shape
carat
color
clarity

Hair Up or Hair Down? How did you decide???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brown_eyes

Shiny_Rock
So I keep going back and forth as to what I should do with my hair for the wedding.

I kindof want to stay away from the half up-half down because it has been way overdone in my group of friends and I want something different.

I thought I wanted a loose, curly, low bun with a flower on the side but I wear my hair down 99% of the time and want to feel like myself on my wedding day without having my same old everyday hair. That probably makes no sense at all...

I have long, thick, dark brown hair and it''s naturally a little wavy, but I usually wear it straight. When my FMIL asked my FFIL how he invisioned my hair, he said it HAD to be down because it''s like my signature. I have heard this more than once, so I''m questioning whether I should even be considereing wearing it up at all. I guess I see wearing it up as more special or more bridal.

So, if you went back and forth between what you wanted to do with your hair, how did you decide and what did you decide on??

Also, does anyone have some inspiration pics of bridal hair completely down that you could share??

pinki

Shiny_Rock
My dress has a higher collar in the back so I went with up. I think it depends on your veil, jewelry and neckline. Plus I want to dance without being crazy hot and hair down would definitely be hot (mine is very long and thick)

Cj

meresal

Ideal_Rock
My hair at the time of my wedding was long, to my mid back, and it was July in Texas.

I mess with and flip my hair all of the time when it is down, so to me putting it up was my only option, unless I wanted 5000 pictures of me with my hands in or around my hair.

brown_eyes

Shiny_Rock
My wedding is at the end of May in Texas.

I am always playing with my hair when it''s down.

I would love to not have to worry about it while dancing.

Looks like hair up is winning, does anyone have any points for wearing your hair down?

brown_eyes

Shiny_Rock
Also, for some added information:

My dress is the La Sposa Fanal (strapless) and I''m wearing it with a plain cathedral length veil. I''m thinking just earrings and a bracelet and no necklace as far as the jewelry goes.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Here is what I did.

I only wore my cathedral length veil for the ceremony. After leaving the church I removed my veil and then took one of the gardenias out of my bridal bouquet put it in my hair on the way to the reception. It tucked into the bun perfectly. I didn't worry about my hair ALL night.

Re: Jewelry... I had thin straps, and wore diamon studs and a diamond drop necklace. Since your dress is strapless, not wearing a necklace will really elongate your neckline, but I wouldn't want it to look like you have no jewelry on. I would wear some earring that are definitely noticeable.

mcwedding72509_55.jpg

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
I wore mine up but I had worked so hard growing it out all year I wish I would have worn it down, oh well, c''est la vie

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I don't look good with my hair up (nor is it really 'me') so down it was. I wore it half pulled back and curled.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
I have long hair which I usually wear down. But when I tried on my wedding dress, I looked far better with my hair up (otherwise I just looked like everyday me trying on a wedding dress - but when my hair was up I looked like a BRIDE!) So it''s probably worth trying on your dress (if you have it) and messing around a bit with your hair and a few grips, to see what works. Even if you don''t have your dress, just doing this in front of a mirror will give you an idea of what you look best with.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
my dress was strapless and I wore my long hair down and loosly curled. normally I wear a ponytail, but DH likes it down and I wanted a little more casual lookso I was deciding between loose updo and loose curls. The long wavy curls looked better proportion-wise with my curvy figure in a strapless dress.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I typically wear it down and straight, but have decided to do a loose cascading curl updo for the big day. My dress has a very low sweetheart back, and when debating hairstyles with my stylist, she suggested up so the cut of the back of the dress would be noticed more than if my hair was down.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wore my hair down and had some extensions put in for fullness.

I chose that style because I feel I look like an alien with my hair up. I''m really glad I went with it down.

havenHairDown.jpg

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I had the same dilemma, I first wanted to wear my hair up since I never do, but then I thought it looked better down and curled and I just kept going back and forth. When I went in for my trial though the hairdresser said my hair would never hold curls all day and I had to put it up. I ended loving having my hair up since it was so different than how I normally look. I was originally planning on taking it down for the reception but I was so happy I kept it.

