shape
carat
color
clarity

Grandmother's heirloom

GolfSkirt

Rough_Rock
Hello all. I'm 37 and he's 36. Neither of us have been married and weve been dating one month. He dropped the hint he wants to propose with Grandmas engagement ring so I guess please add me to the list. Problem is I've never seen said ring so how do I go about this? In the event Grandma didn't own a 1.2 carat cushion cut in an art deck setting.... Do I take him ring browsing to show him what my taste looks like? Do I ask to see Grandmas ring? I can only imagine everyone's disappointment if I am not genuinely fond of the heirloom ring.

Ravenne

Rough_Rock
I would probably ask point blank what it looks like, but I tend to not have a filter when it comes to jewelry. :oops:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you get a chance to see the setting before hand, and you don't like it, you could suggest that you just use the diamond (heirloom element) and a new to you antique or repro setting ("creating a new life together").

Or maybe for safety --- suggest that anyway and if it turns out you DO like the setting - win/win!! :appl:

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
wow, one month and he's already talking rings?! You luck girl

tell us more about you two. How did you guys meet?

GolfSkirt

Rough_Rock
Haha well... I placed an ad to sell my washer and dryer. He initially was going to come look at the set on Sunday but it was Labor Day weekend and plans kept getting in the way. In the meantime we had each others cell #s so we were texting a lot already. He finally came to settle on the W&D that Wednesday. He got the full tour of my house andhe joked I hadn't left him much closet space to move his things in. I got a big hug. We played golf that Saturday - both super competitive and we really clicked after that. I guess at our age, after chasing careers and dating the wrong people but always growing the self - sometimes the pragmatic AHA PERSON walks into your life and points at the blatently obvious and says, THIS. is effortless. Lets do this!

Schafenm

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Golfskirt, that is an awesome story on how you guys met! I hope your stay is short and sweet.

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
GolfSkirt|1349877702|3282718 said:
Hello all. I'm 37 and he's 36. Neither of us have been married and weve been dating one month. He dropped the hint he wants to propose with Grandmas engagement ring so I guess please add me to the list. Problem is I've never seen said ring so how do I go about this? In the event Grandma didn't own a 1.2 carat cushion cut in an art deck setting.... Do I take him ring browsing to show him what my taste looks like? Do I ask to see Grandmas ring? I can only imagine everyone's disappointment if I am not genuinely fond of the heirloom ring.

First of all, Welcome!! :wavey:

I think as things progress, I would ask to see the ring. You are the one that will be wearing it for the rest of your life and its very important that you love it! I am sure he would understand.

If you like the diamond, but not the setting I would tell him and give him some ideas of settings you do like.

I recently inheirited a ring to use as my engagement ring and although we liked the setting, we had a lot of issues with melee falling out and it was white gold however because of the age and the mix of metals, it would tarnish very easily and it just wasnt practical for us to keep trying to fix it. Not to mention, you have to be super careful about who you bring antique rings to for repair.

So, it may not even be feasible or safe for the diamond to stay in the original setting.

Anyway, he sounds great and I am sure his goal will be to make you happy. If you can use any part of the ring, I would. If you just dont like it, I would be honest. ;-)

Okay, but now I am curious... this ring could be amazing too... Cant wait to hear about it once you see it!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Be honest with him - tell him you like the idea of an heirloom ring but you are afraid that you might not like the ring. Explain that you know this would have repercussions in the family and you don't want that.

GolfSkirt

Rough_Rock
New Development. Apparently my Father's Grandmother's ring is available to me and so is my Morher's original diamond which is a .89 princess cut H color. Should I tell bf to talk to Mom?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you'd prefer those, why not!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd suggest BF talk to mom, for sure! Did you happen to have a convo about setting styles/designs that you like, and maybe he has a sense of what your taste is at this point?

Maybe feed your mom that info, so if he does talk to her, she can guide him in the direction that you'd be happy with!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kate Middleton got to pick the tiara she wore to her wedding, I don't see why you shouldn't get the chance to inspect them all and pick the one you like best.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
JulieN|1351279671|3293063 said:
Kate Middleton got to pick the tiara she wore to her wedding, I don't see why you shouldn't get the chance to inspect them all and pick the one you like best.

Ha, agreed!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1351280977|3293073 said:
JulieN|1351279671|3293063 said:

Ha, agreed!

Hahaha, I love this!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
*bump :wavey: any new updates on your ring?

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1352700944|3303801 said:
*bump :wavey: any new updates on your ring?
Ditto! Have you seen it in person?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results