shape
carat
color
clarity

got the ring- what should I do?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

samkongado

Rough_Rock
Well, I''m in a slight dilemna here so maybe I could get some friendly advice... I guess I sort of put this on myself by choosing the diamond without her opinion. But anyway...

So I got the ring from WF today, and the diamond and ring are both very nice. However, while I thought I knew my gf''s ring size, I was off and it is too big (I know this because it fit loosely on my finger where her other rings fit snug). Soooo... I know I need a smaller size ring, not a big deal right? Just go down to the local jeweler and pay $20 to have them resize it. The only problem is, that I have a small doubt in the back of my head that the diamond I chose might be slightly too big for her (that''s the problem shopping online, you can''t really judge till it''s in your hands). I got a .735, and I know she doesn''t want it to be very big. Since I got the sleek lines solitaire, it makes it look even a little bigger. Not HUGE, but potentially a little bigger than she might prefer. But maybe not...

So, when I propose obviously I want the ring to fit so she can start wearing it and showing her friends, etc. But if I resize the ring then I have messed with the original specs and wouldn''t be able to return it to WF if the diamond is too big (without paying a hefty 20% fee or something like that).

So what should I do??? Should I resize the ring and hope she likes the diamond? Should I send it back to WF and go with a slightly smaller diamond to be safe? AHHHHH!!!! And I was hoping to propose next week!!! No time, no time at all!!!

Help me (Obi-Wan) Pricescope, you''re my only hope!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2006 4:45:04 PM
Author:samkongado
Well, I''m in a slight dilemna here so maybe I could get some friendly advice... I guess I sort of put this on myself by choosing the diamond without her opinion. But anyway...

So I got the ring from WF today, and the diamond and ring are both very nice. However, while I thought I knew my gf''s ring size, I was off and it is too big (I know this because it fit loosely on my finger where her other rings fit snug). Soooo... I know I need a smaller size ring, not a big deal right? Just go down to the local jeweler and pay $20 to have them resize it. The only problem is, that I have a small doubt in the back of my head that the diamond I chose might be slightly too big for her (that''s the problem shopping online, you can''t really judge till it''s in your hands). I got a .735, and I know she doesn''t want it to be very big. Since I got the sleek lines solitaire, it makes it look even a little bigger. Not HUGE, but potentially a little bigger than she might prefer. But maybe not...

So, when I propose obviously I want the ring to fit so she can start wearing it and showing her friends, etc. But if I resize the ring then I have messed with the original specs and wouldn''t be able to return it to WF if the diamond is too big (without paying a hefty 20% fee or something like that).

So what should I do??? Should I resize the ring and hope she likes the diamond? Should I send it back to WF and go with a slightly smaller diamond to be safe? AHHHHH!!!! And I was hoping to propose next week!!! No time, no time at all!!!

Help me (Obi-Wan) Pricescope, you''re my only hope!
Darlin'', leave it be. All you have done is allow for the dreaded shrinkage factor.
2.gif
It''s all good. Get her exact size and have WF do the resize so that the warranty is not voided, and leave that diamond alone.
9.gif

shay

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol....''help me obi wan''...
that cracked me up!

sam...she is going to be happy with the size. trust me. will she be surprised and say ''oh it''s too big! you shouldn''t have!'' yes, she will. but there is no doubt in my mind that as she wears the ring (get that baby sized!) more and more she will become very used to it and it will be perfect. guaranteed.

keep it. get it sized.

remember though, if you are not certain on the size, a little too big is better than a little too small! she will want to at least put it on!

samkongado

Rough_Rock
So do you think that I should just go into a local jewelery store, or actually send it back to WF? It would be much more expensive to send it back to WF, plus time consuming and I probably wouldn't get to propose next week either. But... then the warranty on the setting would still be in place (although how important really is the warranty on the setting?).

Maybe should I propse without resizing anything, and then just make sure she likes it and have her go "ringless" for that first weekend? I can't imagine she'd be too pleased about that though!

