shape
carat
color
clarity

Hair color oops...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I know we have some hair color experts here, so I''m hoping for some advice!

I''ve been determined to let go of my highlights (of 15 years!!!) and go back to "natural", whatever that means.... so I bought a box of dark blonde permanent hair color.

well, I used it this morning and I started to panic that it was getting TOO dark, so I didn''t leave it on the full 25 minutes. I think I rinsed after about 18 minutes. And now it''s sort of dull and not as dark as I wanted it to be. It''s like I couldn''t fully commit.

I realize that my bleached out hair probably had a hard time absorbing it the right way, and maybe I should have left it on a bit longer, but what do I do now? Can I safely use a temporary rinse to make it a little less dull and a little shinier and darker? Do I need to wait a week or two and try again?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Not a hairdresser, but a chronic hair colorer.
9.gif
Never freak when you see the color it''s turning on your head, it always looks darker or a different shade. By rinsing it early, your old color was "lifted" a bit, but the new color didn''t have time to deposit fully.

I know they don''t reccomend dying twice in one day, but I''ve done it with no ill effects.

A rinse/glaze would also be an option if you want to wait and/or have it professionaly "fixed."

John Frieda has some glazes that I like a lot, for about 10 bucks.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
So the problem is that if you have a ton of bleached out highlights those parts of your hair will absorb the color totally differently than the healthy hair. Really, the only way to have this corrected is to go to a professional.

You won't ever get results that will even out your haircolor with a home kit IMO unless your hair is a uniform color to begin with...

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Well, I had so many highlights that my whole head of hair was pretty much one color, except for the roots. The last time I asked my hairstylist to change the color he said no.
7.gif
Maybe if I try the temporary rinse I can make an appointment with him and plead my case more.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/15/2008 12:35:41 PM
Author: neatfreak
So the problem is that if you have a ton of bleached out highlights those parts of your hair will absorb the color totally differently than the healthy hair. Really, the only way to have this corrected is to go to a professional.

You won''t ever get results that will even out your haircolor with a home kit IMO unless your hair is a uniform color to begin with...
Or, unless you know how to mix colors. Maybe Hairgirl will spot this thread.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2008 12:38:36 PM
Author: VegasAngel

You won''t ever get results that will even out your haircolor with a home kit IMO unless your hair is a uniform color to begin with...

Or, unless you know how to mix colors. Maybe Hairgirl will spot this thread.

I personally wouldn''t try that at home without professional help though! Too risky IMO...

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/15/2008 12:38:34 PM
Author: sumbride
Well, I had so many highlights that my whole head of hair was pretty much one color, except for the roots. The last time I asked my hairstylist to change the color he said no.
7.gif
Maybe if I try the temporary rinse I can make an appointment with him and plead my case more.
Why did he say no? That seems a little weird to me. Did he think it would be bad for your hair or something, or did he just not want you to go darker? Maybe go to a different stylist....?

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I don''t think I explained properly. It''s not uneven at all. It''s just not dark enough. Too dull and not as intense as I was hoping for. It''s not stripey or anything like that. It''s all the same color, just not the right color. I''m just wondering if I can safely try again because I''m not happy with it now.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Well, if she knew how to mix colors at home she could do it but yeah I wouldnt try it at home, either.

I used to do my own hair when I was blonde but when I tried to go blonde to brown on my own
32.gif
38.gif
Oh my goodness, major disaster thankfully my stylist at the time fixed it right up. Ever since that mistake I havent tried to do my own color- but I'd like to.

Maybe read over this Sumbride & see if it helps: http://www.style-hair-magazine.com/hair-coloring.html

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock

Agreed. I have had many attempts at correcting my own hair color (I too, wanted the highlights gone) and ended up ruining my haircolor. Mine turned green, purple, ..... you name it! Once you have highlights, which is essentially bleaching out the natural pigment in your hair, the color never comes out as on the box and it seeps in FAST and dark. I had to learn the hard way
6.gif

The best way to get back to your natural, is to ask a professional to put in some lowlights close to your natural if not darker color, that way it will slowly grow out in a more healthier and natural state.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
BriBee - He said no because he didn''t want me to go darker. He didn''t think I''d like it, and well, if I go darker I don''t have to spend $180 with him so often. Plus he does my DH''s hair too and I think there was a little communication going on there. He said "You''re a natural blonde!" and I said "well, then why do I have to keep coming back with roots???" I was blonde when I was 6, but I have dark blonde hair without any interference and I''d like to go back to that, at least for a while.

Vegas - Thanks for that link! It makes total sense, but has only confused me further. I don''t know what to do now because I can''t go see my guy for another couple of weeks (he''s booked). Wonder if I should try another stylist for this? Maybe somebody that can see me tonight?

