shape
carat
color
clarity

Gunfire in Lobby of Waldorf Astoria!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Waldorf-Shooting.html?_r=2&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Gunfire announced the attempted robbery of a jewelry store in the Waldorf Astoria hotel. A guard was shot in the chest.

Here is an excerpt from the article.

"NEW YORK (AP) -- Gunfire erupted in the storied Waldorf-Astoria hotel during a brazen robbery attempt Saturday at a lobby jewelry store, wounding a security guard and sending guests diving for cover.

The 54-year-old guard was shot in the chest but was expected to survive, and a suspect was in custody, police said. Charges were pending.

Hotel guest Christine Cataldo said she was looking at a display of engagement rings near the entrance to the store, Cellini Jewelers, when she heard the first shot.

'It sounded like a bomb. One big boom. And then people started running,' said Cataldo, of Long Island. 'I looked up, and I saw a man in a suit with silver hair grabbing another guy.'

The mayhem began when the 20-year-old suspect, wearing a black track suit, pulled out a gun in the jewelry store and used the weapon to smash two display cases full of expensive rings and necklaces, said a police official who spoke on condition of anonymity because detectives were still investigating.

Security guard Gregory J. Boyle, a retired New York New Yorkepartment detective, confronted the man. About three gunshots rang out as the two wrestled and fell to the floor, though it wasn't clear who fired, the official said. Both were armed.

Another hotel employee then tackled the suspect, the police official said. The suspect's gun went off again as they grappled, but that bullet apparently struck no one. Hotel security staffers arrived and took the suspect into custody.

Witness Jeff Johnston of Raleigh, N.C., said he was near the store when chaos broke out.

'All of a sudden people were running and hiding behind hotel furniture,' he said.

One bullet hit Boyle in the chest, the police official said. He was taken to Bellevue Hospital and was in stable condition, authorities said. Boyle retired from the NYPD in 2002 after a 21-year career."

Deborah
34.gif

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
WOW! It''s true that people will do ANYTHING for money (or for the ''goods'' that will bring them the money). I can''t believe the hotel employee(s) tackled the guy...just because he was armed that was so dangerous! I would even say foolish!! But I''m SO GLAD no one else was hurt and I hope the guard is fine and recovers well. Can you imagine that? Retiring from NYPD to be a security guard and have to face gunfire? I don''t know - maybe he faced it while he was on the force, and maybe that''s something that you expect as a SG in NYC - but to me it just seems crazy!! You retired from NYPD and become a SG to slow down the pace and try to be safer! :|

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Goodness gracious! I called Cellini at the Waldorf today because I wanted to see their Faberge inventory. Someone answered and calmly said "Would you mind calling back in half an hour. We''re dealing with a situation here."

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
11/16/2008 1:30:04 AM
Author: Harriet

Goodness gracious! I called Cellini at the Waldorf today because I wanted to see their Faberge inventory. Someone answered and calmly said ''Would you mind calling back in half an hour. We''re dealing with a situation here.''

It was obviously all your fault, Harriet. If you hadn''t phoned, the attention of the people wouldn''t have been diverted at the critical moment. (Do I need to say I am joking or have we established that I do that? I also do not mean to make light of the security guard''s being wounded. His being wounded is certainly no cause for levity!)

Deborah
34.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you didn''t have a sense of humour, we couldn''t be friends, m''dear.
2.gif

I hope the guard makes a full recovery.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Were you baking Christmas cookies with your ring on? I am referring to your avatar. I have read about women getting cookie dough on their diamonds, but marshmallow must be tough to get off!

PS-Cute picture!

Deb
34.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deb,
The only thing I ever do in the kitchen is to steep tea.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results