shape
carat
color
clarity

Graduate Degree v. Graduate Certificate

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m curious if anyone can give any info on the difference between the two, not program wise, but implementation wise. I know that certificates are completed more quickly with fewer classes.

Is a certificate even worth getting? Do employers consider that worthwhile? Or is it better to just do an entire graduate program?

Thanks for any info!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know this isn''t the answer you''re looking for, but it depends almost ENTIRELY on your field.

In education, most people only get certificates of advanced study (CAS) for graduate work if they already have a particular graduate degree. For example, I''ve earned an MA in teaching and an MEd in Reading and Literacy. If I want to go back for an MEd in administration, I''d probably just get the CAS, instead because I already have the degree.

I have no idea how it works for other fields, though.

What field are you in?

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m looking at either Human Services or Nonprofit Management... still KIND of undecided, but leaning towards NPM.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Given the fact that even a Masters Degree isn''t sufficient in some fields today, I''d think that a certificate was just a shortened course, and not a full degree and hence, I would take someone with a degree over a cert, if that makes sense.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I also think it depends on your area and on whether you already have a graduate degree. If you have a graduate degree, and then you branch out and do extra training in a specific area and get a certificate for that, I think that can look impressive, instead of getting two graduate degrees (or in my case, 4... but 2 I got ''for free'' teehee!).

But if you just have a BA and a certificate, I imagine that most employers would be all "A certificate, eh? Good for you. Next please!"

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2008 4:47:49 PM
Author: Independent Gal
I also think it depends on your area and on whether you already have a graduate degree. If you have a graduate degree, and then you branch out and do extra training in a specific area and get a certificate for that, I think that can look impressive, instead of getting two graduate degrees (or in my case, 4... but 2 I got ''for free'' teehee!).

But if you just have a BA and a certificate, I imagine that most employers would be all ''A certificate, eh? Good for you. Next please!''
Thats what I was kind of thinking -- the graduate certificate seemed like a half-done attempt at grad school. I think I am leaning towards either the full grad program, or just stick with my bachelors. No use in wasting money on a certificate that people don''t take seriously.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elle--I don''t know much about your chosen field, but it might be a good idea to get into the field first (if you''re not in it already) and ask colleagues about good graduate programs. I know that education programs looked very different to me before I became an educator myself, and my colleagues had fabulous input about the programs I was considering.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2008 5:07:00 PM
Author: Haven
Elle--I don''t know much about your chosen field, but it might be a good idea to get into the field first (if you''re not in it already) and ask colleagues about good graduate programs. I know that education programs looked very different to me before I became an educator myself, and my colleagues had fabulous input about the programs I was considering.

Thats a really good idea, and sort of a relief. LOL. That means I can take a break from school for a bit and work. I was feeling guilty about not going straight to grad school, but I think getting into the industry and checking it out for a bit will help me decide EXACTLY what to get my masters in, and not waste money on things I dont need.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I think for what you are trying to get into, a master''s degree will help you to stand out more than a certification, especially if you want to go into management/administration. Certifications are good if you are trying to enhance/bolster your current degree and are ways for people to keep their knowledge current in their industry. It might be in your best interests to speak with seasoned professionals in the field to get their take. Are there any associations or organizations you can join that might be related? If there are, those would be excellent starting points and might also be a great opportunity for you to network!

customcushion

Shiny_Rock
That means I can take a break from school for a bit and work. I was feeling guilty about not going straight to grad school, but I think getting into the industry and checking it out for a bit will help me decide EXACTLY what to get my masters in, and not waste money on things I dont need.

YES

As a very very proud and succesful university dropout (not that I''m advocating dropping out), I can tell you that you will learn more by starting to work in your chosen industry, than sitting in most classrooms learning from a book. There are some fields where you *need* to do the classroom learning first, but not most.

Formal education will provide you with a living; Self education can make you a fortune.

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
I think a certificate can be a good option for someone who already has a master''s but is looking to add to that degree. For example, I''m looking into a certificate program for Public Administration. I completed my MBA several years ago but my career has led me in a public administration direction. I really don''t want to suffer (yes I said it... suffer) through an entire masters program BUT I''d love to give something of a PA slant to my MBA.

I''ve been told that of the 2 degrees the MBA is preferred by most employers and there seems to be a good mix of the 2 degrees in the organization that I work in. I''ve also been told that my work experience covers me as far as the PA side of things but I''d still like something "official" to put on my resume.

I think a certificate can be a great option if for some reason completing an entire Masters is not an option(time, money, etc.). In most cases I believe that those credits will count toward the full masters degree if the student decides to pursue it. I''d rather have only a certificate than nothing at all.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I have a graduate certificate from Georgetown University''s Paralegal program. It only took me one year to complete (evenings and weekends) but I got a much better job at a bigger law firm and a great raise as soon as I finished the program. I think it''s worth it to do, depending on the field of study. I knew that I didn''t want to go to law school at the time because I wanted to start a family in a few years, so I had to interest in working lawyer hours in my late 20s/early 30s, so I ended up as a paralegal who eventually moved over to a marketing manager position at my former law firm. I was makijng great money, and the hours were very reasonable, compared to the hours the lawyers were working.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results