shape
carat
color
clarity

Got the diamond today, but....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AgentRHE

Rough_Rock

My Diamond arrived this morning. Thanks to everybody for all their help! Here''s the stats!

Lab: GIA
Carat weight: 0.56
Cut: Ideal
Color: E
Clarity: VS1
Depth %: 62.0%
Table %: 54%
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Medium, faceted
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 5.29x5.33x3.29 mm
33.9 Crown Angle, 40.8 Paviliion.
HCA:
Light Return: Excellent
Fire: Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread: Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.1 - Excellent
within TIC range

All in all... it looks great. Completely eye-clean, and I stared at it from about 4 inches under bright lights for a while, but...

Looking at the GIA report, there are a couple of small feathers near the edges. All are pink, which I believe means they haven''t reached the surface, but on the report they go right to the edge.

I''ve attached a copy of the GIA plot from the website, and you can see how I missed them when looking online. They''re pretty tiny. On the table view, there''s two on the top right, and on the pavillion view there''s one right at the 3 o''clock position.

I plan on having it appraised in the next week or so (I have 30 days), but I wanted to know if, right off the bat, this is something I should be concerned with?

Anybody have any thoughts?

D-Plot.jpg

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
With a VS1 rating, the inclusions will be small. Remember grading is done at 10X.

The feather shows on the pavillion graph but not the crown graph. Could be the feather lies below the girdle in the diamond. Something you should address with your appraiser to be sure there are no potential risks and set your mind at ease. Being completely happy with your selection includes your mental comfort as well.
1.gif

AgentRHE

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/9/2005 2:52:12 PM
Author: pqcollectibles
With a VS1 rating, the inclusions will be small. Remember grading is done at 10X.

The feather shows on the pavillion graph but not the crown graph. Could be the feather lies below the girdle in the diamond. Something you should address with your appraiser to be sure there are no potential risks and set your mind at ease. Being completely happy with your selection includes your mental comfort as well.
1.gif
Thanks! I''ll definitly ask the appraiser about them. I hope they''re no biggie... I like the stone, and it''s already gotten an "OOOOOOH!" from a female buddy.

To respond to your post, it actually looks like there are three feathers. The "big" one you''re talking about on the pavillion graph doesn''t go to the edge, but there are two additional ones on the crown side. Top right, at 1 and 2-ish, and they do go to the edge. Like I said, both REALLY tiny, they actually look like pinpoints on this pic, but they clearly have some length to them when you view the actual GIA report.

Still, I''ve done a little digging around on the site, and it looks like with a VS1, I really shouldn''t be too concerned, right?

Cath

Shiny_Rock
Agent, are you sure the two dots you''re seeing on the crown side aren''t pinpoints instead of feathers? Note how your GIA cert has a legend with "crystal, feather, pinpoint" listed on it. You have to have at least one of each on your diamond or else it wouldn''t be on the legend. It looks to me like the pinpoints would be the two dots on the crown side, and the only feather is what''s indicated on the pavilion side.

AgentRHE

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/9/2005 3:11
6.gif
3 PM
Author: Cath
Agent, are you sure the two dots you're seeing on the crown side aren't pinpoints instead of feathers? Note how your GIA cert has a legend with 'crystal, feather, pinpoint' listed on it. You have to have at least one of each on your diamond or else it wouldn't be on the legend. It looks to me like the pinpoints would be the two dots on the crown side, and the only feather is what's indicated on the pavilion side.
Trust me, it's not a very good scan.

There's actually a pinpoint on the pavillion side underneath the feather that doesn't show up really well here. In terms of the feathers on the crown side, they appear on the plot as short, pink, straight lines going right to the edge. Length-wise, they're about half as long as the crystal under the table.

Like I said.. TINY
2.gif
Which is why I'm hoping they're not a big deal. (Of course, if they don't even show up when you scan the report, then they probably aren't huh?
1.gif
)

Does anyone know if pinpoint are ever documented as short, straight lines? Or maybe they're crystals that aren't really wide? Would a feather really be perfectly straight?

