shape
carat
color
clarity

Guns in the home?

Do you have a gun or guns in your household?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No but plan to or consideing it for the future

• Other

• Just show me results

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know of a SINGLE incidence where anyone I know was ever saved by a gun.

But I know four people who were murdered with guns (killed by a friend, a husband (murder suicide), husband (just murder), and a girlfriend's father) and three others who shot themselves in the head.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 9:00:08 AM
Author: audball

Date: 12/14/2009 3:49:17 AM
Author: trillionaire
unless one of us is being specifically targeted, I do not see the need for a gun in our home. Guns escalate situations, and the only cases that I know of where people were held at gun-point, nothing happened to the victims. If they had brandished weapons, there very likely would have been a shoot out.

I don''t know why handguns were ever legalized for public use. If all gun owners had rifles and shotguns, no one could sneak up on you with a gun. We wouldn''t have to worry about concealed threats. If someone was walking up to you with their shotgun, you would know exactly what time it was.

I enjoy shooting at the range. I am not scared of guns. I look forward to clay shooting. I don''t ever intend to have a gun in my home.
I hate this statement. Period. It is our 2nd amendment right to have them, if we don''t exercise that right, we will lose it. Besides that, by making guns ''illegal'' all you''re doing is taking them out of the hands of those who are using them responsibly and who are abiding by the laws. Do you really think (this is at everyone, not you specifically, Trill), that a felon is going to not rob someone, kill someone, shoot hundreds of innocent people on a university campus, etc. because guns are illegal or because they are in a ''No Gun Zone''? They don''t give a damn about the law!! They''re felons! If anything, I think them being illegal is a terrible thing! They will still have guns and we will not...I''m sorry, but I don''t like those odds...
I''m not sure what you are responding to. I have no beef with the second amendment, and clearly guns are prolific in the US, so there would be no sense in making them illegal because gun trade would be too difficult to control. I stated very clearly that I think that public use of HANDGUNS was a bad decision. WAS. As in, in the past. Nothing we can do about it now. I personally think that rifles and shotguns for protection, hunting, marksmenship, etc would have been more than appropriate for the needs and uses of citizens without the added paranoia of people sneaking around with weapons. You, of course, may feel differently.

so you can relax... no one is going to take your gun
2.gif
Well, I''m not...

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 11:09:34 AM

unless one of us is being specifically targeted, I do not see the need for a gun in our home. Guns escalate situations, and the only cases that I know of where people were held at gun-point, nothing happened to the victims. If they had brandished weapons, there very likely would have been a shoot out.

I don''t know why handguns were ever legalized for public use. If all gun owners had rifles and shotguns, no one could sneak up on you with a gun. We wouldn''t have to worry about concealed threats. If someone was walking up to you with their shotgun, you would know exactly what time it was.

I enjoy shooting at the range. I am not scared of guns. I look forward to clay shooting. I don''t ever intend to have a gun in my home.
I hate this statement. Period. It is our 2nd amendment right to have them, if we don''t exercise that right, we will lose it. Besides that, by making guns ''illegal'' all you''re doing is taking them out of the hands of those who are using them responsibly and who are abiding by the laws. Do you really think (this is at everyone, not you specifically, Trill), that a felon is going to not rob someone, kill someone, shoot hundreds of innocent people on a university campus, etc. because guns are illegal or because they are in a ''No Gun Zone''? They don''t give a damn about the law!! They''re felons! If anything, I think them being illegal is a terrible thing! They will still have guns and we will not...I''m sorry, but I don''t like those odds...
I''m not sure what you are responding to. I have no beef with the second amendment, and clearly guns are prolific in the US, so there would be no sense in making them illegal because gun trade would be too difficult to control. I stated very clearly that I think that public use of HANDGUNS was a bad decision. WAS. As in, in the past. Nothing we can do about it now. I personally think that rifles and shotguns for protection, hunting, marksmenship, etc would have been more than appropriate for the needs and uses of citizens without the added paranoia of people sneaking around with weapons. You, of course, may feel differently.

so you can relax... no one is going to take your gun
2.gif
Well, I''m not...
I wasn''t targeting you, just in general. I see you meant was, I disagree with that, but that''s another argument altogether.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 10:32:38 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
I don''t know of a SINGLE incidence where anyone I know was ever saved by a gun.

