shape
carat
color
clarity

Hair Straightening

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dendon

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone personally had their hair straightened using the "Bio Ionic Process"? My hair is really curly and my hair dresser spends about 1-2 hours on it when I want it straightened for a couple of days.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Bump! :)

That sounds like fun!

My hair''s very, very straight anyway (apparently unusually so for European hair) so I just run the straightners over it quickly to flatten down any stray bits.

I guess you don''t want it permanently straight? I heard you can get it straightened in the same way you get a perm... (without the curlers!). Is that what you''re talking about?

x x x

niccia

Shiny_Rock
Do you mean Thermal reconditioning (TR) ? If so, I had it done about 4 years ago by a girl in Toronto who has since left. I researched very carefully before I let anyone do it, as it can be very damaging when done wrong (chemical haircut, 90 degree bend etc). I know a lot of Korean salons do it, and many more salons offer it now than when I first had it done. Anyway, it cost me about $1000 at the time, and my hair was wonderfully straight and sleek (much less volume) for about a year. I only had wavy frizzy hair to begin with though, and it was pretty straight until my ears, so thats why it lasted so long. If your hair is very curly you will have to get it done more often. I didn''t find it very damaging, my hair actually looked a lot better. I haven''t done it again since then, but I often think about doing so.

Note: I still used a straightening iron after TR, but mostly just to smooth it.
Hope that helps :)

niccia

Shiny_Rock
Also...the difference between TR and regular chemical straightening is that the hair will not revert back. Once it is straight, it is straight (when done properly), and only new growth has to be done.

loverocks

Shiny_Rock
One of my close girlfriends has hair that sounds just like yours. She started doing the thermal reconditioning a few years ago (I think it cost her about 800 for the first appt). She loves it! Her hair is pin straight and very easy to style/blow dry and it looks like she takes a flat iron to it but really she doesn''t. I have to say it really looks great and very silky looking. Think panteen commercial. After the first time, you just go back for them to do touch ups at the roots (new growth).
There are some horror stories though, so I would definetly see if you could find someone certified to do it.

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
There''s a new method out called Brazilian Straightening or something like that. My stylist told me it''s a lot less damaging to your hair than TR (while TR stands for thermal reconditioning, it''s doesn''t actually condition, it just smooths your hair folicles). It doesn''t get your hair quite as pin straight as TR though so if that''s what you''re going for it''s better for girls with wavy/frizzy hair.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I don't recommend it.

I have super curly Dominican hair and I need a chemical treatment every six months or so because my roots get really, really curly/unmanageable. The Bio treatment is too rough and this is coming from someone that has really tight curls, it dries your ends, and your hair will get curly again eventually but it will look crazy. Half will have curls, then straight, and then curls. Not worth it.

If you are looking for something to loosen the curls, I recommend a very soft relaxer. It can knock off the waves without permanent restructuring.

If you don't want a chemcial treatment, I personally don’t like doing the chemical treatments anymore, I recommend having them place a deep conditioner in your hair and then do rollers first. After rollers, your hair will be much easier to straighten. It's also a lot healthier.

Also, if the person doing your hair has to follow up with a flat iron...then find another hair dresser. Flat irons destroy your hair. It's ok for an event but if you are like me and are doing your hair every two weeks or so, it can reallly ruin your ends.

I usually do the conditioner and go under the dryer (15 mins), have them do rollers (takes about an hour to dry), have them blow dry, and then they do what the Dominicans call as a "doobie." They basically wrap your hair around your head and keep it up with pins. It keeps your hair from getting frizzy. I also do it myself at home because hair tends to frizz while sleeping.

ETA: If your end goal is permanently straight hair, then dish out the money for these treatments. If your goal is to make straightening easier, then don't.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have not, but I have heard about the keratin treatment, which replaces the Brazilian which had formaldehyde...I hear great things about it. I have curly/wavy hair and I color it and this process is safe and supposedly really helps with the frizz. It does not straighten chemically supposedly. I might try it but after my son's bar mitzvah.

Some of these things can ruin your hair, others are fine. You have to go to good salons and really ask questions...

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 9:11:11 AM
Author: niccia
Do you mean Thermal reconditioning (TR) ? If so, I had it done about 4 years ago by a girl in Toronto who has since left. I researched very carefully before I let anyone do it, as it can be very damaging when done wrong (chemical haircut, 90 degree bend etc). I know a lot of Korean salons do it, and many more salons offer it now than when I first had it done. Anyway, it cost me about $1000 at the time, and my hair was wonderfully straight and sleek (much less volume) for about a year. I only had wavy frizzy hair to begin with though, and it was pretty straight until my ears, so thats why it lasted so long. If your hair is very curly you will have to get it done more often. I didn''t find it very damaging, my hair actually looked a lot better. I haven''t done it again since then, but I often think about doing so.

Note: I still used a straightening iron after TR, but mostly just to smooth it.
Hope that helps :)
I had Thermal Reconditioning done on my hair 4 years ago in Toronto as well. I went to a Korean salon recommended by a friend. It took them about 3 hours to process my hair and charged me $170! I wish I could get that kind of deal now!

Like you, niccia, my hair was super-straight and sleek, shiny and healthy-looking. When I went to a hair dresser a couple of months later for a trim, she thought my hair was naturally straight.

I loved the look except for the annoying static in my hair that I wasn''t expecting.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 10:31:00 AM
Author: diamondfan
I have not, but I have heard about the keratin treatment, which replaces the Brazilian which had formaldehyde...I hear great things about it. I have curly/wavy hair and I color it and this process is safe and supposedly really helps with the frizz. It does not straighten chemically supposedly. I might try it but after my son''s bar mitzvah.

Some of these things can ruin your hair, others are fine. You have to go to good salons and really ask questions...

I read about this in last Sunday''s L.A Times. Here''s the story online:
http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-ig-beauty17-2008aug17,0,4057563.story

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Charger, thanks! For sure lets me know that I should look into the new and improved version!!!

dendon

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the replies! I have a consultation tomorrow with a reputable hair stylist here in Vegas so hopefully he''ll give me some good (and not too expensive!!) news!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results