shape
carat
color
clarity

Got my first pad... Maybe

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
I lucked into a lovely little sapphire gem that I think may just be a padparadscha (or I may be totally wrong). I bought it from a gentleman I know who has collected gems for years (gave his grandkids good sized loose Columbian emeralds for Christmas because he didn't know what to get them, lol). It's approx. 9mm x 7mm x 5.75mm. Whether it is a pad or not, I'm pretty in love with the color. It's 3.17cts. I'm sending it to AGL next week. It's a native cut and there's a bit of light leakage/windowing and some extinction at the edges near the center but it still has quite a bit of life to it. If it comes back pad, I may have it recut. Not sure what I'll do with it yet, but here she is...

20170126_172322.jpg

20170126_171515.jpg

img_20170126_171803137.jpg

img_20170126_171427232.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is beautiful! I would love it even if it doesn't come back as a pad, but it sure looks like one! Your pics make it look like a great salmony mix of orange and pink - if there is no brown (and it sure doesn't look like it has brown), then it should come back as a padparadscha. Lovely!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The AGL will tell, of course. I have one certified padparacha and have looked at it many times. I also recently saw several at a local show. I have the same feeling when I look at your stone... it looks like a padparacha, and a gorgeous one at this. And the orange component in it is absolutely mesmerizing. What a beauty! Good luck with the certification.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is really pretty :dance: . I think it is an absolutely gorgeous stone, regardless of whether it is a pad or not.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pads have been on my dream list for a while. It surely looks like one to me, but no matter what, the color is gorgeous!

Such a color-mix! It must be padparadscha, and if not it should be, or get its own name. What does it matter? It sure looks like a sunset.

lexilex

Rough_Rock
Trade
I see padpas everyday, and this one looks like a very vibrant one.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't come back as a padpa. But then again, with pictures it can be very tricky to tell for sure.

It may be an "Umba" or "African padparadscha".

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm crazy in love with that color. It has the perfect blend of orange to pink. :love:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_71125|1485540986|4120706 said:
I'm crazy in love with that color. It has the perfect blend of orange to pink. :love:

Absolutely agree!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Gorgeous color. It looks like pad. I hope so.

Annette

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! :love:

None of my business and I'm not being tacky enough to ask what you paid, but I'm curious about the transaction.
It sounds like you both would know the going rate for a true pad, yet it was sold with no lab report at all.

How can that be?
Weren't you and he both worried the price will turn out to be way low or high after the AGL report comes back?
Did you discuss the possibility it's a true pad and what that would make it worth.
Did he tell/assure you it's a real pad?
Did he say he has no idea of it's identity and origin, natural/lab untreated/treated?
How did you arrive at a price?
Was he somehow totally clueless and sold it for a pittance?

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Thanks the juicy color love :) Minousbijoux, Arkteia, Qubitasaurus, Chatoyancy, Normaninthesky, Lexilex, Elle, Smitcompton and Kenny.

While it doesn't show any brown, in some light it is decidedly more orange.
As for the transaction, while I'm not comfortable sharing what I paid, I will say this... He knows I'm sending it for a report and if it doesn't come back as natural, back it goes. If it doesn't come back as pad, I'm so in love with the color I will likely keep it anyhow. I did get a very fair price on it but that is for two main reasons. It is heat treated, and there is also a small chip in the pavilion near the culet (which can't be seen when face up) That said, based on issues with the quality of the cutting, I knew I would want it recut. Since it goes back if the report is bad, I'm not too worried.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Please don't recut it! It's such a beautiful color, recut might change it!
Pad sapphire almost always comes with a window because the material is rare. Especially the really beautiful colors like yours.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree, please don't recut it! The color is wonderful and a recut may affect the color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results