shape
carat
color
clarity

Good price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snowc

Rough_Rock
I recently posted about a situation with an aqua ering.. well now I wanted your opinions again on if my new ering is a good deal or not. It is being custom made...

the specs are:
Band- white gold with 10 prong set diamonds equaling .33 ct., they are beautiful diamonds flawless and D on the color chart
Main stone- 2ct./8+mm AAA rated aquamarine, loupe clean

I am paying 750 for the ring to be custom made... is this a fair price? Also, this is going to be almost an exact match to a tiffany setting...

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Hi snowc, does the price include the aqua? In theory, $750 is quite reasonable, but it all depends on the workmanship. It's not a good deal if the ring is poorly made, or if the design element isn't what you want (too chunky, etc). Also, have you seen the aqua yet? I'd definitely want to see the loose stone before they set it. A triple "A" is a kind of loose rating, I think, and probably refers mostly to clarity. You'll want to approve of the color (some aquas have a lot of grey) as well as the cut (don't want a big window!).

snowc

Rough_Rock
I picked out all aspects of the ring! I hand picked the aqua through like 100 of them.. it is a beautiful blue, no windows, no grey!.. and is also included in the price. the workmanship is absolutely amazing... It isn''t too chunky.. it is what I wanted exactly from the beginning...

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, if it''s as perfect as you describe, then $750 sounds more than fair . . . it sounds like a deal!

snowc

Rough_Rock
The place that I''m getting it is a small shop, where the owner takes a lot of pride in his work... he also heard of the dilemma with my first ring.. turned out to be not so good.. the stone loosened up and then diamonds fell out then the band snapped, i think he was a little sympathetic...

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Well, ditto fiery. If you love all aspects of the ring, then it''s a great deal. Please post pics when it''s finished - I''d love to see it!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/28/2009 11:24:05 PM
Author: fierypyropixy
Wow, if it''s as perfect as you describe, then $750 sounds more than fair . . . it sounds like a deal!
+1

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like a deal, I can't wait to see how it turns out!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a really good deal!

If you take into account that any American jeweller would charge setting for every single one of the diamonds separately (and much more so than those in China or India, of course), not to mention everything else being hand-made, it''s not too much at all.

snowc

Rough_Rock
I am glad to hear that I''m getting a good deal! I don''t think I''ve ever been so anxious in my whole life... well maybe when I went to Disney last year! The jeweler who is making my ring said that it would be 14 days at the most, that was wednesday! 11 days and counting!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot comment on the price accurately because there are too many unknowns:
1. Weight of gold
2. Quality of craftsmanship
3. Not enough information on the aquamarine. The terms A, AA and AAA are not based on any acceptable standards. These are arbitrary ratings set by any jeweller. I presume the aquamarine is heated because it is commonly done and acceptable.

snowc

Rough_Rock
it is 14 kt white gold... I believe the quality is remarkable.. i have seen and felt his jewelry.. he is also located in a very pristine location, a very ritzy area, where if he did not produce quality jewelry then he would not be in business... and he has been there for 20+ years... i''m not sure what more information i can give you on the aqua, but it is a very saturated color with no inclusions in it.. I personally looked at it through a lupe and saw nothing, as with my fiance.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aquamarines are typically very clean stones, so you will be hard pressed to find any inclusions. In almost all gemstones, colour is what sets the price not clarity (to a certain extent). Also, eye clean is acceptable in the gemstone trade – rarely are they purchased for being loupe clean. I have seen very few saturated aquamarines; almost all I have seen show a degree of gray, hence AAA carries no meaning because in terms of trying to price value, I have no yardstick to measure it by. Those that are truly saturated costs thousands of dollars while the lesser ones only a few dollars. This is why I don’t even know where to start my estimation. If you are wondering if what you have is a good deal, an independent appraiser’s service may fit the bill because he will be able to see the stone and ring in person.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m in agreement with Chrono. Aquas are plentiful, but the super duper ones are not and are priced accordingly.

snowc

Rough_Rock
Understandable. I will have to post pictures so you all can see what I mean, as soon as I get it...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results