shape
carat
color
clarity

Hand Made?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
What exactly does it mean when a ring is hand made. Does anyone have any links that I could read to further understand this term? I tried doing a search but only came up with info about pave. Could one of the jewelers perhaps explain this term and the pros and cons of having a piece of jewelry hand made?
Thanks!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Mat. I asked a similar question a while back but it had to do with pave.

Here''s the thread if you haven''t seen it. Neil and Bill explain some of the methods and pros and cons and I think the same would be true for rings w/out pave.

i''m looking forward to hearing from the experts too
1.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The term has so many different meanings that it’s almost useless. I don’t use it. The problem is that using tools is required for almost every jewelry item so now it’s necessary to decide what are the tools that would qualify as hand work vs. machine work. Casting? Maybe. Rotary power tools? CAD/CAM? Punch presses? Electric polishing machines? Power assisted engraving equipment? Who knows? It’s common for a craftsman to use several or none of these techniques in the course of a job and still describe their work as handmade while others would say that this disqualifies a piece. The other problem is that most modern items involve some assembly using manufactured parts. Heads, clasps, pin catches and gemstones are usually purchased as a component that may have involved automated manufacturing and a strict purist would argue that using such pieces means that it’s no longer 100% handmade. If it’s 99% handmade, can it still be described with that word?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
"Lockes settings are hand-made, not cast, and will be created for your diamond. Cast setting are mass produced, often they can have a chucky feel and look to them. Cast setting created for a solitaire setting are made in standard sizes, .50. 1.00, 1.50 etc. This is why a mentioned your Lockes setting will be created especially for your diamonds carat wt. and proportions.

Die-cast, it is my belief that rings such as signet rings are made this way. There is a mold in the shape of the ring and a weight is dropped onto that mold which forces the metal to conform to the desired shaped. I worked for an London based jeweler prior to Lockes, this is how there signet rings were made."

I had sent an email asking how the ring was being made wondering if it was being cast, or die cut, this is the reply that I was given...

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

OK, so they seem to mean that it was made by techniques other than lost wax casting or die striking. This probably means that it''s fabricated from wire (wire that quite possibly came from an automated mill by the way).

The advantage of this technique is that drawn metal has a certain density that isn’t possible with cast pieces, which helps the wear properties, and it can be more customized to exactly the right specifications than die struck pieces. It also makes it easier to pre-finish the components so that the final product can have a more detailed finish in difficult to reach spots like between the seating rings on a basket head or inside the gallery. People have been doing this for a long time so there is a certain ‘traditional’ feel to it that more modern methods have difficulty replicating.

The downside is that it’s labor intensive and therefore generally more expensive to produce. It’s also sort of an unusual talent and it’s difficult for manufacturers to hire workers with the appropriate skills. There’s not such a big demand for it because of the required pricing and it’s a tough skill to learn. Craftsmen find that they are better served concentrating their efforts developing other sorts of talents.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2006 1:34:18 PM
Author: denverappraiser

This probably means that it''s fabricated from wire (wire that quite possibly came from an automated mill by the way).

Sometimes folk use the term ''hand wrought'' for this...
38.gif

... to avoid the ambiguities mentioned.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Thanks DenverA!

Is the wire made in diffrent gauges like coppe?r How do they adjust mm widths? Do these pieces tend to last longer?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

"Die-struck Rings:

Die-struck jewelry is denser and more durable than casted or handmade pieces.
Since die-struck pieces are made from extruded metal - metal that is subjected to extremely high pressure - the pieces are free from porosity. This allows the ring to have a higher polish.
Even the thinnest die-struck prong is stronger than any casted prong.
The die-struck blank is cut to accommodate the exact size and shape of the diamonds."

From the Facets web site

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results