But I know four people who were murdered with guns (killed by a friend, a husband (murder suicide), husband (just murder), and a girlfriend''s father) and three others who shot themselves in the head.

I meant to add that all of these people knew the person who killed them - the killers were not criminals out on the street but average "law abiding" private gun owners.

I actually prefer the odds where the average man doesn''t own a gun.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, we don't have any guns in our home.
I'm not at all against responsible gun ownership, I'm just not interested in owning one myself.

I grew up with vegetarian parents, so there was definitely no hunting going on in our home. I used to see relatives shoot skeet when we went to their country club, but that was about all of my exposure to guns growing up.

DH grew up in a rough part of Chicago, but he's never owned a gun and never plans to.

I shot M16s when I spent a week training with the Israeli army. That's my only experience with guns. My instructor said I was an amazing shot, and gave me my targets to take home.

ETA: I understand the desire to defend yourself, but I don't understand how guns locked in a safe are useful for self defense against a surprise intruder in your home.
I spent over ten years in martial arts training, so I suppose that makes me feel safer than if I didn't have any training. We did a lot of weapons defense training, but I can't really say I'd be able to defend myself against a gun in the actual moment.
I hope I never have to find out.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
as a gun owner willing to defend my life, i agree with this:

Date: 12/14/2009 9:58:04 AM
Author: SapphireLover
Samantha Red- the burglars had heard the warning and were leaving through a window. It was clearly noted in the court that they were leaving the house, and Tony Martin shot them in the back. That is not reasonable force. If they were coming at him about to attack him, then it would be a different matter. He had warned them and they were leaving, it was NOT reasonable force. There was no need to shoot as he was not at risk. I am not saying they had any right to be in his house, of course, they didn''t, nobody would ever argue that they were right to be. But there is a rule about proportional force and this was not used. If we use unreasonable force, then we are becoming judge, jury and executioner, which is not right.
this is unreasonable and gives a bad image of all gunowners. things can be replaced. life cannot. the burglars may live to illegally enter and steal again, but that is not my problem. my problem is only the defense of my life and the lives of my loved ones.

mz

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''m not 100% certain where I stand on this.

I do not like handguns. I do know of an instance where having one did save my friend from being robbed, but I feel like he could have avoided the situation before it got to that point.

However, I have shot a .22 rifle, and I enjoyed it. I feel like the best thing to get over fear is education, so learning how to shoot is on my list of things to do. However, it would be strictly for target shooting. BF was a riflery instructor at 17 at a boy''s summer camp, and he''s a good teacher.

Personally, I feel much safer in countries where handguns are illegal than I do in the States when I have the right to own one to protect myself. I''ve heard all the arguments for being able to have a gun, and I''ve never been as persuaded as I was by living in countries where they''re illegal and feeling SAFE. There is nothing like that feeling, and while I know people who have guns feel like that, the fact that my neighbour could have a gun without me knowing and may or may not being skilled at handling it terrifies me.

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 11:38:45 AM
Author: movie zombie
as a gun owner willing to defend my life, i agree with this:

Date: 12/14/2009 9:58:04 AM

Author: SapphireLover

Samantha Red- the burglars had heard the warning and were leaving through a window. It was clearly noted in the court that they were leaving the house, and Tony Martin shot them in the back. That is not reasonable force. If they were coming at him about to attack him, then it would be a different matter. He had warned them and they were leaving, it was NOT reasonable force. There was no need to shoot as he was not at risk. I am not saying they had any right to be in his house, of course, they didn''t, nobody would ever argue that they were right to be. But there is a rule about proportional force and this was not used. If we use unreasonable force, then we are becoming judge, jury and executioner, which is not right.

this is unreasonable and gives a bad image of all gunowners. things can be replaced. life cannot. the burglars may live to illegally enter and steal again, but that is not my problem. my problem is only the defense of my life and the lives of my loved ones.

mz
I think the fact was that in this case the lives of the person being burgled were NOT at risk. The person was leaving the house and was climbing out of the window. They had been warned to get out or he would shoot, they heeded that warning and were leaving.

