shape
carat
color
clarity

Gypsy setting...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Which colored stones will be able to stand gypsy setting?

I want to gypsy set a 3-4mm bright colored gem into a 4.5mm yellow gold band. I''ve thought about doing this with a cuprian/indocolite, but I''m not sure if it will withstand the pressure. I think I will be buying the gem from the Gem Trader as they seem to have some tiny gems with decent cuts up for their Ebay auctions. If anyone has any recommendations for small gems, please let me know! Thanks in advance!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
How about a small tsavorite or green sapphire?

ETA I assumed you might want green because of the tourmalines. But any colored garnet would work or sapphire. How about a red spinel?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I like this http://www.ajsgems.com/gemstones/spinel/spinel-0.38-carats.html

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Indy:

I love gypsy set bands, I am saving some round diamonds, full cut, to set in 3 bands of different color gold with spinel melee :)

Re indicolite, I like it too but in all the GIA materials I have, it is set as a pendant, not a particularly hardy stone...

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Why do you worry about the setting? Are you sure you''re not thinking about tension setting(?), cause gypsy setting doesen''t depend that much on gemstone durability (as far as I know) and is a very similar tecnique to, say, a bezel.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first question I’ll ask is if the benchperson is skilled enough to do a good gyspy setting. A skilled and experienced benchperson is able to set stones as soft as peridot in such a setting.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am just starting, but I had some stones in gypsy setting and here is my impression.
It "lightens" the color of very dark stones. Can also help mask the effect of a huge window.
However, even the color of the setting means a lot, because a YG gypsy setting "performs" different from a WG setting. If you want to set a stone this way, try some white metal (I used a key) under a stone and see how it changes the color in daytime and evening light. Then do the same with the YG. (A YG bracelet could do the job). See which color you prefer.
Some stones, like alexandrites, do not seem to perform well in gypsy setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crasru,
While I agree that it can mask the effect of a large window, I disagree that it “lightens” the colour of very dark stones. A gypsy setting in effect blocks out all light from the pavilion area, allowing light to only enter from the crown.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is what I am thinking about: the stone reflects the light - it gives it the color (depending on the area of the spectrum it reflects in). But the gold underneath it also reflects the light! We may be talking about different types of "gypsy" settings - to me everything that covers the back of the stone is "gypsy".
I am just thinking that YG reflects in its own (yellow) spectrum - could be OK with red/orange/yellow stones but not green ones since it seems that yellow secondaries are not desirable for most of them. Same for blue - in fact, blue+yellow will provide greenish color.
I tried "gypsy" under my alex, and while it performed better in daylight (that is when window is noticeable)the nighttime red was totally killed by it - so I assume some stones are not fit for it. I don''t know what it does with "neon" stones.

Thank you for pointing out my mistake.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would be more worried about cleavage plans than hardness/softness.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/1/2010 5:18:25 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
This is correct LD.

There is a very skilled bench jeweler who has advised me emeralds are stones in particular
which can present problems.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2010 5:18:25 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Very true!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results