shape
carat
color
clarity

Grad School now or later? (non-LIW related)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

smiles

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ladies - I know many of us are students so I thought some of you may be able to share your experiences.

I know I want to get my Masters. For what I eventually want to do, I need it. That said my eventual goal (involving private practice) is far off and not even close to being one of my short term goals. Because I knew I wanted to get my Masters it never really occurred to me NOT do it right from my undergrad. I feel that it may be hard for me to go back to school once I get used to working and earning a living.

That said, I may have a contact for a job when I graduate in a year. While it is not my dream job it would be a FANTASTIC first job. Interesting work, good pay good hours benefits etc not to mention that fact that I would like to move out of my parents house in the near-ish future. I am in no rush per say, but it is definitely more on the short term goal side. This has got me thinking about all the other possible alternatives.

So my question to you ladies (and any gentlemen) is what did you do when you finished your undergrad? Did you work for a bit? travel? Continue with more schooling? What were your experiences? I am sure you all have great insights!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
My situation is a little different as I was a general manager for a retail store by the middle of my freshman year. By my Senior Year I landed a government compliance job. The government job was great experience for me and it was also really, really flexible. I was able to go on to Grad school while working with them. Towards the end of my masters I moved on to my current position. I finished my Masters but I cannot imagine having started the program while working for my current company. Even though I''m used to juggling 50+ hours and 5 courses, it was different as I was older (couldn''t stay up all night and go to work in the morning any more) and this job is more professional so I needed my rest. I could only do 2 classes and even then it felt like too much (especially since I was traveling a lot).

My suggestion honestly is that the earlier you can get into grad school, the better. Obviously if you are a LIW, you have marriage in your future. If children are also in your future, it doesn''t make Grad school impossible but it does make it a lot more difficult.

The only real benefit of waiting is that you get some work experience under your belt which makes the grad school experience a lot better. But it really isn''t necessary. When you start off in a job as an entry level position, they''re going to look at your Masters as equivalent to having some job experience. You may run into some setbacks if you try to start off at a higher level position like Manager or something.

Anyway, I''m in favor of now vs later.

happydreams

Shiny_Rock
Get some work experience, life experience and go back. It will be much more meaningful!
emwink.gif

I''m speaking from experience...If you went back now, it would be just a continuation of undergrad. Grad school is supposed to be a completely
mature/different experience. Plus, if you go back now, you risk being one of the younger classmates.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Hmm..I think it depends on the person. For my FI that would have been a bad choice, he really needed to get out and work and get some more real-world experience first if that makes sense. For me...well this is what I want. I want to go to law school now..not later. If I don''t go now, I won''t go back..I can pretty much guarantee that. I look at it as a completely different experience, it''s going to be much more challenging, etc. It does; however, sound like you also potentially have an awesome opportunity that could be really rewarding and give you skills to help you in the future. So, if you know you will go back later and you could go back later, I don''t think you''re necessarily missing out by not going now if that makes sense. Like I said I think it depends a lot on the individual.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Sarah. It depends on what you really and truly want. I graduated in May of ''07 and was lucky enough to land a job almost right out. While the job was not and is not what I want to do, I knew I needed a break from school. I worked for a little over a year before I decided to go back to school. I currently work full time and go to school part time at night.
I don''t regret taking a year off, however, I have heard stories of people who took the break post undergrad and could not find the motivation to go back. I believe if you know you will go back after a break to work, then work for a little. I''m definitely glad I did because I enjoyed the time to not have the responsibility of school. Take some time to not have to write papers, read huge books, and live a little bit of life before you educate yourself further.

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
That depends on a lot of things.. For me, I had to have at least 2 years of exp. after undergrad to get into grad school.. If you have a job lined up and are ok waiting to go back then the break would be nice! I was very glad to have a break from everything.. time to move to a new city, go out, have fun, spend money on whatever.. At the same time, I knew I *had* to go back ASAP because the way I see it is this: In 3 1/2 years (I''m part time) I could still be working at the same job day in and day out or I could have a pretty diploma on my wall with a higher paying/better job.

