shape
carat
color
clarity

Grad school and GRE-- need advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone,
I have been out of school for several years now and want to go back for an advanced degree. The problem is...I am having a hard time balancing studying for the GRE with work and other things in my life. I have spent oodles of money on prep courses and books and am still struggling. Since this is such a supportive environment, I thought I would vent and share my frustration and maybe get advice.

I took the test last September and didn''t like my scores. Since then, I have been studying to retake it. However, things in my life such as changing jobs, deadlines at work etc have pushed off taking the test. I just feel really frustrated right now and --since I have been out of school for several years-- I am worried about being competitive enough for school admissions committees.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
What kind of program are you applying for? And what "tier" schools? Many many graduate programs require the GRE but don't place a lot of weight on it. Only the most competitive programs care a lot about it, and even then if your score is acceptable, but the rest of your application package is fantastic, they'll usually let you in anyway.

I completely understand what you are going though...I hate standardized tests. The best suggestion for most people (and disregard this if this isn't you), is focus on learning the basic math formulas, etc. again. That is where many people lose a lot of points, and if that is you your time will be spent very well re-teaching yourself the basic math. And vice versa if your analytical/word portion was poor but your math portion was fine. It's much easier to raise a lower score than get those last few points in an area that you already are doing well on.

As far as studying you really just need to carve out some time in your schedule to buckle down and do it. Go to a coffee shop or the library where there are no distractions and make an appointment with yourself, it'll be harder to break it if it's in your calendar.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I had to take it in Jan. I found doing the online practice tests heloed me the most. The site I liked best was mygretutor.com because not only did they have practice tests, they explained the logic behind a lot of things. I thought the math part was fine, but the English section was very poorly done and even though I did well, I still think it was terrible.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/8/2008 6:22:42 PM
Author: neatfreak
What kind of program are you applying for? And what ''tier'' schools?

I completely understand what you are going though...I hate standardized tests. The best suggestion for most people (and disregard this if this isn''t you), is focus on learning the basic math formulas, etc. again.
As far as studying you really just need to carve out some time in your schedule to buckle down and do it. Go to a coffee shop or the library where there are no distractions and make an appointment with yourself, it''ll be harder to break it if it''s in your calendar.

Neatfreak,
I am deciding between public policy or public administration (sort of depends on the most recent person I talk to). A year ago, I was sure I wanted to do public health. Then, I switched jobs and realized I would be better off doing something broader in scope, but possibly with a concentration in health.

I am looking at schools in the DC area because that''s where I am from and most of these schools rank in the top 50 (which is good, but stressful).

Math is exactly where I am having the most difficulty. The writing part intimidates me too because I am not a fast writer or have a loquacious writing style--I am more of a to the point person.

Thanks for your study suggestions. I have to work on finding time for myself, yet, that is more difficult than I thought.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/8/2008 8:08:10 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy
I had to take it in Jan. I found doing the online practice tests heloed me the most. The site I liked best was mygretutor.com because not only did they have practice tests, they explained the logic behind a lot of things. I thought the math part was fine, but the English section was very poorly done and even though I did well, I still think it was terrible.
BIH,
I''ve heard of mygretutor.com --- thanks for telling me more about your experience with it (PSers are founts of information!). Can you clarify something? Why was the verbal material on mygretutor not as strong as the math?

If you have any other suggestions about other good online sources or studying, I am all ears. This is good information!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm in policy Anita! Actually, health policy to be exact (working on a PhD now). What a coincidence. So I can advise you well having just done the graduate school application thing myself a few years ago. And I can also give you advice on policy vs. administration if you tell me what you think you'd like to do with your degree.

I'll tell you a few things about some schools in DC:

1. With the right application package you can get into American even if your GRE scores aren't great. And getting in isn't terribly hard IMO.

