing rings they have on a loop at the jeweler) at 6.5, but the stock rings fit at size 6... so I ordered a 6.25 to be on the safe side. During the summer it felt snug when I was extra hot, but whenever my hands were wet or cold it spun. So I had it sized down to a 6. Now it's winter, and my size 6 ring is spinning on my size 6.5 (supposedly) finger, while a size 5.5 band I've been trying lately seems to fit "just right." Go figure.

I guess my fingers change a lot depending on hot and cold, weight gain/loss, etc. Yours may be the same.

Anyway, if he sized you at, 2.75... and you ordered a 2.75... then it would be unreasonable to expect your benchman to remake your setting, IMO.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
TOTALLY off-topic, but I wanted to take this opportunity to gush to IloveWhiteDiamonds again about how much I ADORE her Tiffany Emerald and diamond 3-stone ring. Sigh.

30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I agree that waiting the full season cycle is a good idea. It could be annoying now...but imagine how annoying and costly it would be to re-do the re-do?! I know you dont love the idea, but I''d consider the sizing beads if the spinning is driving you batty. That, or take a nice holiday somewhere HOT and let your fingers sausage-up
2.gif
. You deserve the break! LOL!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would never resize any other time than the hottest part of the summer. If it is sized to fit snugly in the winter, then it could be tight at times in the summer. In addition, once you wear a wedding ring with it, that will cause it to be tighter, too. So don''t size until you are wearing both rings in the summer!

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/11/2008 12:29:52 PM
Author: mela lu
TOTALLY off-topic, but I wanted to take this opportunity to gush to IloveWhiteDiamonds again about how much I ADORE her Tiffany Emerald and diamond 3-stone ring. Sigh.

30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I agree that waiting the full season cycle is a good idea. It could be annoying now...but imagine how annoying and costly it would be to re-do the re-do?! I know you dont love the idea, but I''d consider the sizing beads if the spinning is driving you batty. That, or take a nice holiday somewhere HOT and let your fingers sausage-up
2.gif
. You deserve the break! LOL!
Thanks mela lu!! I''m just so afraid to wear it sometimes -- but she''s coming out of hiding for a big night out next Friday!
It''s funny, no one, I mean NO-ONE ever comments on it when I wear it.

Sure is nice to be a member of PS
emsmile.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Heh - I had the same internal debate of "To size, or not to size?", and when I finally gathered the energy to post a question, the universal response was "Size that baby before it drops off your finger!" I bought my setting after an hour of searching in a nice, warm store, thinking a 6 fit my 5.5. finger just fine, but then I got outside into NY in February, and ... not so much. But I figured that since I was moving to California, there was a chance that my fingers would swell, so I didn''t size it ... and then I figured that a wedding band might make the fit more snug, so I didn''t size it ... and almost a year after receiving it, I finally sized it. Now, I wear it alone on my other hand once in a while just to enjoy the sight of it sans sizer!

Dropping from a 2.75 to a 2.5 (hello, tiny fingers!) shouldn''t be too difficult, assuming you don''t have an eternity-type setting, but if you want to stay on the safe side and see how much your fingers will change in balmy weather, consider a temporary solution to bring it down to a 2.5 (plastic sizers, sizing balls, a horseshoe sizer, etc.) until you have a chance to see how it fits in the summer in its current state. He definitely shouldn''t have to redo the entire ring in order to make it fit, not unless you''re talking about something like a very delicate/complex eternity setting, or a tension ring.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2008 10:15:56 PM

Wait, wait, wait.

Busted!

Just waiting for the wedding band (now I''m worried that will be too big as well)...

Hehe, you know how this place works. You''re going to have to give up the goods now.
2.gif

We''ll completely understand your situation and give you a pass on the hand pics . . . for now!
3.gif

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/11/2008 3:02:55 PM

Date: 1/10/2008 10:15:56 PM

Wait, wait, wait.

Busted!

Hehe, you know how this place works. You''re going to have to give up the goods now.
2.gif

We''ll completely understand your situation and give you a pass on the hand pics . . . for now!
3.gif
As a proud new member of the "asscher club", believe me I can''t wait to show it off --- just waiting for the band, and getting a new camera for the close ups of that endless pool of steps!!!!
9.gif

I think I''m one of the few to ditch the RB for an Asscher -- but I will never go round again! (at least in an e-ring!)

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My fingers vary at least 1.25 sizes. My smallest ring, size 6, barely doesn''t slide off my finger in the winter while my 7.25 leaves an imprint on my finger in the summer.

Hopefully having the band to wear with it will take up a bit more space on your finger and make it fits better.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My fingers fluctuate as well, it is a bummer. My ring spins right now since it is cold but my wedding band helps to hold it in place a bit more than without. I do remember having to tug at it a bit to get it off when it was warm out, but it doesn''t bother me enough to have it altered.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
lovewhitediamonds, we''re finger twins!!! I''m a size 2 3/4 too
1.gif

Is it possible the ring is spinning because the shank is very thin? My finger size has remained the same for as long as I can remember, but when I recently had my OEC re-set into an ultra thin pave setting (1.75mm), it feels too big for my finger now. I think when a shank is very thin, it feels looser because there''s less contact between metal and your finger, so less friction to hold the ring to your finger.

I wouldn''t resize your ring without trying it on with the wedding band. Sometimes wearing two rings together magically makes them fit tighter! My OEC e-ring now feels fine when I wear it with a wedding ring and doesn''t spin or move.

I can''t wait to see pictures of your asscher in its new setting!

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2008 6:20:49 PM
Author: wolftress
lovewhitediamonds, we''re finger twins!!! I''m a size 2 3/4 too
1.gif

Is it possible the ring is spinning because the shank is very thin? My finger size has remained the same for as long as I can remember, but when I recently had my OEC re-set into an ultra thin pave setting (1.75mm), it feels too big for my finger now. I think when a shank is very thin, it feels looser because there''s less contact between metal and your finger, so less friction to hold the ring to your finger.

I wouldn''t resize your ring without trying it on with the wedding band. Sometimes wearing two rings together magically makes them fit tighter! My OEC e-ring now feels fine when I wear it with a wedding ring and doesn''t spin or move.

I can''t wait to see pictures of your asscher in its new setting!
Hi wolftress!
Thanks -- good idea, I will wait until I get my wedding band and see what happens. If it''s too big this summer, I will try to get it re-sized. So nice to know my finger twin is out there! My jeweler almost didn''t believe me when I told him my size.
I really have never met ANYONE that has my size...actually, my fingers haven''t changed since I was 6 years old. (I know weird huh?)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results