shape
carat
color
clarity

Hand pic: whats wrong with this stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stefanie

Rough_Rock
Haven''t seen a copy of the cert, but I know it says its F/SI2 1.49 carats with medium blue fluorescence. I know the diamond is about 7.75 x 6.5 x ?. Up close, there are two cloudy areas in somewhat of a triangular shape oriented like an hourglass. You can kind of see them in the picture. Are these b/c of the fluor., the stone being too shallow, or inclusions or feathers or whatever you call them. ?

ring0143.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
it could be a cloud. a copy of the grading report would be helpful.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
What you're describing sounds like bowtie (although I'm not sure about the cloudy appearance of it). Your stone looks like a cushion, which commonly has a bowtie appearance from what I've read. This is usually due to the cut of rectangular stones. Also, bowtie appearance can be caused by reflection of your head and the angle in which you are viewing it. Althought most bowties I've seen have a darker appearance rather than a cloudy one. I'm no expert on fancy cut diamonds though and I don't have much experience with them. Do you have an idealscope image to show light return?

stefanie

Rough_Rock
No, I wish I did have iIS images that could sort this out. I don''t think its a just a bowtie though, I always thought bowties were black/dark spots that would be oriented, for lack of a better term, east/west. This goes from north to south.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, that''s where I''m a little confused as well. Sorry I couldn''t help you! Can''t say I didn''t try though...
5.gif

kittycatsmac

Shiny_Rock
yes I agree with belle and aphisiglovessae both. There could be a cloud and a bowtie both in the stone marquise, princess cuts cushion cuts or really any square type stone can have this bowtie cut in the stone. I have read on PS that the bowtie is all in how well the stone is cut... the better the stone is cut the less bowtie you will have... but I will also say that I''m no expert....

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
it's not a bowtie.
since you say the pattern seems to be the same on both sides, i'm thinking it is a cloud on one side being reflected to the other. it could also be fluorescence as you have suggested, but usually medium fluorescence won't cause that much haziness.

it could also just be the angle of the photo. have you seen the ring in person?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to admit I''m not quite sure what you''re trying to point out here. Are you talking about everything EXCEPT the region in the middle which is pretty ''clear''? Cuz that region in the middle is the bowtie region where you suffer some light leakage...and it''s those other areas with the faceting that are going to give you lots of sparkle....OR are you talking about inclusions within those areas that I just can''t see (in which case a report like Belle asked for would help us identify what you''re talking about)???

stefanie

Rough_Rock
yes, I''ve seen it in person and it can look cloudy in some lights, so its not the angle of the picture. Its not all that noticeable until you look at it closer than 12 inches.

Firegoddess: It is within the faceted part of the stone that I am seeing this...I guess without more info from the cert its hard to say for certain??

My next question would be if what I''m noticing is a cloud, should this stone be an SI2? Or do I just have hawk eyes?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2006 4:32:27 PM
Author: stefanie
Firegoddess: It is within the faceted part of the stone that I am seeing this...I guess without more info from the cert its hard to say for certain??

Precisely. The report would help a lot here.
1.gif

My next question would be if what I'm noticing is a cloud, should this stone be an SI2? Or do I just have hawk eyes?

It's not uncommon to have visible inclusions in SI2 stones at that viewing distance.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2006 4:38:04 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Date: 3/30/2006 4:32:27 PM
Author: stefanie

Precisely. The report would help a lot here.
1.gif

My next question would be if what I''m noticing is a cloud, should this stone be an SI2? Or do I just have hawk eyes?

It''s not uncommon to have visible inclusions in SI2 stones at that viewing distance.
yep yep

si2 clouds that are the clarity graders would be pretty visible.
it is all just guessing though until you see what is plotted on the report.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results