shape
carat
color
clarity

H1N1 Vaccine Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Our county is now offering the H1N1 vaccine to all residents of the county next week since all school children and at risk people have received their innoculations. I am just wondering if I should get it. DH says he will not ( I think he is just a wimp when it comes to needles). I think I have nothing to lose by getting it, because I read a blurb that it may resurface this spring.

So if offered for free, would you get it?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Assuming that you normally have no bad reaction to shots, yes I would. Both my kids got it and I would too if they were offering it for everyone here. FWIW I work in health research.

I also am around kids a lot at playgroups, etc. so I would hate to pass it on to one of them if they are unvaccinated. If you ever are around young kids, the elderly, or people with compromised immune systems you are really doing THEM a favor too by getting it.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
+1 to Freak.

The 4 of us got it. Is the mist available for you or just the shot? It''s tapered off here a LOT, but when it was peaking, the office was over run by it-and most had little symptoms, so think how easy that would be to spread along to other people-especially kids!

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Yup. It is free here (I''m Canadian) and my whole family got it. We would have gladly paid for, though. We felt it was really important.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 1:48:33 PM
Author: packrat
+1 to Freak.

The 4 of us got it. Is the mist available for you or just the shot? It''s tapered off here a LOT, but when it was peaking, the office was over run by it-and most had little symptoms, so think how easy that would be to spread along to other people-especially kids!
When DD got hers they were offering both the mist and the shot, but I had to fill out a form prior to the innoculation. Don''t know if they are offering both (definitely the shot). Do you think one is better than the other?

I want to get it because my dad lives at a retirement home and I visit often and worry about spreading any illnesses. His friends always have a need to hug and kiss me on the cheek.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
It''s free here (woo public healthcare!) and I keep frigging forgetting to get it! My friend had awful flu symptoms after it, but only for a day and I suppose that''s better than getting swine flu. Must get my booty to the docs office.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I am in the high risk group, because my son is under 6 months old.

DH and I were among the crazy folks that waited in line for 2+ hours to get the shot. So yup, I''d totally do it.

FWIW, the vaccine is not the live virus, whereas the nasal mist is. Chances are super low that you''d get the virus from the mist, as it is a super super weak version of the flu, but because of that, my doc and pediatrician recommended that DH and I get the actual vaccine...so there was no chance of spreading it my son.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
we all got in my family. hubby, me and my big girls got the mist and our 20 month old got the shot. the kids all had to have 2 does spaced 3 weeks apart. none of us had any reaction at all.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
The chance of the same strain resurfacing this Spring is slim and the vaccine wouldn't necessarily be effective against a mutation. I don't get any flu shots and I'm fine, so no I won't be getting one.

ETA: At the moment I'm low risk. Should I get pregnant I'll consider it then.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I got it.
There was no reaction, only a little pain in my arm 2 days long, but nothing to worry about.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Yes b/c I have an under 6 month baby at home. My DH and I got it and it was fine, no sore arm or anything.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I got both the H1N1 and the regular vaccines this year and had no reaction to either. Over the holidays many people (who did not get vaccinated) got the flu and it ruined their vacation, whereas I was flu-free and had a blast. I think it is definitely a good idea to get it.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
DH has had it because he is in a high-risk group - compromised immunity due to no spleen.

They are about to roll it out here for under-5''s so I''m hoping to get Daisy vaccinated soon.

I don''t think it''s available for me yet, but if so I will probably get it done.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I am pregnant, received the vaccine and had no reaction to it. My husband has had the flu twice since I received the shot and I did not get sick either time.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 2:16:01 PM
Author: soocool
Date: 1/5/2010 1:48:33 PM

Author: packrat

+1 to Freak.

When DD got hers they were offering both the mist and the shot, but I had to fill out a form prior to the innoculation. Don''t know if they are offering both (definitely the shot). Do you think one is better than the other?

I want to get it because my dad lives at a retirement home and I visit often and worry about spreading any illnesses. His friends always have a need to hug and kiss me on the cheek.

Nah, not necessarily better than the other, I just like the mist better myself. I *think* it''s effective sooner than the shot..You''d think I''d pay more attention at the office, but I''m pretty sure that''s what I heard a nurse say, haha! And, no needle. Works perfect for my son, but my daughter still freaked out, so there was no saving grace on that one!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 12:41:19 PM
Author: neatfreak
Assuming that you normally have no bad reaction to shots, yes I would. Both my kids got it and I would too if they were offering it for everyone here. FWIW I work in health research.

I also am around kids a lot at playgroups, etc. so I would hate to pass it on to one of them if they are unvaccinated. If you ever are around young kids, the elderly, or people with compromised immune systems you are really doing THEM a favor too by getting it.