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/15/2008 1:07:49 PM
BriBee - He said no because he didn''t want me to go darker. He didn''t think I''d like it, and well, if I go darker I don''t have to spend $180 with him so often. Plus he does my DH''s hair too and I think there was a little communication going on there. He said ''You''re a natural blonde!'' and I said ''well, then why do I have to keep coming back with roots???'' I was blonde when I was 6, but I have dark blonde hair without any interference and I''d like to go back to that, at least for a while.

Vegas - Thanks for that link! It makes total sense, but has only confused me further. I don''t know what to do now because I can''t go see my guy for another couple of weeks (he''s booked). Wonder if I should try another stylist for this? Maybe somebody that can see me tonight?
I thought it might be something like that. I''ve been to stylists before that said "No" because they didin''t think I''d like one thing or another, but that would irritate me because it''s MY hair and I''m paying them to do what I want you know? If you really love your stylist then stick with him, but maybe it''s time to find someone new if you''re not so attached. I also prefer female stylists because they seem to better understand the changing whims of us women and our hair
9.gif

Good luck!!!!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
You ladies talked me into it! I just made an appointment with a new stylist who can see me in an hour to fix it. They are 1 mile from my house (instead of 45 miles...) and get rave reviews. Cash only though, grr... but get this, I asked "how much?" and she said "just bring $100. It probably won''t be that much though."

So if I can handle this bit than I may have found a new stylist who doesn''t require booking 2 weeks in advance and traveling an hour and a half. (I used to live there, but don''t anymore...)

Thanks to everyone for the straight talk. I''m going to get it fixed!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2008 1:24:38 PM
You ladies talked me into it! I just made an appointment with a new stylist who can see me in an hour to fix it. They are 1 mile from my house (instead of 45 miles...) and get rave reviews. Cash only though, grr... but get this, I asked ''how much?'' and she said ''just bring $100. It probably won''t be that much though.''

So if I can handle this bit than I may have found a new stylist who doesn''t require booking 2 weeks in advance and traveling an hour and a half. (I used to live there, but don''t anymore...)

Thanks to everyone for the straight talk. I''m going to get it fixed!

This is great--my colorist specializes in color correction and going from blond to brown is actually more intense than just a one-process procedure, even in a professional''s chair! You definitely need some professional help with this one, so I hope the new stylist does a great job! Let us know how it goes!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Best of luck! Let us know how it turns out!

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Oh good!! hope you come out with a gorgeous new color!
9.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wanted to cover up my blonde highlights so I googled what to do! I read that going to red first, then brown would work better. It did work and the blonde didn''t end up showing through the brown.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Better. MUCH better!!!

She handpainted in a mix of 3 different colors, leaving a few strands of the "old" color as highlights. It will fade a bit more but I''m very happy with it! I don''t have any styling stuff in right now so ignore that it''s covering my eye and sort of floppy! I''ll style it later.

sumnewcolor.jpg

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
WOW! It looks amazing! It''s so bright and shiny - she did a great job!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks lovely! Very natural looking!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! And thanks again for the kick in the butt for trying to do it myself! I''m so glad I got it fixed, and I''m glad I found this little local salon. The color was $50 and then she gave me a haircut for $25 because I needed a trim. I''m so going back there! And I didn''t feel like I had to talk her into anything.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
It looks great!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
You hair looks wonderful!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Thank you!!! I changed my avatar to reflect my new "identity". My hair isn''t quite that long, but same cut and color!

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
I''m glad you had it fixed - well done!

For future reference, if you ever need to dyw blonde highlights darker, you must first dye them red. Weird I know, but this stops them going green.

My FI once accidentally bleached his entire head (he was doing doing highlights) by falling asleep in the bath with bleach on.

It was such a mess, but the hairdresser dyed it bright ginger first, before dyeing it brown...

You have to replace the red tones first, or it''ll look dull & horrid.

Thought I''d mention it in case anyone else ever tries!! :)

x x x

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh Sum, I think your hair looks GREAT! Love the color and the sassy cut!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sumbride, the picture of your hair looks beautiful, you are a beauty! Love the new color!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Sumbride, it looks great. You are so pretty!!!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Hey Sumbride! I just happened to see your new avatar in another thread, then caught THIS thread. Wow, I love the new (or is it old?) color on you! You looked great and very natural as a light blonde, too, but this is a really fun change! The contrast with your eyes and skin is very striking. What does M think? I''m thinking of going REAL red myself-like, Kate Walsh in "Grey''s Anatomy" red!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone!!!!

DH isn''t so sure yet. He said "It''s going to take some getting used to..." but he did say "I don''t hate it." I think it''s more of a shock to him than anything. When we met I had super long blonde hair and now it''s not long and it''s not blonde! It''s like I''m somebody else to him. I think he likes that everyone else likes it though. I''m getting rave reviews on facebook from our friends. Eventually I think he''ll adjust. I''m just thrilled with it!

And Selkie - you should totally go red! you can pull it off!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results