shape
carat
color
clarity

Got the Ring! Can''''''''t take any good pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

schowtyme

Rough_Rock
I got the ring today and it is gorgeous! So sparkly! I was having second thoughts about the ACA H&A after reading some of the Solasfera threads but I would have only been able to afford a .8 carat or so, and after seeing how "busy" mine is I think Solasfera would have been too much for that size.

Here is a link to my diamond.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2173443.htm

I put it in a simple white gold 6 prong tiffany setting because I figured we can always pick out a new setting together and wanted to get the best diamond I could afford.

So anyway, I wanted to take some pictures and they all come out blurry or as one big sparkle... I tried every setting on my 5 megapixel Canon camera, which usually takes great pictures, and I can''t get anything. Any suggestions?

Also, I was a little dissapointed by the "appraisal" that I got. All it has is the color, clarity, size, estimated dimensions, and estimated replacement value. I only paid $75 for it because WF already pays a little to the appraiser they employ, but I thought I''d atleast get angles or something. I didn''t figure they would use a B scope but it might have been nice. I called about it and they said they forgot to include the pictures but that was all that was missing. What does one usually get from an appraisal? Atleast this should be enough for insurance.

Other than the appraisal I am really happy with Whiteflash and my diamond. Now I just have to work out how to get the ring to San Francisco without her knowing (should I check it or carry it on and risk her seeing it if they search my bag?).

Thanks again for all the help on this forum and sorry about the long post, I''m just excited!
9.gif

vadim_s

Rough_Rock
Congrats on the purchase!!! I would say PICS PICS PICS, but looks like you will need some help taking them. My advice is broken into steps below:

1. Tripod, some other camera mount, like books, boxes and tape holding the camera down (no joke), or a VERY VERY steady hand.
2. Macro mode = ON, and NO zoom. Camera should be at most 3 inches away from the diamond.
3. Priority mode. Or, apperture mode, with F-stop at its smallest value 2.0 - 2.2 (fully open). Use "P" or "A" on your camera, no messing with your shutter timing, let the camera do the work.
4. ISO 100-200, no need for any higher. Might as well use ISO = Auto
5. Focus = Auto
6. Flash = OFF.
7. Good light source in the room that has no reflection on the diamond. If you have a halogen light turn it up and point it away, go to the other sizd of the room where there will be no reflection on the diamond.
8. Point the camera straight on, stabilize/FIX the ring in the desired position and make sure when you press the button the camera stays fully motionless.

With a little practice your pictures should look just like mine: https://www.pricescope.com/forum/steam-room/just-purchased-an-upgrade-pictures-included-t37531.html

Post here for more help,
Vadim

PS Maybe I should offer a picture service for those in DC, MD, VA area, sparkly diamonds ROCK!!!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I''m no expert, and my pictures are not the best on this site, but they are passable. I have the same (or very similar) camera as you and I have NO luck taking photos 3 inches away. I do much better to put the camera a foot or two away (resting it on a table or other steady surface), use zoom, and then use the crop. since you have 5 megapixels you can do a lot of cropping!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you using the macro mode??? Can''t wait to see the pics.
1.gif

vadim_s

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/28/2005 12:05:17 AM
Author: gailrmv
I''m no expert, and my pictures are not the best on this site, but they are passable. I have the same (or very similar) camera as you and I have NO luck taking photos 3 inches away. I do much better to put the camera a foot or two away (resting it on a table or other steady surface), use zoom, and then use the crop. since you have 5 megapixels you can do a lot of cropping!
There are many ways in taking a good picture. If you have a tripod and fix your camera on it, you will solve half your troubles. Your setup could be camera on a tripod looking down on a table where the ring is sitting up up-right, or camera on a tripod looking forward at the table where the ring is laying flat on any surface, prefferebly not too reflective.

Note: When I outlined my steps, you cannot just follow one. If you chose to take my advice, you need to follow ALL the steps.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results