shape
carat
color
clarity

Grandmother's Wedding Dress

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies,

I'm not getting hitched until June 2012, but This weekend I visited my grandmother and she had me try on her old wedding dress - a 1950's satin gown with a sweepy train. My aunt wore it back in the 80's for her wedding too. My grandmother offered me it's use, but I'm significantly smaller than my relatives, so it would have to be taken in quite a bit.

I have almost no wedding budget right now, so having a free dress (and not having to pick one out) would be fantastic, but I'm not sure if my slim (and flat-chested) figure would suite a style designed for the gentle curves of the 1950's

I could also possibly have it re-styled somehow to make it more current. Attached is a mock-up of what the dress looks like - it has an odd sort of mesh and satin collar that I'm not a huge fan of.

What do you think? Is it delightfuly vintage, or better left to the past?

I have a feeling that the sleeveless wedding dress trend is going to come to a close soon, but I think how soon depends on what Kate wears to the royal wedding.

454grannydress1.jpg

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
i think it could be lovely, hopedream. but i think it depends on your day-to-day style. does a vintage design mesh with that? did you snap any photos of yourself in the dress that you would be willing to share? is it a v-neck portrait style collar w/netting coming up to your neck w/another satin band around your neck? (sorry, just trying to tell exactly what i see.) from the pic you posted, i think it definitely has the possiblity to work for you :)

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
HopeDream said:
What do you think? Is it delightfuly vintage, or better left to the past?
Without knowing you and your style, I have no idea!

The right bride could rock the dress and make it stunning and fashionable, but from the tone of your words I'm not sure that *you* think you're that bride. And since the woman makes the dress, not the other way around, what you feel about the styling is the most important thing. If the dress retains its 50s vibe, would you want to work the wedding around that aesthetic? Or do you care?

One thing I wouldn't worry about is whether the shape of the dress would look good on you. Have you seen January Jones as Betty Draper!?! Stunning!

I would take the dress to a tailor and ask for a cost estimate on alterations. Depending on what you want done to it, it may or may not make financial sense to move forward with the project.

Personally, I think that's a dress you love and embrace with only minor modifications (fit and slight updating) or you choose a different look. To me, totally cutting up the dress to turn it into something else loses a lot of the sweet sentimentality inherent in wearing your grandmother's wedding dress.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I think it could be an absolutely beautiful on you, once fitted properly - maybe with slight alterations to better fit your figure, and I am just imagining how thrilled your grandmother will be to see you wearing her dress!

I wore my MIL's dress, and the sentiment truly made everyone so happy ::) if you like the dress I think it would be a lovely gesture to accept the generous offer.

Just be sure to get an estimate on alterations from a reputable tailor so you know what you're looking at, if it needs to be lengthened and there's not enough material from taking it in it can be difficult/expensive to find matching material.

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
I love the dress, it has such a glam feel to it, that i think once there are some alternations, it would be lovely. What would you like to do to it? Maybe since you are smaller, lucky you, than the rest of the family, maybe have it taken in, and than possibly have the sleeves modify also. Maybe you can make it into a off the shoulder design and shorten the sleeves a bit. I only say to maybe do this because you are smaller, and if its okay with your grandma.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
lulu66|1293005708|2803565 said:
i think it could be lovely, hopedream. but i think it depends on your day-to-day style. does a vintage design mesh with that? did you snap any photos of yourself in the dress that you would be willing to share? is it a v-neck portrait style collar w/netting coming up to your neck w/another satin band around your neck? (sorry, just trying to tell exactly what i see.) from the pic you posted, i think it definitely has the possiblity to work for you :)

oh, hopedream, i'm so anxious for you to come back to the thread to see what you're thinking about.

re: alterations. if it were for me? i'd take the sleeve to elbow length or right below & change the waist to a circle (i'm not a big fan of the pointy V in the waist line) & either remove the mesh netting altogether & leave the v-neckline or remove the netting and add a bit of lace peeking up from the point of the V or maybe keep the mesh netting intact (too many choices...i'm not sure!). oh & stick a big ol' crinoline skirt underneath the dress, find some feminine heels & go get married :D

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
lulu66|1293057946|2804084 said:
lulu66|1293005708|2803565 said:

oh, hopedream, i'm so anxious for you to come back to the thread to see what you're thinking about.

re: alterations. if it were for me? i'd take the sleeve to elbow length or right below & change the waist to a circle (i'm not a big fan of the pointy V in the waist line) & either remove the mesh netting altogether & leave the v-neckline or remove the netting and add a bit of lace peeking up from the point of the V or maybe keep the mesh netting intact (too many choices...i'm not sure!). oh & stick a big ol' crinoline skirt underneath the dress, find some feminine heels & go get married :D

