shape
carat
color
clarity

Hand-held steamer?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Did I dream this, or there a such a thing as a hand held device that will steam the wrinkles out of something without you having to actually iron it. I am the laziest with laundry and HATE ironing, and sometimes I leave it so long that half my wardrobe is clean but too wrinkly to wear. Isn''t that lame?!

So I have this fantasy of turning on a little steamer thingy, like dry cleaners have, and just puff puff DONE! No ironing boards, no nothing.

Does anyone own something like this? recommendations? Or tips?

If such a device exists, it''s going to be the very FIRST thing I register for. (Second will be Dyson vac... mmmm... Dyson).

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IG, I had a hand held steamer for about 10 years and I loved it. I think I paid all of $9.99 for it and it was made by Rowenta. You would put in a little water and pump this thing and it would spurt out bursts of steam. It was awesome!! Then it died...
8.gif
So I bought another similar one (this time paying $19.99--my how prices go up!) and I *like* it but I don't love it because it gives off a small constant stream of steam and opposed to pressurized bursts of steam. So it is OK if you're working with a light fabric or if whatever it is isn't too wrinkled but it isn't heavy duty at all, so I ended up buying this MONGO steamer thing. It holds like a gallon of water water and it has this long hose, and it gives off a large constant stream of steam. I used it once to steam a whole new set of curtains, but for clothes it is hit or miss. What I mean is sometimes it is TOO MUCH. On a light fabric the stream of steam will actually leave the material a little out of shape. But if you had to get a serious wrinkle out of a pair of khakis or blue jeans it's great.

About one of your main questions though; does this think completely negate the need to iron. Well, sadly, no. There will always be things that need to be ironed. Like linen blouses and things like that.

So, honestly, I use the steamer (one or the other of them) about 95% of the time, but I do end up doing a little bit of ironing.

Bet you didn't expect a complete dissertation when you posted this seemingly innocent question, did ya?!
9.gif

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
I had one that was a dream until something chewed up the cord and we had to throw it away. I am currently looking for a replacement steamer so I will post anything that looks good.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Ok, how much are you willing to spend? Because if I were you I''d go into a store and ask what they use. I worked at Express for over a year and we had a big one that was GREAT on clothes. I hate ironing and stink at it (thank goodness my BF was blessed with a father who irons and taught him to iron well) so as soon as I can I''m getting a steamer.

CVS does have a travel size one that takes a little while but works wonderfully well on light fabrics.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2007 3:44:46 PM
Author: princesss
Ok, how much are you willing to spend? Because if I were you I''d go into a store and ask what they use. I worked at Express for over a year and we had a big one that was GREAT on clothes. I hate ironing and stink at it (thank goodness my BF was blessed with a father who irons and taught him to iron well) so as soon as I can I''m getting a steamer.

CVS does have a travel size one that takes a little while but works wonderfully well on light fabrics.
I know what you are talking about; I use to work there too. hehehe
Our store manager said it cost $10,000; it is a steam chamber.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2007 9:10:43 PM
Author: Skippy123
Date: 8/11/2007 3:44:46 PM

Author: princesss

I know what you are talking about; I use to work there too. hehehe

Our store manager said it cost $10,000; it is a steam chamber.

Ooooh, I loved the closet-style one, but I was actually talking about the one used to steam individual items when customers had to wear button downs out of the store/got picky about wrinkles.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Mmmm... steam chamber sounds kind of nice. I might like that as an attachment in my shower. Or maybe something out of sci fi or fantasy movie... ''And now, you must enter the STEAMCHAMBER of POOKAPAK! If you emerge alive... then you shall be KING.''

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Bed Bath and Beyond seems to carry a few options (none involving king making abilities though), including Rowenta brand. I''ll start a registry there and put one on. I wonder if consumers reports ever reviewed these?

YAY! Only 8 more months to wrinkle free clothes! (oh dear). I wish our wedding was sooner.
9.gif

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/12/2007 9:18:20 AM
Author: Independent Gal
Mmmm... steam chamber sounds kind of nice. I might like that as an attachment in my shower. Or maybe something out of sci fi or fantasy movie... ''And now, you must enter the STEAMCHAMBER of POOKAPAK! If you emerge alive... then you shall be KING.''

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Bed Bath and Beyond seems to carry a few options (none involving king making abilities though), including Rowenta brand. I''ll start a registry there and put one on. I wonder if consumers reports ever reviewed these?

YAY! Only 8 more months to wrinkle free clothes! (oh dear). I wish our wedding was sooner.
9.gif
OMG I''m hysterical here! Tears! Literally!

FWIW, I have a hand-held and I end up using it a lot, and *not* mostly on clothes. It''s amazing how much I want to "disinfect" things (i.e. my toothbrush, the toilet handle, etc.) and how much I use it on the shower curtain and other harder-to-clean places when I don''t want to inhale tons o'' chemicals.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Jiffy Steamer makes a fabulous travel steamer which I believe is like $70. It''s expensive but I''ve found it to be great quality. I have had my share of Rowenta, Conair, etc small steamers and finally broke down and purchased a Jiffy larger steamer. I loved it so much that I purchased the travel one. I always bring a steamer on vacation with me and this works so much better than the others I''ve had.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tip! ''Jiffy''! Travel size is good, given we''re two people with two closets and 800 sq ft. Not a lot of extra room for gadgets. I''ll check into the Jiff.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I have a Connair hand held steamer. They just don''t make ''em like they used to. I had one that was really powerful and after 15 years of faithful service it started putting out rust colored steam, so I threw it away. I miss it!

One tip is to put a little salt in the water. It helps it steam more effectively.

Elise

Rough_Rock
i don''t have a handheld steamer but i do have one that boutiques use (see picture below) and i love it! it cost me only usd150 and has completely eradicated my need for an ironing board and iron. it doesn''t work all that well on dress shirts and pants which are to be ironed from scratch. but those get sent to the laundromat anyway, at least for me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results