shape
carat
color
clarity

Guest Room Decor Agony...Please Assist.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay so the current bane of my decorating existence is our guest room. warning, this is a long ramble!!!

currently the guest room it has a hodgepodge of stuff in it that didn''t fit elsewhere along with a queen bed, a tall black iron mirror (that i want to leave), a small tall glass top table with a wire statue of a musical instrument on it in bronze and black, a pine nightstand and lamp.

here''s the deal. i want to paint it chesterfield buff from BM and i posted pictures of my sample paint spots in a previous thread, i will put them in here too.

i bought 3 bronze stars from ebay, very similar to the PB ones but just cheaper and different sizes. these are going over the bed in a cluster.

i also have a 3'' mahogany PB frame shelf that goes on the wall and we have 3 pieces of 16x20 large matted artwork that i bought last year at a festival, they are artistic pictures of musical instruments. i bought 3 16x20 dark mahogany thin frame from cost plus to put these in and put 2 on top of the 3'' shelf and another one over in a corner of the room over the small musical instrument and table.

the nightstand and lamp may or may not be replaced, those are the last things to be decided after the rest of the room is done. i have a picture of the existing guest room at home, i will have to post it later for some visuals.

the problem now is the BED and what to put on it. i have been agonizing over this for 2 weeks now, ridiculous. i thought maybe i wanted a green duvet cover, something in a sage to go with the light golden CB walls and the dark bronze/mahogany feel of the other pieces in the room. also the guest bath next door is creams/soft sages (i am painting the walls in there a pale pale sage) with accents in light grayish blue. but i couldn''t find a duvet cover on ebay from RH or PB that went with what i had in my head and i refused to pay retail because this is not supposed to be a huge money sinkhole to redecorate the room.

so then i hit on the idea of doing a layered bed, something like a quilt folded at the foot, with a white down blanket and then colored sheets with shams and pillows etc in the colors. i saw it in PB and thought that may be a nice way to not be ''married'' to a bed color or a duvet cover. we already have a white down blanket, so i figured some sage sheets on overstock $50 and a quilt and shams from eBay for like $150 or $200. so anyway i found PB nesting silk quilts on Ebay and fell in love with Dusty Mint. however a set was $280. the same silk nesting quilt in Lemongrass which was slightly different with a shams in a set was $200. so i bit the bullet and bough the Lemongrass quilt and sham set.

then i freaked out. my worry is that the yellow golden walls in CB mixed with the Lemongrass of the new bedding will be TOO yellow and will turn the walls a sickly green or something, visually. i brought a pillow upstairs that was ''my'' interpretation of Lemongrass and it looks kind of icky in the room with the CB. so now i am really freaking out. i haven''t paid for the eBay auction yet but i don''t plan to back out so now i have to figure out if i am freaking out over nothing OR if there really may be an issue with the color of the walls mixed with the lemongrass. HOWEVER, i wonder if i am worrynig over nothing because this is just a quilt and 2 shams that are going to be in this green, i was thinking all white sheets and then the dark wood accents and bronze in the room HOPEFULLY would balance it out? am i freaking over nothing?

i don''t want to have to get another color for the walls, but now i am thinking maybe i could have BM take the CB color at 75% to lighten it a bit so it''s not so yellowy? should i wait til we get the lemongrass here at the house to look at it? that won''t be til next wed or thurs probably and i was kind of hoping to paint this weekend.

typically i am not wishy washy like this but it''s SUPER HARD for me to make decor changes that are big like wall paint etc and i have the hardest time committing to things when you don''t know what it will look like. help!

pictures to follow...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here''s CB compared to an old color i was considering which was too orange. CB is the light color.

CB%20DG%20compare%20a.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
2nd comparison picture, again CB is the lighest color. it''s a golden yellow.

CB%20DG%20compare%20b.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here is the lemongrass quilt and shams...

the room here in this pic is green so now i am wondering if maybe doing the same color green i''m doing in the adjoining bathroom is better than CB?

17_1.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and another shot of the lemongrass. pictures can be deceiving but i never saw this in person at the stores!

35_1.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will have to post a picture of the guest room as it stands now when I get home!!

In the meantime, any help or suggestions or ''don''t worry you are just obsessing over nothing''s?

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Mara, this paint is from Benjamin Moore, right? I'm on their website using the personal color viewer and I can't find Chesterfield Buff. Have you used their online tool to see this color in a room?

ETA: yes pictures definitely can be decieving! But It looks like your walls are going to be a brighter gold and the bedding will be a muted gold. With accent pillows I think it could work very well!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
good luck, mara! i''ll be reading this thread with interest. our guest room will also be a hobby room.....and i don''t want it to look like a traditional bedroom.

movie zombie

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
I''m kinda biased because my new favorite color over the last year or so is lemongrass, so I would say wait until the items arrive and take a look. I have the PB silk/velvet blanket & shams in lemongrass and I looooooove the color - not too grey, not too minty/pastel, not too bright, not too dull, etc.... Just a very nice, but kinda lively color. I think this is something that will end up being decided by the lighting in that room. I still have a large sample of CB on one of my LR walls and took my lemongrass pillow shams over next to it and looked at it awhile... then looked away... and looked again... In MY room, the color combo looks very nice - the CB appears to take on a more muted tone next to the lemongrass, but does not take on any of the greenish hues from the shams... BUT, that''s in our LR, in which the CB kinda looks washed out to me, and where the DG looked quite yellow. I really love those nesting quilts though... I just want to go take a nap in the middle of a bunch of ''em!!

