shape
carat
color
clarity

H&A vs non H&A

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bogus

Rough_Rock
has anyone else noticed that H&A seem to have a gray/silver look to them as apposed to looking white with a non H&A when
looking straight down into the stone? or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmm i think it really depends on the STONE itself, stones each have their own personality so if you have only seen one or two of each then it''s hard to make a definitive judgement on what looks like what.

you may have seen a white brilliant BIC non H&A and a H&A with some fluor or something. it''s really hard to say...also the lighting where you were and what was around you (aka your shirt color, or the wall color) also come into play when you determine how a stone looks.

i''d check out a bunch more stones of both varieties before really forming any sort of judgements, H&A''s will look different from non H&A but where I see the difference mostly is the symmetry of the ''sparkle''--not the color of the stone.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It could also depend on the lighting. Ie. if you are observing 2 diamonds in direct light conditions the H&A may appear darker but you would also take note that the flashes of light that emanate from within it are in greater abundance and more intense than the other. The other could appear to be lighter due to the observance of leakage and the fact that you can see through the facets to the light in the showcase beneath it. A possibility.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep they can and do depending on the lighting.
The contrast can make them look darker even when the overall brightness is higher.
A lot of it depends on the size of the arrows and the size of the diamond.
My .15 shows this affect because the arrows are relatively large in relation to the size of the stone.
Its one thing I dont like about 8* diamonds.
The huge arrows make the table look dark.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
I dont know what conditions you viewed the stone under, plus if the non H&A stone looks whiter, it could be due to an inbalance betweent the white light return and the color light return.

It could also be happening because of a light entry angle.... it could be because the diamond was viewed with a slight tilt.

Could also be face up color of the stone?

How do you know the stone was really a true H&A? Perhaps the H&A stone was an exceptional stone for color light return but lousy for white return?

Maybe you need to see more stones, and see if you observe the same characteristics perhaps at a different store.

Could be more reasons to list, you need to have experience at examing stones to ascertain why a certain thing is happening.

It takes a LOT of viewing of different stones, knowing what their qualities are before you have seen enough stones. How many? What''s a LOT... Let''s say it takes years to really become proficient....

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results