shape
carat
color
clarity

Halo cushion for a small finger, larger budget?

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
You can pick an emerald cut for me any day! The one you found is fantastic!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
WHEW!!!

I am so happy you talked to her.

SEE. THIS is why we advise it.

Here you were all thinking "halo" and she doesn't like them!

Can you imagine!

THANK GOODNESS YOU TALKED TO HER.

OKAY.

So, remember what I wrote above that if you bought the 3 carat BE gorgeous antique cut cushion, I would advise you to put it in a tapered french cut setting? THIS: http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/the-sophia-french-cut-solitaire-with-radiant exactly what I meant.

FYI. If you are in LA. Tell her to got to Single Stone. She will be in heaven.

Honestly, If I were you? I'd go and buy her ring from there. It would be a perfect fit for what she likes. Even if you aren't in LA, go to Singlestone. Seriously. If I had your budget and her style ... I'd be shopping at Single stone

I'd get her an EC or an antique cushion.

Here's my personal favorite Singlestone ring. No halo, and they work in all metal colors:

I'd get her an EC or an antique cushion.

6177b6214ccdebab168cfbdeccf268a8.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's a suggestion for a setting Victor could make for you:
engage6.jpg

You could get one of these stones for example. You would put on hold and request an ASET. Then post and we'll help you pick.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/3.01-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-338377
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/3.01-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-323532
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/3.01-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-323551

Assume 8-10k for the setting in platinum (the side stones will be expensive). And you are looking at a VERY lovely ring. And very uncommon. With a substantial stone. But also not something she would be uncomfortable with. And it will be in the 50-65k range for the whole piece. Which is much more reasonable than 100k.

:wavey:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if I agree with people that like radiants liking Emerald cuts - radiants are a fast flash in scintillation pattern to my eye, Emerald cuts are the opposite slow and broad flashes.

If you live near Victor, make an appointment and either let her go with her sister or both of you go and let her try things on, he has a variety of cuts at the moment and he gives a bit of a discount if you purchase the stone and the setting from him. His french cut sides setting is just divine so she has great taste, and he is a lovely guy as well. The only way she is going to know for sure is by trying things on. I know that I have loved things in pictures but when I have put them on not so much and other times I have picked up something and put it on and it was amazing.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
She said asschers. That's a step cut.

And deco styles. So I think it's not a stretch to say ECs are okay.

If she hadn't listed asschers, I wouldn't have suggested an EC.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: YAY, so happy to hear that you two decided upon a way to facilitate the selection of a ring that will make her heart sing!

I have some ideas, but will hold off on posting anything until you are able to share feedback from the initial forays she makes with her sister in the next several weeks. You all are fortunate to be in/near LA where there are a number of good jewelers, estate and custom. What fun for the two of them, and then for you as a couple :))

thebigjdoe

Rough_Rock
I think it is critical to go see stones next to each other.

I went with the no-surprise route and began looking online with my GF. She was convinced she wanted an oval cut. By the time we finished looking at various stores at different stones, we ended up going with a VC round halo. I think looking in person is key as it is different than seeing a 40x image online. Not that seeing the exact stone needs to be in person, but at least to see what type of cut she likes. If you ask me, surprise = overrated. She is wearing this ring everyday forever, and co-shopping with the GF was tons of fun!

Either way, we are from the bay area and made a mini vacation centered around visiting Victor. The guy is awesome, no pressure, and will show you tons of stones, and any completed settings he has on hand. Tell him what you are thinking, and after some weeks, you will have a perfect setting, better than you could have imagined. That was my experience with him.

I'm no expert on stones, but you are in good hands with all the members above who have posted options.

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
We would be bad PSers to forget to point out this stunner of last year, Asscher Girl's 2.5 emerald cut. Sebastien Barier setting from 66mint in San Francisco with a vintage stone I believe.
I have a 3.5 ring size and a stone that is 8.5 mm, sometimes it's good to measure across the finger that way than carat size as stone cuts differ so much. This is how mine looks:

Also look up Fran Fine's emerald cut. You are in good hands and doing great-you will end up with a great ring your girl will love. Good you asked her, and she has a twin!

_23604.jpg

_23605.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1414390893|3773204 said:
She said asschers. That's a step cut.

And deco styles. So I think it's not a stretch to say ECs are okay.

If she hadn't listed asschers, I wouldn't have suggested an EC.

O.K Asschers and Emeralds similar families I get that but IMHO you are either an Emerald person or you are not an Emerald person, there isn't a lot of middle ground. I agree with the others she needs to go and try on a heap of things and work out what her visual preferences are in real life...... Things that look great on the web or even in shop windows can and do look totally different on the hand.

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
A 3-carat Asscher, since they face up smaller, perfection!

fizgig

Rough_Rock
I continue to be amazed at all of the help and good spirit here.

It turns out she didn't like the proportions of emerald cuts when I showed them to her. Sorry, I should have mentioned that earlier. But she might change her mind upon trying them out. My hunch is she's going to like cushions or Asscher's, but I've been wrong on this multiple times already :)

We won't be able to stop by stop by VC for advanced planning (it's still a plane flight), and I don't think she'd want to participate that much in the process, given how uncomfortable she was having the conversation at all. She's going to check some things out with her sister in a few weeks, and if she comes back with stronger opinions, I may move forward with diamond selection and come back here for tips. And if she doesn't have strong opinions, I think I'd get something inexpensive to propose with, and we can go design-shopping together.

I'm not sure how I missed 66 Mint before, and I'll need to check it out. And the designs as Single Stone seem right up her alley. I've also been curious about Suetake Bros (http://suetakebros.com/) in SF.

Anyway, I think the search may die down for a few weeks now. Thanks so much for talking me out of some expensive mistakes! I'll definitely check back in if I need more help, or to share the final result.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results