I say try both up and down at your trial and then decide which works better.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2010 9:51:20 AM
Author: brown_eyes
My wedding is at the end of May in Texas.

I am always playing with my hair when it''s down.

I would love to not have to worry about it while dancing.

Looks like hair up is winning, does anyone have any points for wearing your hair down?
I wore mine up for exactly these reasons. My hair was almost to my waist by the time of my wedding.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
My decision was entirely influenced by the weather. I look my best with my long hair down... but on my wedding day (of which 90% was spent outside), I woke up to pouring rain and super frizzy hair! I wore it up. Still regret it, though honestly, it stayed put all day where as if it were down, it would have looked disastrous by the end of the night!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I wore my hair half up half down due to the tropical humid weather. My hair goes naturally wavy in this weather but not enough to look good, so I had it curled. I wanted to leave the majority of it down as DH loves it down and long and I had spent so much time growing it, it seemed a waste to pull it all back.

ETA - Yikes!!! Sorry it's so big, don't know what happened there!!!!

honey22hairshotexample.jpg

brown_eyes

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies ladies!

I guess I''ll have to see what my hair stylist says the day of the trial. I''m so conflicted on this, but it''ll all work out and I''m sure I''ll love it either way.

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
I wrestled with the same decision... until I came up with the perfect solution!

About my hair:
It's about the same length as honey's (
1.gif
), wavy/curly. Semi-thick.

I almost always wear my hair down. Half of the time it is straightened, the other half of the time it is either left alone or i take a curling iron to it.
My fiance LOVES it when my hair is down and really curly, but I love the idea of it being up and out of the way for dancing/eating/cake pics... etc.

So, I am going to have my hairstylist (who is a friend of my moms) curl my hair in the morning and I'll just wear it like that for the ceremony with a veil and a headpiece. Then on the way to the reception, I'll have her pin it up for me! I get both looks so I don't have to compromise, plus I get two different looks for pictures! Soft and romantic for the ceremony, and sexy and sophisticated for the reception!

Maybe that'll be an option for you as well? Even if you just have a bridesmaid who is decent at doing hair pin the curls up for you, I don't think it'd be that difficult to do.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Basically, the weather decided for me. We got married outside in August... I would have liked to have some curls cascading down, but I knew I would get hot and sweat, and that would not have looked pretty at all! It had to be a total up-do.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s important to consider a few main things:
1) How your hair does/doesn''t hold style/curl
2) How you envision yourself as a bride
3) What will work best with your dress/accessories

The decision was easy for me just because my hair, though quite long at the time of our wedding, REFUSES to hold curl. In order to curl it just for the loose (and heavily pinned) curls in my updo, the stylist had to put the curling iron on its highest setting (which she said she typically only ever needs for non-caucasion hair). Had I worn it down, it would have been a droopy, tangled, limp mess before the ceremony even began. Also, I just always envisioned myself as an updo bride - every picture in my head of me in a wedding dress was me with an updo. And, as for my dress, the cut of the strapless neckline looked best on me with my hair off of my shoulders.

marlie

Brilliant_Rock
i totally can''t decide! i typically like ''down'' dos but FI said he loves my neck and likes my hair up. i hate the way i look from the front with my hair all up. anyway, that was no help...just wanted to say i feel your pain!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
I am really struggling as well. I always wear my hair up for a few reasons, I naturally run warm and sweat easily, especially at big functions like a wedding. I fidget with my hair to no end when it is down, and I personally don''t like taking the time to mess with it. Now everyone on the planet always tells me I should wear it down because it is so beautiful and bla bla bla. But I just dread I will get too hot and wish I could put it up. Half up may be the compromise, but I think after reading all of this, I will talk to my stylist. Sigh... sorry I am no help.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I am having my hair up to show off the back of my dress.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results