I was offered it for free and got it. But I work around high risk children, so I did it more to protect them. But ditto to what Neatfreak said, if you are around any of the above populations, which I will add pregnant women to, you could potentially protect them from a disease that is high risk.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 12:24:14 PM
Author:soocool
Our county is now offering the H1N1 vaccine to all residents of the county next week since all school children and at risk people have received their innoculations. I am just wondering if I should get it. DH says he will not ( I think he is just a wimp when it comes to needles). I think I have nothing to lose by getting it, because I read a blurb that it may resurface this spring.

So if offered for free, would you get it?
I had my kids vaccinated when it was first available through out county for free. We waited 1 1/2 hours but it was worth it for peace of mind. We had 2 kids die near us from H1N1 and it scared me. Once they were vaccinated it gave me peace of mind.

One think many people don''t realize is that kids under 9 need TWO doses (second dose a month after the first) or the vaccine is not fully protecting them.

Thankfully when I went back for the second dose, they had more does and were allowing non at risk adults to get it as well so I got vaccinated as well.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
My husband, toddler, and I all got the H1N1 shot. Our work was offering it free (we work for the feds) but he and I waited until my OB''s office offered the thimerosal-free shot since I''m pregnant. Daughter got the recommended two shots. No ill side effects at all.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
If offered I would get it. I got my son one a few months ago (he was 9 months then), since he''s in daycare, but the shots were still scarce for adults, so I didn''t want to take one that someone else needed more than I did. One of the 3 month olds at his daycare did come down with H1N1, and it was nice to know that Kyle was protected.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
It''s free here in Canada, and they even recently offered it in my workplace, but I''m not interested. My fiance and I are cautious about these types of things, and prefer to protect ourselves with good hygiene and a heathy diet. Miller''s dad wanted Miller to have it, and I didn''t stop him. I wouldn''t have taken him myself though.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i''ve never gotten the flue shot since i was little, but since i''m pregnant, i got both the regular + the h1n1. not sure i would have gotten either if i wasn''t pregnant.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2010 10:46:58 AM
Author: jcrow
i''ve never gotten the flue shot since i was little, but since i''m pregnant, i got both the regular + the h1n1. not sure i would have gotten either if i wasn''t pregnant.
ditto this. i have never gotten a flu shot in my life, but i got the regular and h1n1 because i was later 2nd trimester pregnant when flu season hit.

i doubt i would have gotten either of them if i was not pregnant. my hub didn''t get either this year and doesn''t plan to.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the h1n1 shot in one arm and regular flu shot in the other arm on the same day and had *no* side effects at all. I am in the high risk group, and I''m glad I get yearly flu shots. There are *so many* people sick with the flu this year and I''m grateful not to have to even worry about it. I haven''t seen so many people this sick in years and years. It''s really bad this year.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2010 12:29:45 PM
Author: lyra
I got the h1n1 shot in one arm and regular flu shot in the other arm on the same day and had *no* side effects at all. I am in the high risk group, and I''m glad I get yearly flu shots. There are *so many* people sick with the flu this year and I''m grateful not to have to even worry about it. I haven''t seen so many people this sick in years and years. It''s really bad this year.
None of my family is in the high-risk group and we decided not to get the shot - nor do we get seasonal flu shots. A classmate of my son''s was out with the flu two weeks and he had the flu shot (not sure if it was the seasonal or the H1N1).

Just to note: My sons'' school is very strict about kids and cold/flu symptoms. If a child is even coughing or just has a slightly upset tummy, he/she is wisked right out of the room. There is even an isolation area for the ones that are clearly sick! Once in the morning, my son took a shower and got soap in his eyes. He was allowed to sit in the nurses office for an hour until the redness in his eyes went away. Maybe they thought he had pink eye.
37.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2010 12:37:37 PM
Author: MC

Date: 1/7/2010 12:29:45 PM
Author: lyra
None of my family is in the high-risk group and we decided not to get the shot - nor do we get seasonal flu shots. A classmate of my son''s was out with the flu two weeks and he had the flu shot (not sure if it was the seasonal or the H1N1).

Just to note: My sons'' school is very strict about kids and cold/flu symptoms. If a child is even coughing or just has a slightly upset tummy, he/she is wisked right out of the room. There is even an isolation area for the ones that are clearly sick! Once in the morning, my son took a shower and got soap in his eyes. He was allowed to sit in the nurses office for an hour until the redness in his eyes went away. Maybe they thought he had pink eye.
37.gif
This is great! We''ve had a couple of elementary schools close a couple of years ago when there was an outbreak of the norvo-virus (stomach virus) in order to perfom a complete cleaning and disinfection.

DD said that all her teachers have hand sanitizer on their desks and encourage the kids to use them (high schoolers) and finally this school year, our district has taken the proactive approach as well and will remove students from class who exhibit any flulike symptoms. It would be nice if more parents took the same approach and kept their kids home when they are sick instead of popping Tylenol in them and sending them on their way. (this is what my friend does)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results