The years will go by regardless of what you do with them.. so just don''t wait *too* long to go back!

As someone else said, if you go back too early you will be one of the younger classmates. I am one of the youngest in my program.. There were younger ones who started with me but they magically disappeared-but that is major-dependant! I have several friends after college who went straight to grad school-namely pyschology-and they all did very well! I do think it is tough to go back right away though. That is a LOT of schooling with very little time to have a real life without school being your main focus.

Look at what''s going on in your life.. Do you want a break or can you give it another couple years? Jobs are hard to come by these days. Since you have an offer maybe you can take it with the possibility of going part time later so you can also go to grad school.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
I went into a masters program right away. It was easy compared to my undergrad, and I was eager to begin working! Luckily, masters programs are short.

I''d say if you have a job offer you''re excited about, do that. If you''re more excited about school and you''re not too burnt out or in need of money, continue with school.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I would say it depends on two things, (a) whether the job you have lined up is in any way related to the graduate program you seek to enter, and (b) how sure you are about your chosen career path.

If the job is related, then I''d say go for it for one or two years before entering grad school. It will make your experience in school richer, you''ll be a better classmate for your peers, and it will be good for your career.

If it''s not related, then I think the question becomes, how sure are you that this grad program and career are what you want to embark on. If you''re really sure of it, don''t waste your time on a non-related job simply because it''s a break from school. As a LIW, you have marriage in line for you, kids, etc. -- you need to make the most of your career before you have kids, particularly if private practice is your end goal.

If you have any doubt that this program is what you want to do, then I''d say take the job no matter what it entails, get some experience -- relevant to the master''s program or not, it''s helpful either way -- and some perspective, and then make the decision on your career path.

My $0.02.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for getting work experience first. Even if for no other reason than to take a "break" and learn a bit about the outside world (and reinforce that a graduate program is what you want to do).

I went from undergrad straight into a graduate program...and dropped out, because I was so burnt out on school at the time that I was about to have a nervous breakdown. I worked for two years, and am now back in grad school, and it feels perfect now. I don''t feel pressured, I don''t feel like I''m doing this for any reason other than pure desire to be in the program that I''m in, and I feel a bit more, well, grown up. The funny thing is, now I see myself on the path to become an academic, but it was truly my experiences outside of school that pushed me towards this. I feel that, if you''ve got the drive to pursue further education, that won''t go away -- you can always pick it up after giving the working world a go, and you might have a better perspective.

Best of luck to you!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did my first degree and then worked for two years before I went back to do veterinary. I would definitely have preferred to have gone straight through instead of taking the two years out as I would have been finishing up this year instead of in two years time. I really miss working and earning some money and it is hard to go back after you have that for a while.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there Smiles! Everyone will definitely have a differing opinion on this issue and I do think it depends on the person. But for me (I graduated in 2006) it was best to work for two years and then pursue graduate school. I''m about to finish my first year of law school and I have to say, I find there to be a difference in maturity and appreciation between myself and the students who came straight from undergrad. I find myself caring more about learning and understanding rather than focusing on grades. I know better where I want to spend my time and what I''m willing to give up. I think most importantly, what I thought I wanted to make my career when I graduated changed from gathering work experience. So much changes once the undergraduate years are behind you...

Either way, you''ll figure out exactly what the right fit is for you. Good luck!

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
I think it also depends on the length of the program as well as your future goals. As a woman it''s also harder if you want to have kids and not be in school forever! I am in a graduate program that takes about 5-8 years to complete (incl. an MA and PhD) so I knew I wanted to start as soon as possible. I will be in my early 30''s when I am done and I will hopefully want to have kids as soon as I am finished as well. If you end up waiting for your MA and working for a few years, then you might decide you want kids instead and never go back to school! It''s all about priorities and what you really want. In my honest opinion, if you are dedicated to a certain career goal which involves a graduate degree, and you can afford to do it right no, I would 100% do it now and not wait...