Ooooo, i agree about the v-at the hips. I think if you are going to get it altered, maybe have a circle made out of the hips, or a possible princess seams in the bodice. I think it would be lovely with a off the shoulder sleeve, and shorten it.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
honestly I love it as is, I think it is a beautiful dress :) but if it is not what *you* want to wear, then don't wear it! you could always wear it for the ceremony and get a more modern dress for the reception :)

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies, Thank you for responding!
I’m sorry I didn’t get pictures. It was a fairly spontaneous try-on and I didn’t have a camera with me.

Lulu66 - Yes it is it a v-neck portrait style collar w/netting coming up to the satin band at the neck. The pointy V at the waist doesn’t actually look too bad on me, surprisingly enough, but I’m not sure about the “princess-y” feel of it – I’m not that girly. I think the mesh netting should definitely go, along with the thin satin band at the top of the collar. I do like the Idea of adding a crinoline – which would work nicely if I had the skirt shortened a bit (My grandmother said she always wanted to have the skirt shortened, and then never did)

Silly Berry - I think you’re right, I may not have the right attitude for this gown – Recently I’ve been imagining myself in a 50’s tea-length dress, or a lace sheath (although I also look good in an empire waist) I think my imagined style is more 1920’s or simple modern than 1950s glamour gown. The dress has oxidized considerably with age and will definitely need extensive dry-cleaning.

Yssie – That warm family sentiment is exactly what makes this option so appealing to me. If I do decide on this dress, I’ll definitely find a tailor that specializes in vintage dresses.
Jessie702 – Changing the sleeves would definitely update the look of the dress. I’ve been thinking about what kind of sleeves would look good

Slg47- Hmm...a 2 dress bride? I’d never considered it before – that’s an interesting Idea! I’m not sure what kind of a reception we’re going to have, but that could be a fun option.

Thank you for your comments – You’ve made me see that I’m quite wishy-washy about this dress, so I’ll tread lightly and keep looking for “the one” with this as more of a plan-B If I can’t find anything.

I wonder if I can find something in my area for under $500? I’ll be keeping an eye out at thrift shops and consignment boutiques. Is there a good season for second–hand wedding dresses?

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
What area are you in? Also, I'll assume you've checked out the pre-owned wedding dress sites?

preownedweddingdresses.com
oncewed.com

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
What area are you in? Sample sales are great. A lot of boutiques have them this time of year!

pinki

Shiny_Rock
As a bride who wore her best friend's wedding dress both for budget and sentimental reasons, I think it would be great for you to wear your grandmother's dress. I'd have to see it on you to recommend alterations on how to make it "you" though. I love love love love anything vintage so I think this dress is stunning.

I changed a few things with the BFF's dress and it made it so ME that everyone cried the second they saw it on me, even my mom who was a skeptic through the whole process...she thought I was settling to save money, but once she saw the finished product she saw why I really loved it.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I think the dress is beautiful! That being said, if it's not your style, then you shouldn't feel obligated to wear it. There are many options for brides on a budget... David's Bridal has a lot of dresses for modest prices. You could also check Craig's List for previously owned dresses. Best of luck to you! ::)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that you need to love your dress....whether you love the actual dress or the sentiment- whichever is more important to you!

Also, if you are looking to save money- find out how much alterations would cost you to get it to fit you right and make any changes you would want- you may find it would cost close to the cost of a new dress. So definitely don't just take this dress because of the money issue- take it because you want it!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would grandma care if you did some mods to it? I think if you cut it off sort of long knee length and added some
crinolines to puff it out it would be really cute. Also, modify the top to be an off-the-shoulder look and shorten
the sleves to something more "fun". It could be really adorable (if grandma is ok with it).

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your grandmother had absolutely incredible taste! I also think you could have a lot of fun with that dress, especially if taking up the skirt is an option. SInce you seem open to the possibility of wearing this dress somehow, why not go talk to a good seamstress or wedding dress designer and see what your options are? But since you've also mentioned that you'd prefer a 1920's style dress, by which I assume you mean a dress that's less tailored to your body, maybe you should also look for new or used dresses with that feel.

That wasn't much help, was it? :cheeky:

ETA - are you thinking of 20's-30's styles like some of these? http://www.thefrock.com/FW_page1_main.html

Or perhaps your dream gown is more like one of these? http://www.thefrock.com/bridal_page1_main.html

BTW I think your grandmother's gown would fit right in with this collection!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results