shape
carat
color
clarity

Hair loss... so sad

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Begonia, I'm so sorry. It's not just hair, it's part of ourselves. It's always been there, it seems, when we look in the mirror, so its loss is really a loss. Please accept another hug from a stranger.

And perhaps the doctor, or treatments, can help.

Right??? I'm grieving it's loss, I do believe.

Leaning in for that hug... I hope I haven't replied twice here LOL. Darn shiftwork. If so, hug × 2.

I'm sure hoping it's an easy fix... hoping. Sigh. Nothing is ever easy it seems

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel your pain @Begonia. For the first time in my life, my normally really thick, strong hair started to fall out last year. I definitely think in my case it was stress, (moving country, waiting for our house to finally be built, plus other things), I was so concerned I started looking in to toppers (the wiggy things that just cover the front) as I could see my scalp.

I started using this https://kerotin.com/products/keroti...hz8EXXYt8Q-dvaMJAKAEHFvsuuivqk8QaAlJZEALw_wcB

I definitely noticed that my hands weren’t covered in hair after I’d washed it, and it didn’t leave my hair or scalp feeling greasy. I also tried to cut down on washing and using heated tools on my hair. I’m not claiming it worked miracles, but I definitely think it’s helped and my hair isn’t shedding anywhere near as much, and does look fuller.

I’ve always had people tell me what lovely thick hair I have, so it was awful to be able to see my scalp.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Take care beautiful lady! Healing vibes across the kms! And congrats on your sons graduation--FABU!! He'll go far!

cheers--Sharon

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I feel your pain @Begonia. For the first time in my life, my normally really thick, strong hair started to fall out last year. I definitely think in my case it was stress, (moving country, waiting for our house to finally be built, plus other things), I was so concerned I started looking in to toppers (the wiggy things that just cover the front) as I could see my scalp.

I started using this https://kerotin.com/products/kerotins-intensive-hair-growth-drops?currency=USD&variant=39892583874640&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&stkn=2c887bd110d5&gc_id=18275821639&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3uGqBhDdARIsAFeJ5r08VQNcHi6cthCy0cfXPKehz8EXXYt8Q-dvaMJAKAEHFvsuuivqk8QaAlJZEALw_wcB

I definitely noticed that my hands weren’t covered in hair after I’d washed it, and it didn’t leave my hair or scalp feeling greasy. I also tried to cut down on washing and using heated tools on my hair. I’m not claiming it worked miracles, but I definitely think it’s helped and my hair isn’t shedding anywhere near as much, and does look fuller.

I’ve always had people tell me what lovely thick hair I have, so it was awful to be able to see my scalp.

I know you do girl, I know you do. Same with my hair... used to be thick. Then meno, but this? This is whole new territory for me. I dread seeing more scalp each day.

I'll check out this product too. Strangely, since I stopped the rosemary water, my scalp is itchy. I wonder what that's about... good sign or not so good. It's hard to know what to do when you're kinda panicky.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock

I love this cut! If I had just wavy (rather than curly) hair, I'd totally do this!

@Begonia I have zero affiliation with this company (Calecim Professional Hair System), I read about one of their skincare products on a blog, and decided to try it. It's been amazing for hydration, nearly eliminating fine lines, and boosting collagen production. My skin glows.

On one order, I had a sample of their "Professional Serum" included, and found it was incredible for healing little things like mosquito bites (I usually react badly to bug bites), and when I accidentally got too much sun on my face where I'd neglected to put sunscreen (special smart, that was...), after one night of using just a few drops on my face, my skin showed no sign of sunburn the next morning.

The reason I mention my experience is so that you know the skincare aspect works, and therefore, the haircare may also be good. I'm fortunate to have arrested my hair thinning (by adding higher dosages of Vitamin D, and other supplements that support absorption of Vitamin D), or I would definitely have tried this.

Yet another gentle hug to you, for all that you're experiencing at the moment.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
HI:

Take care beautiful lady! Healing vibes across the kms! And congrats on your sons graduation--FABU!! He'll go far!

cheers--Sharon

Will do friend, and to you as well! Thank you!! He was just knee high and now... sigh. The days are long but the years are short. I am rich in so many ways.
Salut - Kelly

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started using a rosemary oil from Kerastase 5 weeks ago, that my hairdresser recommended. It’s called Anti Hair Fall. I use it twice a week & a different caffeine tonic in between. I think these, combined with the natural HRT, have all contributed to slowing down the shed. It could be better, but it could be worse. Thankfully I have a lot of hair (albeit very fine) so others don’t notice.

