shape
carat
color
clarity

Grandma/Grandpa Nicknames

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
You know the hardest thing with whole "grandma and granpa" issue, is actually calling my parents grandma and grandpa. That''s not their names, they''re mom and dad! I keep stumbling with that...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
funny thing re: grandma/grandpa...but since we have Portia, i already call my mom grandma when I talk to Portia. Mom hates it!

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Me too, MustangGal! It''s just weird coming out of my mouth.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love all the cute grandparent names!

My mom decided she wanted to be called Mimi and it definitely suits her-she is just not a Grandma for some reason. My dad didn't care and was fine with being called Grandpa but my oldest niece (the first grandkid) called him Tapa because she couldn't say Grandpa and that stuck, so the other 7 grandkids call him Tapa, too.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband and I don''t have kids yet (nor does my sister and BIL)but my mom''s already chosen her nickname. She''d like to be called Grandie (apparently she read it in a book and she liked it). I don''t know if my dad has an opinion on what he''d like to be called. He''s never mentioned anything.

I called my dad''s parents grandma and grandpa. My mom''s parents were nana and pop pop (I never met pop pop because he passed away before I was born).

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 12:01:10 PM
Author: meresal
The older niece and nephew call my mom and dad, Grandma and Granddad.

The youngest calls her Marmie
5.gif
. My mom LOVES Little Women. (Not spelled the same, but you get the idea.)

Fiery: I can see where you are coming from. That is really close IMO, and especially confusing when she is just starting to sound things out. I know if my MIL kept making comments like that, it would drive me insane.
My Mom LOVES Little Women as well and as soon as my siblings had children, she made it clear that''s what she wants to be called. My oldest niece will be two next month and has gotten very verbal. She calls her Mar-mar right now. It''s really, really cute.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom's mom is Gramma Maybelle. That's her middle name, and I'm not sure why, if maybe mom started us calling her that? I never write Grandma/Grandpa-always Gramma/Grampa. Mom's step mom is Gramma Joyce, and when her mom was alive, she was Gramma George (last name). Dad's mom is Gramma with the Kitties. They used to live by us, and they had a lot of cats, and that's how my brother and I differentiated from the other 3 gramma's I guess..tho, there's been no cats since they moved to town like, 20 years ago, and we still call her that. My mom's dad died when I was not quite 3, and I called him Silly Papa. My mom's step dad's nickname was Doc, and I called him Grampa Doc. Dad's dad was always just Grampa. I never referred to any of them after the kids were born as "Great" whatever, I just kept up w/what I call them.

Gramma Maybelle started calling herself "Grammie" so my Aunts grandkids wouldn't get confused, and London couldn't pronounce it when she was little, so she said "Mimi"..so, that's what we refer to her as w/L & T.

Mom and dad used to be Bubba and Boppa, and now they're just plain ole Grampa and Gramma. I liked Bubba and Boppa, I thought it was cute. We did try to get them to call them JoJo and Jiminy Slicket but that didn't stick either.

ETA-wanted to add that when I was writing letters to my Gramma's back in the day before cells and email, I'd address them as "Gramma Maybelle" "Gramma with the Kitties" and "Gramma Joyce"...hahaha confused the mailmen to all get out, but then they'd refer to them by those names when they'd say hi and I just thought it was cute.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
My maternal grandparents are/were Grammy and Pop Pop. My paternal grandparents were Papa and Grandma. My nephew calls my mom Noni (naw-nee) and my dad
Pop Two (he made that up). Our kid will call my mom Noni and my dad Papa.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I called my grandmother "Helga" because that was her name. She didn't feel old enough to be called a grandmother at age 58.
I thought Helga meant grandma in German for *years*.

We call my mom "Sugah Mama" and my dad "Big Poppa" so that's what we'll tell any future babies to call them.

My FIL's grandchildren call him Popsy. I think that's super cute.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
On my dad''s side it''s Nanna and Popa, on my mums it''s Nana and Grandad.

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
my mom is "mama noon", my MIL is "mama fawz" or "mama fawzi" and im just plain ol'' "Mama"
my dad is "boad", my FIL is "boad" as well and DH is "Baba"

The "noon" is first letter of mom''s name...the "Fawz" is nickname of my MIL

the "Boad" is short for "Baba Oad" which means "Big Dad" or "Older Dad"..my son decided to abbreviate it to "Boad" all on his own :) i think its cute

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 10:16:20 PM
Author: Haven
I called my grandmother ''Helga'' because that was her name. She didn''t feel old enough to be called a grandmother at age 58.

