shape
carat
color
clarity

Green tint to a K colored stone?

meg_

Shiny_Rock
I finally got a chance to take my stone in and try it with some rose gold semi mounts and shockingly it looked slightly green!? I've never seen that before? With the platinum and white gold settings it had a warmer tone (It's definitely not bright icy white), so I assumed it would look lovely in a yg or rg setting. Inside the store, it looked great in all three colors, but as soon as we walked outside it took on a green tint in the yg and rg.

My stone was way too big for the semi-mounts and so it was just kind of floating on top. Would actually setting the stone minimize the tint? I'd even be open to a bezel... It faces up anywhere from really white to slightly pastel while it's loose. When I set it in the crook of two fingers it becomes my favorite shade of just slightly warm, but still bright.

I really don't like the green. :(

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the green didnt happen in the plat, but in the yg and rg?

Im wondering if it was the metal next to the stone..like maybe having the prongs in plat but the rest of the setting in rose gold or yellow gold might help... OR, just setting it in all plat or an unplated white gold( like sarabears or yessies)?

Did you take any pictures?

meg_

Shiny_Rock
I did take pictures, but it's not as nonticable.

Forgive the weird settings, it was all they had in each color to hold my "large" stone. (Minus the RG, it was way too small)

Yellow gold
photo__10_.jpg

Plat
photo__9_.jpg

Rose gold
photo__8__0.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
haha i was just thinking "well that is a unique halo"... but i know what you mean, try on what you can find

you said it wasnt noticeable there, but more outside??

I really like it in the platinum, i think that or unplated WG would look beautiful and fix the problem?

ETA: your stone looks so goooooooood!

meg_

Shiny_Rock
nielseel|1359332847|3365095 said:
haha i was just thinking "well that is a unique halo"... but i know what you mean, try on what you can find

I really like it in the platinum, i think that or unplated WG would look beautiful and fix the problem?

Thanks. The green worries me a little. But I'm so enamored over the size.

I see a bit of green in these images, but he color showed more outside.

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Could it be fluorescence? :confused:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
meg_|1359334596|3365108 said:
nielseel|1359332847|3365095 said:

Thanks. The green worries me a little. But I'm so enamored over the size.

I see a bit of green in these images, but he color showed more outside.

ah I hate to ask :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:
are you certain this is the stone for you?

I feel like youve been selling it to yourself a little. Before you were a little concerned about the color i remember as well, and now your back to color again. Now dont get me wrong, i think its stunning, i think the color is beautiful and im a weirdo who would think a little green in my diamond is super cool :geek:
BUT I am not you and im worried you might be selling yourself on this stone because you really WANT to love it, not because you actually do...

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
What are you thinking about for the setting now? Are you still going to try to make the halo you found?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It was envrionmental reflection I am sure. Trees or your clothing. There is not enough body color in a K color stone for the tint to actually appear as any particular color. But slightly tinted stones really amplify environmental colors. Its a cool feature of them -- they really reflect and take on greens, taupes, browns, and beiges.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Part of the color changes might be the tint + the shallower depth. It's only 58%, right? Shallow depth viewed at close range, plus the body ting, might give it some odd coloration at times, maybe?

Based on those pictures, I also like it better in the white metal than in RG or YG. Some stones just tell you want they want. I have one that landed in a "bold gold" YG mounting, because that was what the stone picked, lol.

meg_

Shiny_Rock
nielseel|1359338432|3365142 said:
ah I hate to ask :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:
are you certain this is the stone for you?

I feel like youve been selling it to yourself a little. Before you were a little concerned about the color i remember as well, and now your back to color again. Now dont get me wrong, i think its stunning, i think the color is beautiful and im a weirdo who would think a little green in my diamond is super cool :geek:
BUT I am not you and im worried you might be selling yourself on this stone because you really WANT to love it, not because you actually do...

Maybe a little? It's so big and sparkly......

And thank you DS, that's it. I was wearing a green shirt yesterday. That makes much more sense.

Chamy, I don't know. It looked best surrounded by diamonds and less metal. I may opt for the more traditional HW style to keep it looking whitest. Although, I have to admit, I'm a tinge disappointed since I've really been coveting a RG ring. However, I think in the end I'll be more upset at letting the large diamond go than missing out on the RG setting. I can always set a colored stone in rose gold for a RHR.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Meg I have a K EC stone and set it in 18k WG. It faces up extremely white in that metal. I would have done platinum but already had my diamond band and it is WG. The stones in my band are G-H color and you really can't notice a difference. I also took the diamond to various stores and set it on top of settings of various colors. I found YG,RG and unplated WG really brought out the tint, which wasn't the look I was going for. I think if you're sensitive to the color but want to keep the stone platinum is the best route to set it in.