2. Georgetown will require better scores, but still they don't need to be amazing.

3. You don't want to go to JH if your math skills aren't strong, they are very strong quantitatively especially in health, so unless you are willing to dedicate a lot of time to it, you might find yourself in over your head quickly.

What other schools are you considering?

ETA: The writing portion is actually pretty easy. Just learn the format. And really, getting to the point, while explaining your reasoning, is usually the best way to get a good score on the writing. Loquacious writing usually won't get you a good score.
2.gif

DMBgal82

Rough_Rock
My graduate program had a minimum score to get accepted, but they also accepted students conditionally, though they definitely didn''t advertise it. If you had above a 3.0 after one semester, you were taken off the conditional list. There were quite a few students in my program that did this, I later found out! Weight was more heavily placed on an essay and an interview than the GRE score itself for admission.

I sure did hate studying for the GRE, I definitely feel your pain. About a week before the test, I got burnt out and gave up, but did alright anyway!

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Neatfreak--
Talk about coincidence! This is great. I have a whole bunch of questions for you! I can''t write a lot right now, but the schools you listed are ones I looking at in addition to U of Maryland, CB and GW. However, with JHU, I was looking at their public policy program at the Institute for Policy Studies. I am also trying to figure out if I want to go part-time or full-time. Neatfreak, are you in the DC area? I will write more later, promise. I am so glad I posted on PS
1.gif

DMBgal82--
Thanks for telling me about conditional acceptance. It is good to know that schools are willing to look beyond GRE scores. Man, I don''t want to feel conquered by the GRE which is I still want to take. I want to do one more time, do better than the last time and move on. I know scores don''t make a person, but shoot...it sure is frustrating when you think about the impression this numbers can make on an application.

Ultimately, my goal is to find a program compatible with my interests and that I will find fulfilling.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2008 9:43:32 AM
Author: AnitaT
Neatfreak--

Talk about coincidence! This is great. I have a whole bunch of questions for you! I can't write a lot right now, but the schools you listed are ones I looking at in addition to U of Maryland, CB and GW. However, with JHU, I was looking at their public policy program at the Institute for Policy Studies. I am also trying to figure out if I want to go part-time or full-time. Neatfreak, are you in the DC area? I will write more later, promise. I am so glad I posted on PS
1.gif

No worries. I wish I was in the DC area. I do find myself out there often for conferences, but none in the immediate future. Out of all my choices I ended up picking the La Follette School at the University of Wisconsin, so I'm here! But I would be happy to answer any questions you'd like.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
ugh, the GRE.

if possible, you should meet with the department graduate advisor/admissions officer at each school you are really interested in. that way, you don''t have to guess and you can just ask them what scores they accept and how much weight is placed on it. that''ll probably relieve a lot of stress and you might find out out that you really don''t have to improve all that much to have a great chance of getting in.

when i was taking the GRE and applying to grad schools a yearish ago, i only took it once. When i didn''t think that i was going to get into my first choice school, i went and visted my second choice to ask some questions, including what i needed to get on the GRE to be considered (neatfreak- it was madison!). They told me that i shouldn''t even bother retaking it because the score was ''plenty good enough'' and they didn''t weight it very much. so even if the school is competitive (the 2nd choice was ranked #1 for my field), you might have nothing to worry about!

one hint that i did get was to spend time reading scholarly articles, etc instead of trying to memorize vocab for the verbal portion. good luck!

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
NF,
The last couple of days have been crazy, but I am interested in continuing this discussion.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Neatfreak,
I have finally gotten the chance to sit down and write you back. See you below.

I''m in policy Anita! Actually, health policy to be exact (working on a PhD now). What a coincidence. So I can advise you well having just done the graduate school application thing myself a few years ago. And I can also give you advice on policy vs. administration if you tell me what you think you''d like to do with your degree.
I want to either continue to work on federal issues like I do now (I work for the government...like every other person in DC
2.gif
) or go into the philanthropy field. I think I would enjoy foundation work. Those are my two general ideas right now.