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
I think it really depends on both the person and the career you''ve chosen. For example, I''m finishing up undergrad now and I plan on going to grad school right away because for my career there isn''t really any benefit to having work experience (there really isn''t anything I can do without my Masters). I also know for me it would be very difficult to get out of the "school/studying" mindset and work just to have to go back to school in 2 or 3 years and get myself back in that mindset. But for my DH, he needed to have some work experience before applying to grad school so he is working now (and plans to for hopefully 4 or 5 years) and then he would like to go back to grad school.

I think if this job opportunity you have is something that would be great for you then go for it if you know you''ll be able to get yourself back into "school-mode" to go back to grad school in a few years. But if you know you''ll have a difficult time forcing yourself to go back then maybe it''s a better idea to go straight to grad school now. Good luck with whatever you decide!

1.gif

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/5/2009 9:35:40 PM
Author: happydreams
Get some work experience, life experience and go back. It will be much more meaningful!
emwink.gif

I'm speaking from experience...If you went back now, it would be just a continuation of undergrad. Grad school is supposed to be a completely
mature/different experience. Plus, if you go back now, you risk being one of the younger classmates.

I agree! My youngest will be graduating with her BA next spring at the tender age of 20. She, too, wants to go on and get her Masters, and possibly her Doctorate. But, she has realized that at the age of 20, she will have no real work experience or much life experience for that matter, and that she might not be taken seriously. She's pretty much opted to either do a stint in the Military (OCS) or get a job and work for a couple of years before pursuing additional education...

miss_flo

Shiny_Rock
Hey smiles! I would suggest jumping for that great job when you can - at this point in the economic cycle, it''s most important to be able to pay the bills and get by. Grad school is NOT hard to return to, especially if you can find a program that caters to working students and operates at night.

I worked as a journalist for three years after undergrad. This past August I started grad school, and I was laid off from the newspaper in February. I am now attending grad school full time and job hunting like crazy. The reason I suggest jumping for the job is that you''ll appreciate having a reserve of money tucked away for grad school expenses. I hate to say this, but master''s degrees are rapidly becoming a dime a dozen. If you can get that work experience under your belt, AND start grad school on top of that, you''ll be golden. Keep us posted and good luck!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I graduated with my bachelors at the age of 21, ( I worked throughout my bachelors) then went straight in a masters program (courses at night) while I worked. it was hard, but I did both at the same time, which gave me great work experience, but I also took some time off in the middle as I was so burnt out from doing both. Now looking back, that was the right path for me, as I had to work to help pay for my education expense. I''ve been able to earn a good salary for a young person because I had my master at an early age (24) but at the same token I had work experience.... when i used to do many hiring, it was either all school no work, or all work no school. You have to find a balance of the two...

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
so my take is get some work experience as you already have a bachelor, then after a couple of years, go back to grad school, your still young.. My husband is now just finishing up his bachelors at age 28... and will be going to get his master''s so he''s a little behind, but boy does he have work experience so when he''s done, the role will be reversed and I can work less.

bluebell

Shiny_Rock
I had to make a similar decision about getting my MBA after I graduate. I don''t really need it for what I want to do but it would help me in the job market. I decided for me it''s not necessary right now. If I need it later I will get it, but when I think about all the times in my life (a short 21 years) that I feel I learned the most and did the most growing as a person none of them have anything to do with education, so I am all for life experience.