Cath

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/9/2005 3:18:44 PM
Author: AgentRHE
Trust me, it''s not a very good scan.

There''s actually a pinpoint on the pavillion side underneath the feather that doesn''t show up really well here.
Well, you''re definitely right about the scan -- what you''re saying is the pinpoint I thought was a speck of dust from the scanner or something, LOL!

AgentRHE

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/9/2005 3:29
6.gif
7 PM
Author: Cath
Well, you''re definitely right about the scan -- what you''re saying is the pinpoint I thought was a speck of dust from the scanner or something, LOL!
1.gif
Further proof that none of these things are a big deal! (He hopes.) Actually, although NiceIce wasn''t the vendor, they have a good section on inclusions, and they state that if a small edge feather isn''t visible on both the crown and pavillion graphs, then it''s probably not a big deal. So that''s promising.

I''m probably just freaking myself out here. I''m just hoping that everything is perfect so I can get on with the proposal.
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck with the appraisal, sounds like a beautiful stone. Hope you get to propose soon!!
36.gif

AgentRHE

Rough_Rock
Getting the appraisal done tomorrow morning, with one of the appraisers recommended here. I'll post the results when I get 'em... but do any of the experts have any last minute opinions on incredibly small feathers that break the surface in a VS1?

Thanks again everybody!

AgentRHE

Rough_Rock
Bump. See directly above. Small feathers, VS1, etc etc.
2.gif

AgentRHE

Rough_Rock
Had the ring appraised this weekend, and it went great!

For anyone who''s still curious, the appraiser (who''s one of the recommended people on this site) said that REALLY small feathers like this aren''t at all an issue, even if they reach the girdle. We blew it up to 40X magnification, and they were still tiny. She said they were so insignificant that she didn''t even see the point in trying to cover them up with prongs.

So, looks like I''m keeping it. Thanks to everybody who replied to my posts, and also to everyone involved with the site. I would not have been able to do this without you people, and you made a process I was dreading actually feel kind of fun.

Good luck with all your future purchases!

-Robert

Cath

Shiny_Rock
Agent, glad to hear the appraisal went smoothly! So when''s the proposal? You have to show us hand pics of this bad boy when all is said and done...

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
WooooHooooo, Agent!!
36.gif
Many Congrats on your purchase and your appraisal!!
9.gif

Nothing like the opinion of an expert to put your mind at ease.
2.gif

AgentRHE

Rough_Rock
And she said yes!

Surprised her with a trip to Napa Valley this weekend, and asked her at this winery that we both really love.

Again, thanks to everybody for all their help and advice! Were you not here, she''d be wearing a yellow, 1/3 carat piece of crap from Robbins Brothers instead of the ring I got with the info I learned from this site. And I should point out that she quickly observed that it sparkles more than any diamond she''s ever seen!

Thanks!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
congratulations!!!
36.gif
you do know that you have to post some pics right!?
9.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!! I''m so glad she loved the ring and said yes! What winery did you propose at? We were in Sonoma Valley this weekend for the Olive Festival.
10.gif

AgentRHE

Rough_Rock
V. Sattui. We''ve been going there for quite a while, and they have a really picturesque picnic area. We try to have a picnic there once a year, so it seemed like a good place.

And judging by her reaction, apparently it was.
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh congratulations on your engagement!! Sounds like a beautiful place to pop the question. Can''t wait to see the ring and also the mandatory hand shots!!! Enjoy this special time in your life and best wishes to you both!!!
36.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay...what a great place to pop the question!!!...V. Sattui is where we always go for a picnic lunch when we''re in Napa doing some wine tasting. What a fabulous choice. Congrats again!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
aww, well done! congrats and best wishes... and don''t forget pics!
3.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement and way to go on educating yourself so that you could get her a great stone! She is right, her ring DOES sparkle more than most out there.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results