Premium
Dancing Fire|1459229366|4012434 said:
My bird is bigger than your bird!... :silenced: :whistle:

Beautiful!

No wonder all the ladies like you better than me. ;(

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool, do you know if it is a he or a she yet? Is there no way to tell from the colour of the feathers, the beak or the feather pattern? We have lots of beautiful looking wild Australian parrots around where I live and I can generally tell the males from the females because of slight variations in colour....

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just beautiful! Congratulations! I think it is wonderful that you love your animals so much, whilst still allowing them to be animals and not humanize them - too much :) I love my dog like she was a child - but I do know that she is not, lol.

CrazyBirdLady

Shiny_Rock
Oh Kenny I'm so sorry to hear about Puppy. Being a bird owner it makes me sad to read this. Welcome to the world of conures :) you wont have a dull moment living with one and i think its a very smart move getting the quiet type. Im liking the name Pickles as well. Please keep us updated ith how the new little one is going.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How utterly adorable!! :love:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1459225603|4012414 said:
WeeOui|1459219273|4012367 said:
Oh my gosh! I love him!! Or her! I know you said gender-neutral names, but I think she looks like a Fraulein Kerfuffle. Or maybe he looks like a Monsieur Tootenagle.

:lol:

That reminds me.
In the 1960s my sister had a cat she named Lord Snowden.

Ohhh I like your sister's way of naming. I had a cat named Sir Didymous Ambrosious. (bonus points for anyone who knows where I got that name)

WeeOui

Rough_Rock
Premium
packrat|1459256480|4012505 said:
Oh my gosh! I love him!! Or her! I know you said gender-neutral names, but I think she looks like a Fraulein Kerfuffle. Or maybe he looks like a Monsieur Tootenagle.

That reminds me.

Ohhh I like your sister's way of naming. I had a cat named Sir Didymous Ambrosious. (bonus points for anyone who knows where I got that name)

Labyrinth, yes? Tallyho!!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Oh my, what a dear little thing.

I too, am a bird lover. We have a cockatiel, Ziggy, who is our flock leader. She has provided more comfort, affection and laughs than I can count.

Happy flying through life together :))

hoover

Shiny_Rock
Your new family member is beautiful, Kenny! Congrats on the new addition :appl:
I like the name Pickles - because pickles can be sweet, sour, and full of personality :cheeky:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
WeeOui|1459281113|4012642 said:
packrat|1459256480|4012505 said:

That reminds me.

Labyrinth, yes? Tallyho!!

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting about clipping wings, thank you. Do you have to take a bird to someone to clip the wings or do you do it yourself? I'm glad it's just like clipping nails-it always sounded worse than that to me- I thought it was a painful thing so I am lad to hear it's not. What do you do then for exercise if he can't fly? Do birds play?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spectacular coloring on your new baby! Your SO is quite the hottie too! Congrats!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
packrat|1459303870|4012926 said:
What do you do then for exercise if he can't fly? Do birds play?

If he is anything like my father's Lorikeet then he will take up combat sports training with the other housepets :lol:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
jordyonbass|1459305087|4012935 said:

If he is anything like my father's Lorikeet then he will take up combat sports training with the other housepets :lol:
Bahahahaha Rambo bird!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting about clipping wings, thank you. Do you have to take a bird to someone to clip the wings or do you do it yourself? I'm glad it's just like clipping nails-it always sounded worse than that to me- I thought it was a painful thing so I am lad to hear it's not. What do you do then for exercise if he can't fly? Do birds play?

I clip the feathers myself after wrapping him in a towel so he doesn't see me.
It's very quick, maybe 5 seconds and it's over.

You do have to be careful to not cut a blood feather as the bird could bleed to death.
When feathers are new/growing they are enclosed in a waxy coating and look like a straw.
Eventually the tip will emerge and gradually the rest.

When birds preen they nibble away a bit of the end of this coating.
Since they can't preen their own heads birds take turns preening each other there.
If there is no other bird you can do it for your very grateful bird, but you must be gentle as blood feathers are very sensitive.
They'll let you know if it's too early to start removing the coating.

I did not take these pics.

screen_shot_2016-03-29_at_7.png

screen_shot_2016-03-29_at_0.png

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fascinating! I had no clue there was so much to having a bird. How come you don't let him see you clip his wings? Does it scare them?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
what a beautiful new addition to your family! So colorful!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Opps, duplicate post. :oops:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1459306544|4012946 said:
Fascinating! I had no clue there was so much to having a bird. How come you don't let him see you clip his wings? Does it scare them?

Well, since I'm skilled and quick and this bird actually likes it when I grasp him in my hand the towel is probably not necessary.
But if he'd never seen a scissor I'd never let him see me approach him with it unless he got used to it over time.

With other birds and with other human-'barbers' it can be stressful and traumatic, though not physically painful ... same with toenail trimming.
Grabbing the body, restraining the head at the neck, and holding out a wing is very stressful and frightening for nearly all birds.
The towel also prevents the bird from biting the groomer.