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, we do. And we are both very responsible/ well versed with fire arms, no kids in the home.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 11:44:06 AM
Author: princesss
I''m not 100% certain where I stand on this.

I do not like handguns. I do know of an instance where having one did save my friend from being robbed, but I feel like he could have avoided the situation before it got to that point.

However, I have shot a .22 rifle, and I enjoyed it. I feel like the best thing to get over fear is education, so learning how to shoot is on my list of things to do. However, it would be strictly for target shooting. BF was a riflery instructor at 17 at a boy''s summer camp, and he''s a good teacher.

Personally, I feel much safer in countries where handguns are illegal than I do in the States when I have the right to own one to protect myself. I''ve heard all the arguments for being able to have a gun, and I''ve never been as persuaded as I was by living in countries where they''re illegal and feeling SAFE. There is nothing like that feeling, and while I know people who have guns feel like that, the fact that my neighbour could have a gun without me knowing and may or may not being skilled at handling it terrifies me.
+1,000

Rachel9

Shiny_Rock
Yes but is part of the trade. It doesn''t mean I love having one, but I must. My kids are also trained......TO STAY AWAY from them, or else.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2009 3:22:31 PM
Author: loriken214
My late mom had her concealed handgun license and I've grown up around guns all of my life. You bet I've got a gun. I recently sold my S&W 38 revolver and will buy a Glock 40 soon. This is for household protection.

DH doesn't like guns and has no clue what to do with one, but I'm ready. Crime is rampant these days and I'm not going down easily....go ahead, make my day!
27.gif

Lori
Good for you!
36.gif

One CANNOT depend on the cops or 911 to save you if heaven forbid there were an emergency and you or your family's lives were at stake.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
You know a lot of gun owners have guns because they enjoy target shooting/collecting/gun shows it''s a hobby not just for protection.

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
We own two. One is a .357 Magnum and the other is a 9mm semi-auto. And I have a third that I use for work. Our personal ones are used for target shooting and nothing else. Our firearms are locked and any ammo we have are stored away from the firearms. If you don''t have ammo in the home or stored away somewhere else, the gun is useless. It''s just an expensive hammer.

Guns don''t kill people. People kill people.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 12:28:21 PM
Author: VegasAngel
You know a lot of gun owners have guns because they enjoy target shooting/collecting/gun shows it''s a hobby not just for protection.

Yes, that''s why my husband has a gun. He enjoys target practice at the range. When he''s not at the range, it lives its life locked up in the gun safe.

My family has always had lots of guns. My grandfather grew up in the country and was an avid hunter. My grandmother kept a pearl handled pistol in a lacquered box on the mantel in their library (that''s an example of how NOT to do it!). They also had a sword that they kept in the umbrella stand in the front hall.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not read the 4 pages of comments before posting this so I appologize if I duplicate someone.

We have one gun in our home with plans to add more. The one we currently have belonged to B''s grandfather and has good memories for him. It takes a less common ammunition so it isn''t something someone breaking in could grab and use. We do have one box of ammunition in the house but it is kept in a different room and out of sight.

Another note -- we have a security system that squeels if any door is opened plus motion detectors for additional protection.

The first addition we plan is a handgun for self defense (in case the alarm is not enough). After that, collector stuff.

TRAINING is very important. Everyone with a gun should have proper training on care, maintenance, & use. My favorite "gun" school also offers classes for using guns in home defense, how to maintain control of the gun (keep the bad guy from taking it), and hand to hand self defense. (plus so much more)

I grew up with guns around. I spent nearly every day in my grandparents'' house with a big stack of guns. My grandfather collects guns. The majority are kept in a closet with a glass door in the living room. Right in sight. The door does have a lock so you can''t just open it (he carries the key with him). If a person broke the glass, it still wouldn''t matter. EVERY gun has a chain (with the plastic so it can''t just be cut) with lock and CAN''T be fired without the key to remove the chain.

