shape
carat
color
clarity

GSI cert? experts please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi,

have any of you heard of GSI certified? I had a jewler just tell me that GSI is run by the ex president of EGL......supposedly they have a more strict grading than EGL...they are aspiring to be like GIA....

can any of the experts out there give me some insight?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One of the ex-partners in EGL-USA has opened a new lab in NYC. Maybe he will succeed in grading more stringently than his previous firm and maybe not. It will be many a year until the credibility level is built and secure.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
thanks Lorelei, I did search and found that thread, but it was from 2002, so I thought maybe somone knew something more four years later.

thanks Old Miner......so are you suggesting that it would not be advisable to purchase a GSI cert''d diamond??

jldunn

Rough_Rock
I''d recommend sending the stone to be certified by GIA or AGS before buying it. If this lab really is reliable, it''ll get the same grade at one of the established labs. Certification isn''t too expensive, so it''s worth it for peace of mind. Offer to buy it and pay for the certification contingent on it being certified as the same quality as the GIS cert. Require that if it doesn''t match, you will not purchase the stone or reimburse them for the certification.

Most likely they will refuse this offer as they''d rather sell the stone to someone else who doesn''t know enough to do this. If the lab is really as good as the jeweler claims to be the jeweler would have no reason to use it, as he''d have an easier sell with a higher price on the same stone with a certification from one of the major labs (GIA or AGS).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crumbs, I didn''t realise the thread was that old!
emembarrassed.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results