Birds are fragile, not just physically (since they must be build lightly to fly), but emotionally/psychologically.
Remember we are desiring what's not natural or bred into them for zillions of years ... bonding with humans.
One bad experience with a human can set the relationship back ... hence the towel thing.
Many owners let a groomer at the vet or pet shop be the 'bad guy' to preserve the good relationship.
The bird-human relationship is all about replacing natural fear with trust.

Then there's nail clipping, another grooming thing people often do after toweling the bird.
Bird nails get as sharp as cat nails and this guy spends time hanging out in my shirt ... ouch!

Instead of clipping the nails I want to use an emery board.
I'll introduce it gradually and make it a play time, and something first used as a toy and to massage him.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! Your new family member is adorable. I can't wait for you to find out more about his/her personality and report back.

The clipping the feathers sounded fine to me until you mentioned about blood feathers...I would be filled with trepidation! Do they look the same as other feathers? Are they easy to distinguish?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1459357369|4013161 said:
Congratulations! Your new family member is adorable. I can't wait for you to find out more about his/her personality and report back.

The clipping the feathers sounded fine to me until you mentioned about blood feathers...I would be filled with trepidation! Do they look the same as other feathers? Are they easy to distinguish?

Blood feathers look and feel very different.
They are easy to spot, especially on the wings since those feathers are so large
Plus the birds I've had only molt once a year so it's not something you always have to worry about.
On the head they're tiny to you scratch their heads very carefully.

Blood feathers can be broken if the bird falls down.
A damaged blood feather IS an emergency.
Image a straw inserted into your artery.
The bird can bleed to death.

First aid is to use a pointed pliers to quickly and firmly pull out the feather where it meets the flesh.
The whole feather, including the base, will come out.
The bird's body is able stop the bleeding now that the 'wound' is internal, and not at the end of a straw.

BTW, we've decided on a name.
For the last few days we've been calling him the top 3 contenders, Pickles, Bibi, and Tico.

Bibi won.
Pronounced, bee bee.
It just feels right for this feathery luvbucket.

Actually, I preferred Tico but it doesn't just flow off the tongue like Bibi.
Tico sounds more cool, but Bibi feels better and more affectionate.

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry packie, I forgot to answer this.

Yes, parrots love to play and that is all the exercise an unflighted bird can get.
I also monitor the weight with a little postal scale to watch for obesity.

Many parrots are amazing and comical little gymnasts.
Parrots are like 3 year olds that stay 3 years old.
It's my job to buy or make many toys with colors, bells and chewable parts for the bird to climb around and destroy.
Chewing is important.
Birds must keep the beaks and jaw muscles in shape all year for that all-important nest building time.
Chewing/destroying stuff is instinctive and healthy.
Giving them plenty of satisfying chewable stuff to destroy helps protect your furniture.

To prevent boredom I must rotate toys so he remains interested, challenged and active.
Often their favorite 'toys' are free, like cardboard rolls from toilet paper or paper towels if you cut them up into rings and string several onto a rope.

There are also bird-safe playgrounds with washable floors you should place around the house.
That way your bird can stay near you, which is almost certainly what it prefers.

screen_shot_2016-03-30_at_0.png

screen_shot_2016-03-30_at_1.png

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: :appl: :appl: I've been coming here several times a day looking for more pics and bird commentary, thank you for posting more, Kenny!

You are an excellent bird caregiver. I'm sure your new baby will be very happy in your care. Did I miss it, have you selected a name?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1459363899|4013242 said:
:appl: :appl: :appl: I've been coming here several times a day looking for more pics and bird commentary, thank you for posting more, Kenny!

You are an excellent bird caregiver. I'm sure your new baby will be very happy in your care. Did I miss it, have you selected a name?

Thanks.

Yes, two posts up I described how we came up with our baby's new name. :wavey:

I'll get more pics up in the days to come.
Kinda busy now but I'l squeeze some in.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Bibi! I'm a bird lover too. I can't have any because my husband is quite allergic to them. We had cockatiels decades ago and they were both very obsessed with me. I also had a budgie when I was a child, and a canary too I just remembered. The cockatiels would both bite my husband brutally if he came near me. We didn't have them both at the same time. Maybe one day I can have another small bird, when I can no longer have or look after dogs. I hate to see parrots in pet stores. Mostly I see ones that are being fostered and are up for rescue. They have an adoption process, so not just anyone can buy the bird. I love to talk to them and pet them if allowed. They always come to me, I don't know why.

You are such a good bird and dog parent. Your pets are so lucky.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your new baby, Kenny! I used to have one, named Jasper. He loved to fly over to me whenever he saw me consuming any liquid from a cup, and he would drink out of my cup. His favorite was coca cola. He would fly over to me whenever the water in the sink was on, because he wanted to "grab" the stream of water. Over. and over. Unfortunately, he was eaten by some stray cat that followed my cat in from his secret window into the house.

I miss him. Seeing yours brings me fond memories.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Parrots are like 3 year olds that stay 3 years old."

This made me laugh. Hey, at least you know what you're getting into.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kisses to your new baby from Puff, who was found on someone's roof, given to me & now flies through the house screaming "charmingly" when he is not stealing diamonds.
img_5579.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results