shape
carat
color
clarity

H color ok or questionable????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
Help please.....

I need some advice... i know this is just one of those personal things and *most* people can''t notice color in a H when it is set and faces up.

I had made up my mind that I wasn''t going to go below a "G" and am now debating an "H" because it gets me into a bigger diamond!

Will people be able to see the yellow?? I am really nervous about it! What if I held it up to an F, would it be noticeable?

It would be in the 1.3 range if that helps, i know color gets more noticeable as size goes up, but I don''t think this is big enough to make a difference.
33.gif

Thoughts?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I have an H (see avatar) and couldn''t be happier. If it is a true H and a well cut stone, I think you get a lot of bang for your buck. Size was important to me and with an H, I was able to get a larger diamond that was still white to me. My diamond looks white in every lighting and I see no tint, even against white paper.
1.gif

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
My engagement ring is I color and I never see any hint of yellow! If you get a GIA or AGS certified Well-Cut - Ideal diamond you should be fine. Also you can go to Show Me Your Ring/Eye Candy and see everybodies ring for yourself. Good luck.
1.gif

slammie

Shiny_Rock
I used to have a H and I would not hestitate to buy H again. It was really white and it looked great in platinum =)

researcher

Ideal_Rock
My stone is over 3 carats, a fancy cut, and an "I" in color, yet I do not see any yellow (I saw a little warmth when it was face down, but none once it was set (except in lighting that makes my D-F colored diamonds also look a bit warmer)). In fact, people are always guessing that my e-ring stone is colorless which makes me VERY happy.

Bikergirl

Shiny_Rock
My engagement ring is 2.4 carat round brilliant, ideal cut, vvs2, H color solitaire set in platinum.

My wedding band is a 1 tcw round brilliant, shared prong eternity ring, with the stones all graded at F-G in color, VS clarity.

In certain lighting, I can tell a difference between my engagement ring and my wedding band. However, that is contributed to a lot of factors. For one thing, the diamonds in my wedding band are (obviously) much smaller, so color would be harder to detect, anyway. Also, since the facets are so much tinier, the sparkle in a different way...if that makes sense. And, since there are lots of diamonds in my wedding band, they seem to sparkle off each other, too, where my ering is a solitaire and can only rely on itself. Hope all of that makes sense...

I love me ering and am very happy with my H stone. I am actually the only one who has ever noticed a difference in color, and even then (like I said) only in certain lighting. I''ve even pointed it out to some of my close friends before, and they all think I''m crazy, and that they can''t tell the difference.

Some people are very sensitive to color, so it is a personal choice. I, personally, am extremely happy with my H ering and F-G wedding band. I wouldn''t considering trading either of them for anything different!
9.gif

jennalyns

Shiny_Rock
my mom''s diamond and my diamond are both h, and they look completely white. the only time i can tell at all is when i held it right up to a friend''s D stone, and even then it didn''t look yellow, just a little touch of warmth; i held it next to an f in a store and i honestly couldn''t tell the difference. i can''t see any yellow at all in my h, and i think the cut makes a huge difference. i think an h stone is a great value!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2004 10:48:35 PM
Author: Bikergirl

In certain lighting, I can tell a difference between my engagement ring and my wedding band. However, that is contributed to a lot of factors. For one thing, the diamonds in my wedding band are (obviously) much smaller, so color would be harder to detect, anyway. Also, since the facets are so much tinier, the sparkle in a different way...if that makes sense. And, since there are lots of diamonds in my wedding band, they seem to sparkle off each other, too, where my ering is a solitaire and can only rely on itself. Hope all of that makes sense...
I think this is very true--Smaller diamonds, esp well-cut ones, sparkle like little star bursts and discerning color is almost impossible in anything above K.
1.gif

TLS

Shiny_Rock
thank you all so much for your feedback! You have made me feel a lot better about this possible choice. I think I may just go with it and see how i like it!!!!!

LukeMintzas

Rough_Rock
I think H color is great. You can get a lot more bang for your buck. On a white gold, or platinum setting it will look fantastic.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
How about an I color?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/3/2004 11:27:14 PM
Author: TLS
thank you all so much for your feedback! You have made me feel a lot better about this possible choice. I think I may just go with it and see how i like it!!!!!
TLS
my wife has a GIA cert 3+ ct rb H color and looks very white ,so go for it H is an ex value .

TLS

Shiny_Rock
thanks to all of you. I can''t believe it is 3:18 on the east coast and i am still awake .... ugh! hey i have been desperately trying to find pictures of "H" color stones on the "show me the ring" forum and am having a tough time finding ones to take a look at.... if anyone knows what links i could locate pictures of H color stones, i would greatly appreciate it.

also, what is your opinion on an SI1 that is eye clean (I am being told) but has a funky circular cloud under the table... seems to be white. If it''s eye clean it doesn''t matter right?

also should i have any concern at all about some small feathers near the girdle in an SI1, what if they come out to the outside of the girdle? Not sure if they do yet, but I am going to try and find out.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
I have a G/SI1 (eyeclean of course). With the knowledge I have gained here and all factors considered, I wouldn''t hesitate to buy an H or even a well cut I. Heck, I''m even considering the warmer LMN range for "something" "someday."
9.gif
20.gif

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
TLS, take a look at page 18 in the SMTR thread

Jennifer's ring is the best example of an H, esp. being a 3ct H!! i can't say it enough...drool
3.gif

Scroll thru this page, there are plenty of examples of H's, and on page 17 there more H's, I's, and J's

Then on page 19 you can check out mrs. jam's gorgeous 2.5ct K!!!! Wowsa! along with other great examples, all different sizes and clarities.

My goal is to find an H SI1-SI2...the BF will decide what size, I don't care, but i don't want him to spend money on color and clarity that you definitely can't see in a well-cut diamond.

Hope this is helpful...i don't know about you guys, but i could go thru the SMTR thread everyday
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results