I wish I would have gotten the right size ring to start with!!!!!!
29.gif
29.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you have a good local jeweler, i would take it there. is the setting platinum or gold?

jimhwu

Rough_Rock
why not just propose with it next week... this way you'll see how the ring fits. You'll also see if she likes the size of the diamond. Based on her reactions, send the ring back to Whiteflash and do either:

1. Just resize
36.gif

2. Resize and change stone to a smaller size (don't see why she would really do this though!
23.gif
-> Save more money!)

You do have 10 days to decide with WF's return policy, right?

Jim

samkongado

Rough_Rock
It's a platinum setting.

The reason why I'm hesitant to propose "as is" is that I would hate to propose, her love the ring but it's too big, and then have to have it sent somewhere for a week to resize. She would have to tell all her friends "oh I'm engaged now but I don't have my ring yet."

Isn't that considered a felony to do to a newly engaged girl?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Here is the thing you want it to be the perfect size and she may want to try it with other bands so it will still be comfortable when she adds her wedding band. Also if you do anything to that ring (tighten prongs size....whatever) it voids the warranty. You need to decide if that is all right with you.

jimhwu

Rough_Rock
Well, a lot of my friends that bought rings without actually shopping with their fiances usually end up having the ring resized afterwards because they were a little off on the size. Happens all the time. I think she will be so happy with the engagement itself that one week without the ring is not going to be that bad. Just one guy''s opinion though!

Jim

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2006 5:21:23 PM
Author: samkongado

Maybe should I propose without resizing anything, and then just make sure she likes it and have her go ''ringless'' for that first weekend?

Sounds good to me, because... what if your guess about the ring size is not dead on? The best way to know is to try the ring on the right finger (i.e. the wearer''s). I don''t think that it would be a big problem to have it resized asap - locally it may even be done the same day, and it sounds like the size difference may not be too big for the ring to be enjoyed properly for the occasion. It isn''t like it would be 3-4 sizes off so it falls right off the finger etc.

Don''t worry. It sounds like you did good about the ring, and nothing is left to do about it before the big day
32.gif

Good luck with the proposal - that''s the important part right now
1.gif

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
sam......brotha, don''t worry about the size of the diamond. i''m a guy, and, i most assuredly promise you that she''s gonna dig the size. yeah, she may worry about the cost of the size, my girl sure did...but, this diamond is what you want her to wear....the cost is somethin'' you''ve considered. so, if she brings that up after you''ve presented that baby to her....just reassure her that the cost is somethin'' she doesn''t need to worry about.....all she has to do love you and the diamond you''ve chosen to give to her! as far as the sizing goes, well, others have suggested well....but, if you''re concerned about time frame of your proposal....instead of resizing right now, and, still, you may not get the size correct....put the ring on her left finger when you propose....but, after that''s done....maybe she can move the ring to the middle finger? it should be slightly larger? anyhow, g''luck sam.......you''ll do fine!

the ''hog.....

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sam, propose to her with the ring, as is. That is a nice size diamond and I''m pretty darn sure she''ll love the size. If the ring is too big, have it sized at a competent local jeweler - shouldn''t take much time at all. Everybody''s happy.

samkongado

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the advice! I called a few local places, and the price quotes I got for re-sizing were anywhere from $18-75. Why the large range? The cheapest one was actually a store I''ve heard good things about and have been around for a while. WF mentioned that if I have it resized locally and they chip the diamond or screw it up somehow there is no money back. What are the chances of a local store damaging the diamond?

On a slightly separate note, how do you post pictures? Do I have to upload the files to a website first and then do the whole thing? I don''t have any website to load the files to, and I''d like to post photos of the ring but can''t!

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
i agree with the general consensus.
propose with the ring as is.
go to a local jeweler and find out what size it needs to be
send the ring back to WF and have them fix the size

your girl is gonna be fine.

she''ll tell everyone the truth - she''s engaged and the ring is being sized and she can show it off when she gets it back - it''s only a few days.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results