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2006 3:00:21 PM
Author: Mara
here is the lemongrass quilt and shams...

the room here in this pic is green so now i am wondering if maybe doing the same color green i''m doing in the adjoining bathroom is better than CB?
Oh, and I gotta say that I''m not exactly crazy about the color combo in this PB pic - usually I love what they do with wall color and bedding ensembles... but the sagey/minty green walls aren''t doing anything for me combined with the more yellowy green of the bedding...

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2006 3:14:21 PM
Author: sunkist
Mara, this paint is from Benjamin Moore, right? I''m on their website using the personal color viewer and I can''t find Chesterfield Buff. Have you used their online tool to see this color in a room?

ETA: yes pictures definitely can be decieving! But It looks like your walls are going to be a brighter gold and the bedding will be a muted gold. With accent pillows I think it could work very well!
I think it''s Chestertown Buff? All of these buffs and golds... are swimming in my head... chestertown... sheffield... dorset...
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Teebee you rock!!

Sunkist, maybe it''s Chestertown Buff? I can''t recall right this minute and my paint sample is at home. But it''s a CB...one way or the other! Yes a BM color.

I can also have them lighten out the CB to 75% to wash it out a bit more if the lighting in the room is not sufficient enough to brighten it up. I can also manipulate lighting in the room to make it brighter though the room DOES get alot of natural light and a stream of sunlight for 2-3 hours in the morning.

My main concern is that the walls would pick up the color from the shams and quilt and rather than looking more golden would end up being a sickly green yellow, we all know THAT color...right?

I could wait til I get the shams and quilt next week but the main issue is that I wanted to paint the room this weekend, I have alot of time. I was planning to get all the stuff tomorrow and tape the room off then paint on Sat and Sun. But if I have to wait til Tues/Wed of next week when I get the stuff then I can''t paint til the weekend after and we have alot of things going on then.

I also felt like last nite in the dim lighting of the bedroom that the walls took on a greenish hue from the pillow I held up (again this pillow is just my interpretation of what PB''s lemongrass could be, it''s a limish washed out yellow green silk pillow) and that bothered me alot. So that is why I really freaked out.
39.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
My gut says to lighten the paint to 75% and that would solve the problem I bet - but that''s going on the pictures where the paint color looks kinda dark to me. It''s hard to compare cuz in the PB catalog picture the light is just FLOODING into the room from the back window and could be washing the colors out quite a bit. I don''t think you could go wrong lightening the paint a bit and doing the paint this weekend.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Cool, I found the CB. In this picture that green pillow may be close to Lemongrass?? Or it may help imagine what it would really look like.

buffbedroom.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm....the last time I saw the paint colors, I was on my computer at home...now looking at it from work and I think it's quite yellow...a tad too yellow for my taste but that's just me. But it could just be the compu screen.. I wouldn't put all lemon bedding with that...I would put a white down like you say...and then I would put dark chocolate brown at the foot of the bed or a mixed color or even the lemongrass at the foot of the bed...up top do some white and some pillows with chocolate and lemon in them....my 2 cents.....you can always contact the seller and say you misjudged and you will pay them the listing fee...usually a couple of bucks...that way there is no harm done

but I want to add that it's hard to judge without seeing it. Just trust your own eyes

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2006 3:51:34 PM
Author: moremoremore
Hmmm....the last time I saw the paint colors, I was on my computer at home...now looking at it from work and I think it''s quite yellow...a tad too yellow for my taste but that''s just me. But it could just be the compu screen.. I wouldn''t put all lemon bedding with that...I would put a white down like you say...and then I would put dark chocolate brown at the foot of the bed or a mixed color or even the lemongrass at the foot of the bed...up top do some white and some pillows with chocolate and lemon in them....my 2 cents.....you can always contact the seller and say you misjudged and you will pay them the listing fee...usually a couple of bucks...that way there is no harm done

but I want to add that it''s hard to judge without seeing it. Just trust your own eyes
hehe MMM well actually this is the plan...basically almost what you outlined...

on the bed, white sheets and a white down blanket. bottom of the bed, lemongrass quilt folded. pillows, 2 lemongrass shams and 2 white pillows. so it''s a ''layered'' bed look with two colors, white and the lemongrass. and am thinking maybe chocolate brown pillows behind all of that. or see how it looks first then maybe add choco brown.

i thought maybe the white from the bed would also contrast against the walls a bit?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
sunkist, that color looks really dark in that room, almost more like the dorset gold than CB...in our room it''s a little lighter. but similar kind of family. i used the BM paint thing online but unfortunately i feel like it''s super inaccurate! even the paint guys at the store were like oh that thing is not accurate! bah!