I am also getting really antsy to be done with my undergrad, college isn''t really my thing (although I have a 4.0) I feel like my life is on hold until I graduate, so I would say get some life experience before you get your masters epically since you have a job lined up, who knows you may figure out you want to do something else with your career.

smiles

Shiny_Rock
Hi ladies!
Thank you SO much for your replies!! A few things to add..
Work experience in my field (social work) could potentially enhance the Masters experience. That said I have been working the field during my undergra and will have about 1000 hours of that by the time I graduate.
D&T your post was especially interesting as doing it part-time over 4 years is something I am considering while working F/T. I know many who do it but it still sounds overwhelming. That said I work about 35 hrs a week now while doing my undergrad sooo would it be a huge step??

All your insights are helpful so Thanks!!! I''ll keep you posted!

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't read all of the other responses, so I apologize if I'm echoing others too much.

I worked for two years in between undergrad and grad school. I feel that I *appreciate* grad school a lot more now than I would have coming straight out of undergrad. Coming out of undergrad, school is all you have known your whole life (what is it, like 17 continuous years of schooling by the time you're a college senior?) For me, it was good to do something else for a few years in order to be reminded of what a fantastic *opportunity* and a *privilege* school is, rather than just taking it for granted as the 18th year of the same old thing. Put simply, I gained a respect for education I wouldn't have had if I'd gone straight through (I loved school before, but loving and respecting education are two different things). That respect makes all the difference in how you approach your schoolwork, believe me.

I also don't really buy the "I know I'll never go back to school if I start working" line. If you want to go back to school you'll make it a priority, period. I also don't buy the "it's hard to get back into the school mode" line. First, how do you know until you've tried? And second, every year there are thousands of people who go back to grad school after having worked and they manage to get back into "school mode" just fine. School is kind of like riding a bike- you're not going to forget how to learn. So, don't placate yourself with excuses like these.

Finally, I believe I remember my friend who just finished her MSW saying that a lot of MSW programs *prefer* applicants who have had some work experiences before doing the Masters. So, it's possible you could increase your chances of getting into a good MSW program if you work for a bit first. Good luck with your decision!

inloveinpa

Rough_Rock
Smiles - I agree with the many people who have said that it is important to have work experience after graduating as an undergrad. In my field, it is important to both have experience in the work force as well as continue your education. When I graduated in 2007 with my bachelors, I took 2 years off and worked in my field, and am just starting my masters degree this year. Although it is going to be tough to work full-time and go to school part-time, I am glad that I waited, rather than going straight through (especially after 16 years of non-stop school from age 6 on
32.gif
)! I was burned out so it was great to have the last 2 years as a break to gain work experience, life experience, and decide if I really wanted to pursue my career in my current field and commit to the masters degree. It is really about what you feel is best for you and if you have the mentality to go back. If you set your mind to anything, you will be able to achieve it!

Good luck in your decision!

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
If I had gone to grad school right after UG, I would have gone into a program that I now know would have been a terrible fit, but at the time, I was sure was perfect. Even if you think you know for sure what it is you want to study, I think work experience gives you a new and better perspective. Maybe that is not the case with every program, but I know it''s true of what I wanted to study (liberal arts) and what I plan to study now (law).

smiles

Shiny_Rock
I have spoken to a few friends 2 of whom echoed what most of you said: If you can get the job take it and either apply for part-time school or re-evaluate after a year or two. One thought that if my dream was my Masters then I shouldn''t give that up for my not dream job. Much to think about it. I am going to go call this family friend and learn a little more. You all have great and valuable advice and thoughts.

annadragon

Shiny_Rock
I think this is highly dependent on your field. An example: if you want to work in biological sciences with hope for career autonomy and latitude, then an advanced degree is requisite. I would only encourage working in that industry for a few years to know if that is truly what you want to do. Otherwise no reason to delay.

Other professions, fields of study are made easier if you have experience under your belt. I''m just speculating but a MBA is probably a good example.
Some graduate programs prefer their students to have work experience. It helps them to better relate the concepts they''ll be "mastering" ;-)

If you have a fantastic job lined up, see if they''ll pay your tuition once you''ve gained some seniority. A Masters degree can easily be obtained part-time without sacrificing too much.