My grandparents had 4 kids who grew up in that house and 7 grandkids & 1 great grandkid. Plus countless cats, dogs, and birds. All of us were taught early that you DO NOT touch those. Guns are to be respected and until you are properly trained you just DON''T TOUCH. All of us and our friends have been just fine.

Summary of my thoughts:
If you respect them (get trained, store properly, never point unless you intend to kill, and keep practiced) then there is nothing wrong with them. I''d go so far as to say that they are good to have around and can save lives.
But--
If you or your SO don''t respect them. If you aren''t willing to get trained and continue shooting (in ranges) regularly to keep practiced. If you aren''t willing to pass this respect to your kids. Then you SHOULD NOT own a gun.

This is a very controversial subject but it really comes down to personal choice. I CHOOSE to own guns. This is not the right choice for everyone.
If you have any doubt, find a local gun club or a training class and learn about them.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know of a SINGLE incidence where anyone I know was ever saved by a gun.

But I know four people who were murdered with guns (killed by a friend, a husband (murder suicide), husband (just murder), and a girlfriend''s father) and three others who shot themselves in the head.

I know of several instances where a gun has saved someone. Try having a 200-500lb hog run straight at you, with no gun and no trees around. I haven''t personally had this happen but my grandfather''s friend HAS and his gun probably saved at least a few limbs, if not his life.

Or how about when one of your dear pets, or children is attacked by coyotes, or a panther, or some other animal, even just the sound of that gunshot could make a fraction of a second''s difference, giving you the chance to save them.

SO''s uncle was walking in the woods once, and looked down and there was a rattle snake rearing back to bite him... if he hadn''t had his pistol, he''d be dead.

The guns aren''t the decision makers folks... we are.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope that I never have to pull a gun out for protection. I can''t imagine anything worse than aiming a gun and potentially killing another person....

Wait. I can.
Not having a gun and watching in horror as they rape/hurt/kill a loved one.

We all have smoke detectors & fire extinguishers & insurance IN CASE the house catches fire. Most of us will never have to use them. But we have them JUST IN CASE.
Houses can be re-built. People can''t.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally, I would feel safer if guns were taken away from criminals..not the decent law abiding citizens. If it''s illegal for me to have them, then I suppose I could stock up on hard crusty bread and hard salamis to whack at someone with.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 3:51:47 PM
Author: packrat
Personally, I would feel safer if guns were taken away from criminals..not the decent law abiding citizens. If it''s illegal for me to have them, then I suppose I could stock up on hard crusty bread and hard salamis to whack at someone with.
9.gif
hahah. +1

audball

Ideal_Rock
I don''t depend on the police to be here to protect me if something were to happen. Someone once told me that police are nothing more than armed historians, in many cases and especially in the smaller towns/boonies/country I feel this is true. Police and 911 can''t stop what is happening right that second. People kill people is right, I have the tool to do what I need to do if it comes down to it. You bet your ass I''d kill someone if it came down to me or that person. If they threatened me to the point I honestly felt I had no other choice, in my opinion, they just killed themself.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, I don''t have one.

Years back I had a crappy .22 that would jam up all the time. Now I sleep with a baseball bat under my bed, which is silly as our neighborhood is the kind of place where we have pumpkins stolen from front porches and smaller stuff.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 2:52:42 PM
Author: dragonfly411

I know of several instances where a gun has saved someone. Try having a 200-500lb hog run straight at you, with no gun and no trees around. I haven''t personally had this happen but my grandfather''s friend HAS and his gun probably saved at least a few limbs, if not his life.

Or how about when one of your dear pets, or children is attacked by coyotes, or a panther, or some other animal, even just the sound of that gunshot could make a fraction of a second''s difference, giving you the chance to save them.

SO''s uncle was walking in the woods once, and looked down and there was a rattle snake rearing back to bite him... if he hadn''t had his pistol, he''d be dead.

The guns aren''t the decision makers folks... we are.

The situations you are talking about are pretty drastically different than storing a handgun in your purse/drawer/whatever to "protect" yourself from an intruder.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2009 3:15:27 PM
Author: TooPatient
I can't imagine anything worse than aiming a gun and potentially killing another person....

Wait. I can.