ivanadiamond

Brilliant_Rock
I think if you keep all the bedding white besides the nesting sham and quilts it won''t look too yellowy, but I like your idea of reducing the CB by 75%. I think it is going to look really beautiful. I do really like the wall color of the PB pic too though.

by the way, I got the cream nesting quilt and sham combo as a wedding gift and LOVE it. It feels so soft, you don''t want to get out of bed~

My honest advice would be to wait until you get the quilts and then pick the paint...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i wanted to post these pictures too, this is the guest room now, naked and bare and uglay! it also houses Greg''s musical instruments...hence me kind of having fun with the music theme, but for the guest visit those will go in the closet!

guest bedroom 0206.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and another one to show a different angle. the stars will be grouped over the bed and to the right there (on the right wall just out of the picture) will be the mahogany shelf with the 16x20 artwork.

guest bedroom 0206 b.jpg

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2006 4:06:02 PM
Author: Mara
sunkist, that color looks really dark in that room, almost more like the dorset gold than CB...in our room it''s a little lighter. but similar kind of family. i used the BM paint thing online but unfortunately i feel like it''s super inaccurate! even the paint guys at the store were like oh that thing is not accurate! bah!

Are you serious!? What a waste to have a tool that doesn''t even work
20.gif
3.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Contrast helps to make a room look smaller...so I think I would actually go with the lemongrass and lightening up the wall color...and add the white and maybe a small chocolate pillow...and keep the contrast low....I think I would definitely lighten the color up...

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Mara,
I think the lemongrass looks funny in PB pic because of the green wall reflection. I think it will match quite nicely with the CB - although you could definitely do a 75% strenth also.

Are you going to have any other colors in the room? In the pic from the BM site that Sunkist posted - I just love that magenta, jewel toned pink splash of color.

I can''t wait for the "after" pics!

P.S. My fi has that same brass saxophone statue
1.gif
(He played bari sax in h.s. & college).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
HMM i will think on the 75% strength vs 100% and figure it out tomorrow hopefully.

the other thing is that even when the bedding arrives, its not like i can hold it up to the tiny 3x3 inch paint swatch and know how it will look once the whole room is painted, so part of this is still a guessing game!

in terms of another color, i am really not a huge color person, it's hard for me to use color at all, i'm so neutral loving, and if i do use color i really only love blues and greens, so i figured that keeping the room simple with bronze/brass accents (browns), the lemongrass for a splash of color with green, and whites for crispness against the wall would be enough going on? yes no? maybeso?

danielle, greg plays a tenor (i think tenor?) sax, the trombone and the tuba. we've gotta lot of instruments floating around!

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
Mara, I think what ever you do will look awesome! As you know I am a bit design "challenged", so I can''t really offer you much advice! Can''t wait to see the finished result

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
just an update for you gals...

the lemongrass bedding came today and it looks GREAT!!!!! i love it! it's more like a soft sage with just a touch of lemongrass to it...it looks GREAT with the CB wall swatch. seriously it's so plush i am jealous.

also the copper stars came and they are fab too. they look awesome. i'm so excited now!

the funny thing is that the Dorset Gold actually looked awesome up against the bedding when i held it up. so i was kind of torn again for like 5 minutes....i don't like the orange so much in the DG but with the bedding it would be a really strong look, complimentary BUT then i realized i don't want the room to be some overpowering color thing ... so i think that CB is going to work out great. i'm glad i didn't decide to do a 75% blend, because i think that the 100% after 2 coats will be great.

now to tape the room and go get the paint!! hopefully i can get the painting of that room done this weekend! AND maybe even the bathroom which is very small and i'd like to get it out of the way as well. then just the office is left!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Oh how exciting Mara!! I''m happy that the colors match so well
36.gif
Decorating is just too much fun for me
1.gif
I hope you''ll post final or semi final pictures!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I am so glad everything is coming together for you. Me I am a decorating retard and have my friends help me on new projects. I can''t wait for the final pics. You definitely have a talent for this stuff which I envy. Hubby told me the house is being redone next year when the kids are gone and I am panicking already....
32.gif

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Yay!! I''m glad you love the lemongrass bedding and that it will work with CB!! Good luck with your painting this weekend.

I think I''ve finally decided on a new living room color and FI will be out of town this weekend...
31.gif
BUT... I also have 3 exams and a paper due next week so maybe not...

And the lemongrass shade - It really seems to me that solid bedding colors tend to look much bolder in PB catalogs than in person... I have a mattelasse quilt in Porcelain Blue that I''m not happy with - if the color were as saturated in person as it was in the catalog then it would be perfect, but is seriously at least 2 shades lighter and looks very pale and pastel to me.

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh, I''m so happy to hear you like the Lemongrass bedding! I also love the look of those copper stars in the catalogs. I''ve been trying to think of a place in our house that they would work, but I haven''t been successful so far. I have found the perfect spot though for the Pottery Barn swirly votive candle holder
2.gif
. Fi asked if we could register for it - I think I can agree to that!

Good luck painting - is Greg going to be home during?

P.S. I found the bathroom the hardest place to paint even though it was the smallest room. Too many edges!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results