However, if you are really gung-ho a Masters can be done in 18 months while you live off your student loan.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2009 5:46:36 PM
Author: smiles
Hi ladies!

Thank you SO much for your replies!! A few things to add..

Work experience in my field (social work) could potentially enhance the Masters experience. That said I have been working the field during my undergra and will have about 1000 hours of that by the time I graduate.

D&T your post was especially interesting as doing it part-time over 4 years is something I am considering while working F/T. I know many who do it but it still sounds overwhelming. That said I work about 35 hrs a week now while doing my undergrad sooo would it be a huge step??

All your insights are helpful so Thanks!!! I''ll keep you posted!

Smiles, I completely understand. While in your master''s for social work (if that''s what you''re going for), you have to do the field work, which is obviously unpaid. A friend of mine works 3 days a week, does his field placement two days a week, and goes to school two nights a week. But working in the social work field definitely gives you a heads up in going back to school. I learned so much working in the field that I was able to apply to my schoolwork. I have over 3300 hours in social work, and boy oh boy, no text could ever teach you what you learn in the field, lol!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that it definitely depends on you, what you want to get out of your graduate school experience, and what your field requires.

I started my first master''s only two years after I finished my BA, so I was only 22. I started my second master''s five years after I finished my BA, so I was 25. I definitely had a different experience as a graduate student at the age of 25 than I did at the age of 22. That little bit of extra life experience really did make an enormous difference for me as a grad student. I adore school, so I always took my education seriously, but by the time I had been working in my field for even a few years I also had a very important foundation of real-life experience to bring to the program, as well.

I would recommend waiting a bit, but that is only because that is what worked best for me. Good luck!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
It depends on the program. I want my MBA and the schools I''m looking at want at least 2-3 years work experience. I also wanted to work to be able to bring real life work experience into my coursework to make it more relatable and meaningful to me.

Other areas of study may be totally different, though, so I''d look at what the schools you''re applying to prefer before making a decision.

inloveinpa

Rough_Rock
I am a social worker as well and I am definitely glad I waited a couple of years until I start my Master of Social Work. Most graduate programs do like to see experience in this field and if you can work at an agency and complete your field hours at your work...that''s a bonus. I am a full-time social worker and will be completing an advanced standing program part-time in 2 years. I will be able to complete all of my field internship hours at my work (although it has to be unrelated to my current position) and still get paid because it will count towards my full-time position...plus my agency will give me tuition reimbursement which is awesome because us social workers need all of the help we can get
41.gif
! If your chosen career is going to be social work, I would get some experience first, see if you truly want to continue on that career path, and then pursue a Master''s degree. If you can pursue the Master''s of Social Work and work at a social service agency, your agency may help you pay for school too!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t read all the other responses, but coming from some who is 30 and still in training, I think taking a year or two off isn''t a bad thing. My year off was for family reasons, but I am still glad I had it. Here are a few things to consider

1) Will you go back rather quickly (1-2 years)? It is hard to go back later after you have started a family and *need* you income. Not impossible, my Mom did it, but it was stressful.

2) Can you go back to the student lifestyle after you have had a real job with a real income?

3) WIll you be motivated to go back? Some people love being a student, and some love working. If you hated school, would it be hard for you go go back.

It sounds like there are benefits to working, and going to grad school. It sounds like to me you are in a good situation no matter what you decide.

Erinleigh

Shiny_Rock
I went straight from undergrad into a master''s program and have recently transferred into doing a PhD... It''s an extra 5-6 years after undergrad (I''m already 2 years in, woohoo!), but I wouldn''t do it any other way. I think it''d be very difficult to go out into the working world, earning real money, then have to give it up to be a poor student again. I say if you know that you''re end goal is to obtain a graduate degree, go for it... there will be bigger and better jobs waiting for you afterward (at least that''s my hope) ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results