shape
carat
color
clarity

HALP! Dinner for a new mom!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
My DH and I are going over to meet our friends'' new baby this evening. I''m really excited! I know they''re super-busy right now, so I wanted to cook them dinner, with copious leftovers.

Unfortunately, she''s got some restrictions on her diet. No dairy, no spice, no onion, and she''s sensitive to garlic. What''s a bang-up recipe I can make within these restrictions? I''d prefer something I can pop in the oven. Any ideas?

Thanks so much! As a big lover of dairy, spice, onion, and garlic, I''m sort of at a loss here.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Maybe either a big pot of chicken noodle soup (made without onion) or a vegetarian lasagna or baked ziti made with dairy-free soy cheese? I''m at a loss too ...

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Beef stew sans onions?

Um. Wow. And I thought cooking for someone with a corn allergy was hard!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was going to suggest beef stew too. That''s a tough one!

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Shoot. How does soy cheese compare to regular cheese? I can always substitute in soy milk for regular milk (we have our own soy milk maker, so it''s nice and fresh), but ouch on the no cheese! I was originally going to make that pumpkin baked ziti (AMAZING), but that has pretty much everything on the list.

I found a recipe online for radiatore pasta with chicken, bacon, white wine, and tomatoes. It''s simmered for 20 minutes, so all the alcohol would burn off by then. Really wanted to pop something in the oven, but maybe this''ll have to do.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Beef, chicken and veggie (bell pepper, tomato) kabobs marinated in a mild (maybe fruity) sauce?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about roasting a whole chicken or turkey? They could have it hot then it would provide lots of leftovers for sammiches and the basis of really quick meals for a couple of days. Or you could bring them a cooked ham come to that.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
similar to what lorelei mentioned, what about making a stuffed chicken or two (or prepping one for them and freeze it so they can just pop it in the oven and making the other for now)...and then something like mashed potatoes (with soy milk or similar). or like a mini thanksgiving dinner? little turkey (or chicken), mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and a loaf of sourdough. then they could eat dinner, make sandwiches like lorelei said, etc.

i was going to say mac and cheese but the no dairy nixes that. does she like soy and/or tofu products? if not then that may be hard. the other thing is lasagna but also hard with no dairy and no garlic, yikes!

actually one suggestion fresh in my mind... i made chicken n dumplings last nite and it's super easy, it's a friend's recipe. it's basically chicken breasts that you boil then shred, use the broth along with more chicken broth (boxed or canned), a bay leaf, salt and pepper and then you roll out homestyle biscuit dough with flour, cut then into small strips and then drop them into the simmering broth. let it all simmer for 10-15 min then the longer it sits the thicker it gets. it's REALLY good and super easy and you can freeze the leftovers. considering it is just chicken, bay leaf, salt, pepper, biscuits it's sooo flavorful.

though i just thought, does biscuit dough have dairy?

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto the stew or maybe a hearty soup? I always like to make something for new moms that can freeze easily so that it will provide more than one meal or they don''t feel like they have to eat it right away.

Morgie44

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe a meatloaf, shepherd''s pie, or scalloped potatos and ham with soy milk?

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the ideas! I think I''ll go with that pasta, and make some individual frozen meals they can pop in the microwave when they''re busy. I like the idea of mashed potatoes with soy milk! I''ll probably make some meals with that. I wish I had time to do shepherd''s pie (I loooove shepherd''s pie), but I''m already skipping out on work a bit early to get ''er done.

Thanks again!

Loves2Laugh

Shiny_Rock
I second the Kabobs. Make plenty for leftovers!

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/6/2009 1:40:46 PM
Author: Mara

actually one suggestion fresh in my mind... i made chicken n dumplings last nite and it''s super easy, it''s a friend''s recipe. it''s basically chicken breasts that you boil then shred, use the broth along with more chicken broth (boxed or canned), a bay leaf, salt and pepper and then you roll out homestyle biscuit dough with flour, cut then into small strips and then drop them into the simmering broth. let it all simmer for 10-15 min then the longer it sits the thicker it gets. it''s REALLY good and super easy and you can freeze the leftovers. considering it is just chicken, bay leaf, salt, pepper, biscuits it''s sooo flavorful.

Wow, that sounds goooood, Mara! Can you post specifics of the recipe (how much, how long, etc.)? And what did you use for the biscuit dough? Thanks!

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, I''ve made a recipe similar to that before. It was soooo good. I might make some up for my friend tonight. Super easy too, if I remember right
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here's the recipe, i was going to post it but then i got distracted lol.

my friend who is from Texas used to make this for her husband, and i'd always be like 'what are chicken n dumplings'?? she was appalled I didn't know. so she posted this recipe for me on her blog. i've made it twice for us and Greg loves it! plus this recipe below makes a TON and she says you can freeze it.

i usually third (1/3) it for greg and i and we get a meal for 2-3 nights out of a 1/3 recipe. it is SO easy and hardly any ingedients. if you have 2 chicken breasts and a can of biscuits in the house, you can make this soup.

Chicken n' Dumplings:

Ingredients:
8 boneless skinless chicken breasts (note: i use chicken breasts with the bone in because i think it gives a it more flavor to the broth it makes)
3 bay leaves
3 cans of biscuits, with 10 biscuits each [It is IMPORTANT that you get the cheap kind. Don't get fancy biscuits aka 'flaky, super flaky, buttermilk']. (note: i use pillsbury 'homestyle' biscuits)
flour, as needed
16 ounces chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot that is non-stick or good quality cover chicken breasts with water. Add bay leaves and salt and pepper. Boil chicken for about 40min or until chicken is cooked through and tender.

Meanwhile, flour a smooth surface. With a rolling pin, roll the biscuits out on the flour, until they are thin. Using a sharp knife, slice the biscuit dough into 2-3 long strips. Then cut long strips into 1/2 horizontally. Set aside on a plate or bowl.

Once chicken is cooked, pull chicken out and cut into cubes or shred. Pour chicken broth through a strainer to remove bay leaves, unwanted starch and fat. Place strained chicken broth and bay leaves back into the large pot, add additional chicken broth (16 oz) and allow to simmer. Put chicken back into the broth pot, bring to a simmer.

Slowly add strips of biscuit dough, stirring gently and stirring often. You do not want biscuit dough or chicken to stick to the bottom of the pot and you want all the biscuit strips to be coated in broth. Once all the strips are added, allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Poke any strips that rise up back down evey few minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve warm. The longer you let this 'sit' the thicker it will get. YUM!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the recipe Mara! It sounds yummy! I think I''m going to have to make it this weekend, or at least next week if we''re still eating the beef stew/soup I just made.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Mara! I''ve never had/made chicken and biscuits either, but I''ve always been curious about it so I''m looking forward to trying this recipe
18.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results