How would you define the difference between public policy and public administration? I want to make sure that wherever I end up that I have a fulfilling experience. The other day, I met someone who went back to school after working for a few years and he said his program was boring! I felt sort of sad for him.

I am grateful you wrote about some of the schools in the area because I am really interested in understanding what makes them stand out from each other. All of the stuff I have read on their websites or literature mention the same things: great professors, excellent curriculum, beautiful campus, etc. But, no one is going to say "our professors are great researchers, but lousy teachers." Boy, wouldn''t that make things easier! LOL!

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am also trying to figure out if I want to go full-time or part-time. On one hand, I have gotten used to getting a paycheck and it would make paying for things much easier.
4.gif
On the other hand, my schedule can be unpredictable with long hours and I worry about compromising the quality of my work or education.

1. With the right application package you can get into American even if your GRE scores aren''t great. And getting in isn''t terribly hard IMO.
Tell me more about American. I have only recently started to research the school.

What other schools are you considering?

George Washington: I have talked to a couple of current students and they have been pleased with their experienc

U of Maryland, College Park: well-ranked program in policy and has the benefit of in-state tutition for me. Though, its website could do a better job of talking about their program

Johns Hopkins for Public Policy (Baltimore): I have talked to a couple of students and the program coordinator. I like the program''s mix of quantitive and qualitative research (in my opinion, qualitative doesn''t get enough credit)

Georgetown: Amazing professors, but I am worried about the quant stuff.

George Mason: Don''t know very much about their programs. However, a friend is going there and has liked it.

ETA: The writing portion is actually pretty easy. Just learn the format.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
bump

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anita, I'm glad you bumped this. I'll have to write more later but the basic difference in Public Policy/Affairs and Public Administration is what you want to do with it. USUALLY, PA programs are for management. People get these degrees who want to go into public management. PP or P Affairs is usually the more quantitative research focused degree. So if you want to do research, work for a place like the GAO, do policy analysis for a government agency, etc. you want PP. That should at least get you started focusing down on schools...

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Neatfreak,
Thanks for the description. The public administration degree sounds more practical. However, the public policy degree sounds more issues-based and, in turn, more interesting. I wonder if that is a fair assessment?

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
If anyone else has tips or thoughts, I would appreciate hearing them.
35.gif

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
bump
35.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2008 2:12:01 PM
Author: AnitaT
Neatfreak,

Thanks for the description. The public administration degree sounds more practical. However, the public policy degree sounds more issues-based and, in turn, more interesting. I wonder if that is a fair assessment?

I don''t think that the administration degree is more practical per se, it just really really depends on what you want to do with it when you are out. If you don''t know yet, you need to do some soul searching to figure it out because they really are completely different degrees with very different career paths.

Where do you see yourself in 5, 10 years with this degree?

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/16/2008 3:32:20 PM
Author: neatfreak

I don''t think that the administration degree is more practical per se, it just really really depends on what you want to do with it when you are out. If you don''t know yet, you need to do some soul searching to figure it out because they really are completely different degrees with very different career paths.
I have taken your advice to heart and am doing some thinking about these degrees. I found this website and it has some good information: http://www.publicservicecareers.org .

they really are completely different degrees with very different career paths.
Could you elaborate a little more on this part. I want to make sure that I understand the difference between the two.

Where do you see yourself in 5, 10 years with this degree?
Goodness, right now, I am so exhausted with thinking and stressing about school and the GRE that is hard to focus on what I want to do with an advanced degree. I enjoy the work I am doing now, but it is somewhat specific. People usually go into lobbying afterwards or stay in the federal government. I am pretty sure that I will always want to do something in the public sector. However, I know that in order to advance professionally and for salary purposes, I will need an advanced degree.

I have been looking at program curriculums and I find myself interested in courses from each program (don''t worry there are courses that don''t interest me either
2.gif
)

Thanks for all your help Neatfreak. You have been super helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results