We all have smoke detectors & fire extinguishers & insurance IN CASE the house catches fire. Most of us will never have to use them. But we have them JUST IN CASE.
Houses can be re-built. People can't.
Well said TP!

The best defense is to not be defenseless.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 3:15:27 PM
Author: TooPatient
I hope that I never have to pull a gun out for protection. I can''t imagine anything worse than aiming a gun and potentially killing another person....

Wait. I can.

Houses can be re-built. People can''t.
I let my ccw expire after I retired, but I''m going to get it back. I often think about how idiotic I''d feel if some maniac started shooting in a public place and I didn''t have a gun.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGREE 101%!!!
36.gif
36.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely not. I think that handguns should be illegal.

I have no issue with people owning guns to hunt with, etc. but all handguns are good for is hurting other people. Not how I want to live my life.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I used to be in the "No way, no how, never" camp, like many of you here. Then I was issued one for my job that I now carry everywhere, all the time. I was uncomfortable with it when I first began training with it because I was unfamiliar with it and, in the past, had always had a "guns are bad" mentality.

That being said, after becoming properly trained in gun safety and use, I think having it is pretty great. Obviously when I''m at work and putting myself in some sticky situations, it''s there for protection of not only myself, but also the public. When I''m not at work, just knowing that I have it with me and available provides a comforting blanket of protection. I''ve never had to use it or even pull it on anyone at work or on my personal time, and I hope to never have to. However, I''d certainly rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

The cliché "Guns don''t kill people, people kill people" used to be one that I scoffed at. Over the last 2 years or so, I''ve realized that it is so true and have developed a greater appreciation for it and firearms in general. I''ve also come to realize that if someone is hell-bent on killing someone else, they''ll find a way to do it, gun or no gun.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 7:15:00 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

AGREE 101%!!!
36.gif
36.gif
Thanks DF!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2009 1:38:25 AM
Author: HopeDream
Perry thank you for sharing your experience.

I''m glad you are still whole and with us. I hope that the rest of your life you are safe and secure.

I''m glad you know how to take care of yourself.
Thanks HopeDream. You take care of yourself too.

For those in the "never" - "are you nuts" - "guns are dangeroud group": A little more about my background prior to my my situation.

A great many things in society bothered me - and I was not happy about a lot of things. Even though I had served in the US Navy (as a way to break out of poverty and fund my college education - and to see the world - and because I felt that I did owe my country something) - I ended up becoming very attracted to, and then involved in "the religous Society of Friends." Most people know them as the Quakers.

Do you want to talk about pacifism; about how to solve problems without violance; about a core belief that violance should be avoided. This is the group that invented the term "Conciencious Objector" to military service. They were the first religious orgainization granted that status.

This does not mean that they objected to guns. Hunting and target practice was acceptable. But to use a gun for the purpose of harming another person. No way.

The reason that the police spent 3 hours interviewing my "stalker" was because there had actually been an attempt on my life in progress - that the police acidentally wandered into and broke up. However, becasue the officer was caught unawares and did not instantly understand what was going down - mistakes were made. Mistakes that meant that they could not charge the person (we all have our rights). I do not fault the officer involved. Very few officers ever see such a situation - and that officer did the most important thing - stopping what probably would have been a very successful execution of me.

Dispite my almost 10 years involvement with The Society of Freinds... I instantly responded from deep in my soul that I would defend myself - and defend myself with deadly force.

One of the tough things I had to go through over the next several years was the fact that I lost my religous support, lost a lot of freinds, - and lost my church.

I had never considered guns as a tool for self defense before then. In the end, all of my hunting rifles were sold, and my "investment heavy duty assult weapon (a real one)" was sold. The only rifle I kept was my dads 22 (which I grew up shooting). I had never owned a pistol before - but for self defense reasons that is what I moved to.

In the end, you will never know what you will do until you are faced with a situation where you or your family is threatened with the unthinkable.

It took me years of research and thinking to become comfortable with my current position. Yes, there is such a thing as justifiable use of deadly force. There are limits on it too.

Whatever your current views and opinions - I wish you all the best; and certainly hope that none of you ever have to face what I did.

Have a great day,

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results