My stone also has a shallow depth with a larger table, not a perfect "by the numbers" EC but it is a very lively,bright stone and I'm really happy with it. So the trade off for me was worth it. I hope this helps. Best of luck in your setting quest :))

meg_

Shiny_Rock
woofmama|1359346867|3365242 said:
Meg I have a K EC stone and set it in 18k WG. It faces up extremely white in that metal. I would have done platinum but already had my diamond band and it is WG. The stones in my band are G-H color and you really can't notice a difference. I also took the diamond to various stores and set it on top of settings of various colors. I found YG,RG and unplated WG really brought out the tint, which wasn't the look I was going for. I think if you're sensitive to the color but want to keep the stone platinum is the best route to set it in.

My stone also has a shallow depth with a larger table, not a perfect "by the numbers" EC but it is a very lively,bright stone and I'm really happy with it. So the trade off for me was worth it. I hope this helps. Best of luck in your setting quest :))

Yes, it does! Thank you.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
You won't regret sticking with platinum for your e-ring. I find it is best to keep e-rings simple ... and you can always go more different with RHR. Ok .. so I found a more traditional platinum halo setting that I am coveting and really want to buy (but don't need). The pave looks great and it will fit your stone. To me, it is priced very well. I don't want to post it broadly.

meg_

Shiny_Rock
I'd love to see Charmypoo

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1359342538|3365208 said:
It was envrionmental reflection I am sure. Trees or your clothing. There is not enough body color in a K color stone for the tint to actually appear as any particular color. But slightly tinted stones really amplify environmental colors. Its a cool feature of them -- they really reflect and take on greens, taupes, browns, and beiges.

+1

If that diamond was really noticeably green it would be graded as a Fancy Colored Diamond and the price would be MUUUUCH higher.
Green is one of the most expensive FCD colors if of natural origin.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry if I'm sounding goofy, but is there any chance the green is coming from the environment at all? clothing? wall cover? landscaping? I think that stone has tons of personality! Mine shoots green sparks too, but does not look green.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
motownmama|1359398131|3365589 said:
sorry if I'm sounding goofy, but is there any chance the green is coming from the environment at all? clothing? wall cover? landscaping? I think that stone has tons of personality! Mine shoots green sparks too, but does not look green.

'Shooting green sparks' is not body color.
It's dispersion, which comes in all colors.
Dispersion has nothing to do with body color, or a 'green tint'.

meg_

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1359397337|3365576 said:
Dreamer_D|1359342538|3365208 said:

+1

If that diamond was really noticeably green it would be graded as a Fancy Colored Diamond and the price would be MUUUUCH higher.
Green is one of the most expensive FCD colors if of natural origin.

Yes, as soon as Dreamer pointed that out I realized that I was wearing a green shirt. It makes much more sense than thinking there was a green tint to the diamond.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think the green shirt you had on was the most likely culprit, but I've definitely seen stones come through with odd tints to them. To be certain, place the loose diamond face up on a white sheet of paper in different lighting environments and see what you think. We've definitely had yellow and brown hued stones, and twice we had stones come through with very noticeable gray body color. I once had a yellow toned stone that I swear had a hint of green in the body color (uncerted) but I never really experimented to see if it was real or situational. Good luck!

meg_

Shiny_Rock
ericad|1359407267|3365764 said:
I think the green shirt you had on was the most likely culprit, but I've definitely seen stones come through with odd tints to them. To be certain, place the loose diamond face up on a white sheet of paper in different lighting environments and see what you think. We've definitely had yellow and brown hued stones, and twice we had stones come through with very noticeable gray body color. I once had a yellow toned stone that I swear had a hint of green in the body color (uncerted) but I never really experimented to see if it was real or situational. Good luck!

Thanks Erica! I tested this and there is a yellow tone to the diamond (obviously, since it's a k) but no green. It must have been my shirt.

meg_

Shiny_Rock
CharmyPoo|1359351567|3365274 said:
You won't regret sticking with platinum for your e-ring. I find it is best to keep e-rings simple ... and you can always go more different with RHR. Ok .. so I found a more traditional platinum halo setting that I am coveting and really want to buy (but don't need). The pave looks great and it will fit your stone. To me, it is priced very well. I don't want to post it broadly.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post my email address, but I'm happy to if you'd like to email it to me?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results