shape
carat
color
clarity

Good Price EGL Stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

el_lay619

Rough_Rock

I have been looking around for a diamond and I got a good price on an EGL certified stone. I haven’t seen the full certificate but these are the stats I have:

Color: G

Clarity: VS2

Carat: 1.18

Don’t have cut stats.

$6300

When the jeweler showed me this stone, he also showed me a GIA VS2 ($900 more) and a GIA SI1 ($200 cheaper) of relatively the same size. This is the first diamond I have ever purchased so I’m definitely a real beginner. The GIA VS2 had a very visible inclusion in the middle of the stone and it was visible from the top (I believe it was a needle). The GIA SI1 was totally full of all different inclusions and not acceptable. I was having a hard time finding much of anything in the EGL stone, I saw a pinpoint or 2 but that was it. I asked the jeweler to show me what else was wrong with the stone and he showed me a small, relatively clear, cloud visible through the bottom of the stone.

I’m waiting to get the full EGL cert. so I can find the rest of the inclusions and review the cut but I’m seriously considering the EGL diamond. As I look at prices online I notice that EGL is always cheaper than GIA and I’ve read all the posts about EGL giving a grade on color or clarity.

If I look at this EGL cert., can it be trusted? Even if it does give a little on color or clarity I found it harder to see the inclusions in the EGL stone verses the GIA. Could there possibly be another reason EGL stones are usually cheaper? Can or should I pay to have the stone GIA certified? Or appraised?

I would appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Is this at a store or on the internet ?

el_lay619

Rough_Rock
It's at a store but I was checking prices with the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results