shape
carat
color
clarity

Grading confidence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In order to promote confidence in grading we now offer the following guarantee of accuracy.
The only other lab we know of offering a somewhat similar promise is GCAL in NYC. It would wonderful to see the big guys adopt similar policies. Many of the small guys could do the same, too. Many labs are capable of offering a promise of accuracy, but choose not to do so. It isn''t a big deal, but there is no reason to think this would not help to show our confidence in the work we do for people. Any lab can share in this, if they choose to do it.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"AGA GUARANTEES DIAMOND GRADING WILL MATCH THE GIA"
When you purchase a diamond based on an AGA-CERT® or AGA-International Report, AGA will pay you the cash difference, to within the accepted trade "one grade tolerance", based on current full Rapaport Sheet, if that diamond grades more than one color grade or one clarity grade different than a subsequently obtained GIA-GTL report.
Limitations:
You have 120 days time from the date of your purchase to obtain the GIA report.
You are responsible for all costs involved in obtaining a GIA report.
You must have an original proof of purchase.
The limit of the AGA liability is a maximum of $5000.
AGA reserves the right to withdraw this guarantee or to modify it.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is a pretty brave move Dave, given that when we conducted this survey http://grading.pricescope.com/ not one of the 17 stones recieved the same grade from GIA, AGS and EGL USA. and one stone was accidentally sent to GIA and got different clarity grades each time (it was apparently a border line case though).

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We are sort of forced to use GIA as an arbiter of "correct" grading in spite of the varied results we have found and well know of otherwise. However, I think a competent lab, any competent lab, can do the job well enough to offer this promise and pay out no claims. I believe it is possible, and I can afford to accept the challenge. Maybe we can develop have a long list of Pricescope recommended labs who would like to adopt this or a related version of such a pledge. That could go a long way in customer comfort levels.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Dave,

I agree, that’s a policy that we should all adopt although I don’t expect any of the major labs to join in any time soon. GCAL has stood alone on this issue for far too long. I applaud AGA for stepping forward and advancing this issue. I’m happy to make a similar guarantee for the Diamond Quality Reports that I prepare at American Gem Registry, Inc. I’ll work out the details of the wording.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its already a movement! Super.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, guys, this is very brave and very dangeous--given that we know how subjective GIA grading can be. I applaud you for your courage, because in your place I might have said I''d pay if GIA graded the "more than one color grade or one clarity grade *lower* than a subsequently obtained GIA.

I can''t wait to hear the results.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lotsa luckgetting anyone to pay the grader!

It would be wonderful to have 30 or 40 labs on board. Maybe Leonid will put an asterisk next to each appraiser''s name offering their own, yet similar, version of such a promise.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results