shape
carat
color
clarity

got my PGS "cert" for mounted ring. Question!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

motifone

Rough_Rock
hi all

well, I bought a princess cut solitare ring from Robbins Brothers. The ring came with a PGS "Carte Blu" cert. Reading the forum, PGS seems to have a decent reputation. My only question is... compared to other certs I have seen... this one that came with the ring I purchased is pretty abbreviated in its information. For an example for what my cert looks like and how much information the cert provides, please see here:

http://www.progem.com/newappraisals.html

You will see a colored picture to the right. The cert comes with a picture of the mounted ring and lists characteristics for "measuring", "substantiated weight", "proportions & finish", "estimated color grade", and "apparent clarity grade." I''m assuming that this cert is fairly brief because the diamond is already mounted (this is implied elsewhere on the PGS website and that their "Carte Blu" cert is the grading report used for mounted jewlery.) Color and clarity are approximated because the stone is in the mount. Neverthless, I would suspect the numbers are fairly accurate, since PGS and owner Thomas Tashey seem to have a reputation for accurate grading.

So, my question is... is such an abbreviated cert common for mounted stones?

I''m happy with the stone. Sparkles nice. I know certain folks aren''t too fond of Robbins Brothers ;-), but I approached the sale from an educated perspective. Got them to bring down the cost of the diamond. If interested, here''s the rating on the cert:

Measuring: 5.4 x 5.35 x 3.05 mm
Substantiated Weight: 0.77ct
Proportions & Finish: Good
Estimated Color Grade: H - I
Apparent Clarity Grade: VS1
White gold 14k ring

Diamond, price paid(after reductions) = $2,257
14k White Gold ring cost = $115

thanks for any input all :)

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi,

While you will always have better information from a grading report on a ''loose'' diamond, I feel the PGS lab will do as good a job as any and better than most of the others that do this type of report (mounted gemstones)

I feel comfortable endorsing the PGS lab to my customers.

So IMO, don''t worry, for the type of report you have, PGS is among the best.

motifone

Rough_Rock
thanks for the comforting words!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results