I have kept short layers over the last few years to make it look thicker, but actually my new hairdresser (mine has been on Mat leave since April) suggested we grow the layers out into a bob to thicken it up, as the layers were removing density. It’s taking a while & I keep my hair currently neck length (not quite to my shoulders) but it is definitely looking better.

I must try this product. I used to use Kerastase for colored hair. Love their line!

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
@Begonia i am so sorry you are dealing with this. A dermatologist on youtube has several videos dealing with hair loss which you may want to watch. The below is an example:

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

I'm so sad. My hair is falling out. I'm not exactly sure why but could be stress (bullied and harassed at work), meds (alendronate for osteoporosis) , thyroid, low iron, all of the above or even more.

I've just gone to the doc, who has ordered blood work (iron and thyroid). I was almost done taking the alendronate as you need to stop after a few years, so I went off of it. The side effects were tough and now the hair possibly??? Nope.

My bangs are disappearing fast and my part up front is freaking me out. 3 months ago it was fine, I think?

I'd grown my hair out 6 years ago after a 25 year pixie and it used to be pretty. Not as full as I'd like after menopause, but it was wavy and pewter color. Now it's lifeless and... leaving me.

I'm thinking of cutting it shorter. It's currently just below shoulder (lob) as I was growing it after a disastrous (and no asked for) shag cut last year. Maybe if I cut it, the thinning won't be so noticeable I dunno...

The doctor has suggested Rogaine mousse. I'm nervous about it but desperate not to lose anymore.

This s*cks and I wanna cry.

Thank you so much for the courage to share your struggle and I am sorry you are going through this. You are not alone and it’s devastating.

For me, the consensus is my age but something triggered dramatic hair loss over the last 6 months. I have taken every step to battle this; I am on hormone replacement, use a speciality shampoo, trying Nutrafol supplements, apply Rogaine 5% daily and on a prescription medication for it. I have been on this for over 3 months and starting to see a lower volume of daily hair loss and baby hair regrowth at my temples and hairline. I understand I will have to commit to this regimen to continue the results, but I am seeing results.

I recently cut my hair to a longer bob and went lighter in color to camouflage my scalp showing through. I am able to hide my scalp with Living Proof dry shampoo and their texture spray does help too.

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started losing hair pretty heavily with menopause. I'm on HRT (bio identical) and its stopped coming out. While not as thick as it used to be, I don't have handfuls coming out. For me, HRT also ment balancing my thyroid because yeah it kinda went to crap. Stress dosen't help either.

Minoxodil doesn't help me at all, makes me quite ill and causes the worst strawberry hives ever. You could try it of course. Some have better luck internal than others (I can't do that either)

I'm very sorry you're dealing with this.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
@Begonia i am so sorry you are dealing with this. A dermatologist on youtube has several videos dealing with hair loss which you may want to watch. The below is an example:

Thank you!! Just at work now but watched them earlier. V e r y helpful!!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gentle Hugs @Begonia ! I feel your pain. I have several autoimmune diseases and my hair has definitely thinned. At one time, I did have hunks falling out. My stylist always knows when I’m in a flare because my scalp gets red.

I try and do a cold rinse when I wash my hair. I massage my scalp for blood flow. I haven’t tried the prescription hair products but agree with the tests @missy recommended. If she didn’t list it - Vitamin D blood test too. My Vit D is frequently low and my hair loss seems worse then. Just my experience. Take care of you!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for the courage to share your struggle and I am sorry you are going through this. You are not alone and it’s devastating.

For me, the consensus is my age but something triggered dramatic hair loss over the last 6 months. I have taken every step to battle this; I am on hormone replacement, use a speciality shampoo, trying Nutrafol supplements, apply Rogaine 5% daily and on a prescription medication for it. I have been on this for over 3 months and starting to see a lower volume of daily hair loss and baby hair regrowth at my temples and hairline. I understand I will have to commit to this regimen to continue the results, but I am seeing results.

I recently cut my hair to a longer bob and went lighter in color to camouflage my scalp showing through. I am able to hide my scalp with Living Proof dry shampoo and their texture spray does help too.

You go girl. I'm glad you're throwing everything in your power at this and my prayers for your continued results, sister.

I so appreciate any and all tips like this as I go thru this hair loss journey! I'm quite lost, to be honest. The sisterhood here is very special and very heartwarming, and I thank you all for sharing, supporting and loving.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Gentle Hugs @Begonia ! I feel your pain. I have several autoimmune diseases and my hair has definitely thinned. At one time, I did have hunks falling out. My stylist always knows when I’m in a flare because my scalp gets red.