I thought Helga meant grandma in German for *years*.

My mother did the same thing with her grandmother, who was named Elsie. She said she was almost a teenager before she realized that Elsie wasn''t another grandmother nickname like Nana or Mimi.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I have my Gramma names in a certain age appropriate order (obsess much?)

I want to teach Veda how to sign for me first.
I want to be Gaga when she first speaks, because it's easiest to say.
Then I just want to be GranJan for brevity.
When she is old enough to text...GMaJ for short.
36.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
We were formal. Grandma and Grandpa (Lastname).
I think it''s cute when the kids come up with their own names when they try to say Grandma or Grandpa.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Miracles, I love that you''ve thought of Veda''s texting name for you already
3.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Bella, I thought it was nice long term planning until I realized that by the time Veda has a communication device, texting will probably be so "2000 and late"! There will likely be a voice activated device that will take the place of texting. It will be much safer, that is for sure.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
My nephew calls (well, my sister calls them this to him - he''s too little to talk yet!) my Mom Nana and her husband TomTom. Then there''s Grandma and Glandad, CC and GG, and a set of greats that I don''t know the nicknames for.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Fathers parents- Nana and Papaw Like Path without the th and then paw
Mothers parents- Grammy and Popaw like pawpaw
DH parents are called Grandma and Poppy by DSD and now the new babes call them YaYa and Poppy
My grammys father was popop

Since I am not having children I will be called Radiantquest for the rest of my life. If DSD has a baby I suppose I will ask to be called...I can''t think of anything.

natalina

Brilliant_Rock
I called my Cuban grandparents Mima (mee-ma) and Papi (pah-pee), and Grandma and Tic for my "American" grandparents. Tic was because of a watch he used to wear that my brother loved because it made a loud tic noise. By the time I came along that had stuck as his name. My dad will be Papi to Ellie. My mom will be Nana. DH''s parents will be MeMe (mee-mee) and PaPa (paw-paw) as that is what their other grandkids already call them.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom had a babysitter when she was little, and she''s no clue what her real name was, but they called her Tanta Anna. It sounds so pretty to say, but mom said she *thinks* it means something not nice, like Fat Aunt or something. (and this lady wasn''t an aunt, so she still has so idea why they called her that) I like how it sounds..I like the "ah" sounds in it. That would be pretty to call someone, if it doesn''t really mean Fat Aunt!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I''m a boomer and although I''m not a Grandma yet, I pity women who are so insecure that they can''t wear the name Grandma proudly. Seriously. What a crock
20.gif

Use what ever name you think you want, but not because you''re "too young" to be called grandparents.
38.gif

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter calls MIL "Bee-ga" and my mom is sometimes "Gee-Gee" or "Mee Mee" depending on the day, but MIL refers to herself as Grandma, and my mother is Grammy. My FIL is "PopPop" (my husband calls his father Pop so that''s what we''ve always called him) and my dad is "Papa" because that''s what we''ve always called the grandfathers in my family.

We didn''t make it a point to pick out names specifically, they just came naturally.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I''m completely at ease with any name for me that Veda comes up with naturally...except for the Tata thing.
38.gif

It just reminds me of ...you know...Tata''s. It''s just not okay for her to call me that.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Everyone in my family is married, divorced, and remarried (sometimes more than once), and there are kids in all of these marriages, so there''s a wide variety of grandparent names in my family just to differentiate all the people! Mine are/were Nana and Papa, Big Daddy and Judy, Mee-Ma and Pa, Pops and Carol, Patsy and Rod, and Mama June and Papaw. DH''s grandparents wound up being Tata and Googoo because that''s what he called them in the baby talk days, but it was embarrassing when he got older so he started calling them Abuela and Abuelo; the embarrassment factor I think is also why his parents went with just Grandpa and Grandpa when my stepson was born. I have a cousin whose grandparents are Bobo and Bud, and I always wonder if he feels funny calling his grandmother Bobo now that he''s in high school. Oh, and my all time favorite--my mom''s former boss is a very proper woman and preferred her grandchildren call her Grandmother Bobbie as this is her first name and the title she felt was most suitable for her...she''s now Granbobbie.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Kinda funny...I''m already used to calling my mom Grandma because that''s where I tell the cat we''re taking him any time we have to go out of town and leave him with my mother!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results