I try and do a cold rinse when I wash my hair. I massage my scalp for blood flow. I haven’t tried the prescription hair products but agree with the tests @missy recommended. If she didn’t list it - Vitamin D blood test too. My Vit D is frequently low and my hair loss seems worse then. Just my experience. Take care of you!

Hugging back sweet thing. Hugging back.

Sorry to hear about the autoimmune issues, that must be a struggle at times!! Thank you for the suggestions about the tests, I only hope I can convince my doc to order them. She's pretty headstrong that one, but I'll finesse my delivery.

Roger that to the cold water rinse and massage.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I started losing hair pretty heavily with menopause. I'm on HRT (bio identical) and its stopped coming out. While not as thick as it used to be, I don't have handfuls coming out. For me, HRT also ment balancing my thyroid because yeah it kinda went to crap. Stress dosen't help either.

Minoxodil doesn't help me at all, makes me quite ill and causes the worst strawberry hives ever. You could try it of course. Some have better luck internal than others (I can't do that either)

I'm very sorry you're dealing with this.

Thank you for your kind thoughts and I'm glad your loss has stabilized! That must be such a relief. I wish I could take the hormones, but I'm happy that has helped you!!

I'm nervous as heck to try the minoxidil. I get hit hard with side effects. Gonna start tomorrow - wish me luck?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your kind thoughts and I'm glad your loss has stabilized! That must be such a relief. I wish I could take the hormones, but I'm happy that has helped you!!

I'm nervous as heck to try the minoxidil. I get hit hard with side effects. Gonna start tomorrow - wish me luck?

Absolutely! I think I'm just weird. Most have absolutely no issues with it at all and I'd love to thicken my hair up but I'll just take any strand I can at this point. If I had the head shape, I'd just shave it off. My sister went that route, its amazing on her. my head is pointy so...no...lol

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Begonia, I forgot to mention, that I also use the L’Oreal root spray to cover my white roots so I don’t have to colour so often. I’m sorry if I’ve missed what colour your hair is, but for my dark hair, it’s also great for covering my scalp and making it look like I’ve got more hair.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
@Begonia, I forgot to mention, that I also use the L’Oreal root spray to cover my white roots so I don’t have to colour so often. I’m sorry if I’ve missed what colour your hair is, but for my dark hair, it’s also great for covering my scalp and making it look like I’ve got more hair.

Another insider tip!
My hair is... graying? Actually a mix of brown and white that looks gray. I'll put up a pic.

Okay, that pic has me looking good. You'll have to take my word for the hair loss. I fluffed and fluffed as my ego kicked in. My bang area and crown are suffering, my fizzies today are masking all that. They don't always.
20231120_141457.jpg

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
A l w a y s room for another hug. Yes please. It's been so helpful, people chiming in and being supportive. Teary again. Love you all.

Thank you for the advice. I've ordered Rogaine as a knee-jerk reaction and am realizing some more reading and research is needed. I'll absolutely check out minoxidil. Absolutely.

Mind that for the first 4 weeks of Rogaine, you will have even more hair loss. Then it will stop and you will start to see new baby hairs. Good luck with it.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Mind that for the first 4 weeks of Rogaine, you will have even more hair loss. Then it will stop and you will start to see new baby hairs. Good luck with it.

I haven't started it yet. I'm nervous. I've read that once you start, you can't stop if you want to retain the hair.

I'm in the process of trying to figure out why I'm losing the hair (if I can find out, that is). See if I can get some further testing run, not easy in a country with free (but substandard) health care. I'm going to try to get into a private women's clinic for testing. Sigh. Am I the only one who (after 5 years of no increases) is finding their costs outweighing their income?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
how you doin' Begonia?

Well I've calmed down a little bit. I've not gone on Rogaine until preliminary blood test results are in, but now my eyelashes are failing out. Don't know if that's all related but I'm guessing it is. I'm not a real looker but I did have my dad's lovely thick eyelashes. Bloody hell.

How are you @Daisys and Diamonds???

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I've calmed down a little bit. I've not gone on Rogaine until preliminary blood test results are in, but now my eyelashes are failing out. Don't know if that's all related but I'm guessing it is. I'm not a real looker but I did have my dad's lovely thick eyelashes. Bloody hell.

How are you @Daisys and Diamonds???

i am very sad to hear that :???:
we are fine, thank you
otherwise its just that time of year my hands and feet swell so half my jewlery doesnt fit

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
i am very sad to hear that :???:
we are fine, thank you
otherwise its just that time of year my hands and feet swell so half my jewlery doesnt fit

Darn! I'm thinking... hear me out... that a summer jewelry set is in order? Slightly larger rings and whatnot? Let's go shopping. I'll drive :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results