shape
carat
color
clarity

Good place to register?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
I am expecting in April and would love some ideas for good places to register. BRU really annoys me and they don''t have a lot of stuff I want- it''s all very boring. Anyone have some ideas?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm I found that BRU was one of the best choices not only for me but for my shower guests. They also have a wide range of choices and different brands. So I guess a good question to ask is what are you looking for that they don''t have? You could always try some place like amazon. Also I think on thebump.com you can set upa registry that will pull things from a bunch of stores like Buy Buy Baby, BRU, Target, Baby Depot, etc. But the easier you make it for your shower guests the more likely you''ll get what you want.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the message. They don''t have the MacLaren techno XLR or a lot of higher end stuff. I found more stuff at Target but I am wary of return policy and registry horror stories.

In terms of clothes, I really only want onesies and socks from Baby Gap (this is our second and Baby Gap fit so much better and stayed intact longer than Carters/Gerber/Circo... the socks were the only ones baby couldnt pull off too!) Unfortunately, BabyGap doesn''t have a registry... so I will probably get lots of cute non practical outfits. (big sigh.)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Return the outfits! I believe Buy Buy Baby takes BB&B 20% off coupons which is awesome. I would try Amazon for selection. People probably will buy you clothes since it is your second. Hopefully they will include a gift receipt.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
We got our Maclaren Techno XLR from BRU, but it''s only available in select stores or online - just an FYI.

The only national stores that we have in my town with baby registries are Target and BRU. I hate Target''s return policy and our guests seemed to prefer BRU, so we just went with that. I''m not wild about BRU, but there are some people who just want to go shopping in person and need something that''s close to them, you know? We also registered at a local store in town that I absolutely love, and our families knew that the stuff on that registry is what we really needed (cloth diapers), which helped.

Off-topic: So BabyGap socks are good? We just got a bunch of socks from someone else and we only really like the mystery 0-6 socks with no labels. Now that he''s outgrown them, we''re getting so frustrated. The others we have fall off every two minutes. Also, I talked with my mom a few days ago about her experience with siblings and how things fit, as I''m thinking about getting rid of all of our BabyGap onesies as they didn''t fit George at all - but she said that my brother and I were very different shapes as babies. Just something to keep in mind before you stock up.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Blen''s right, they do have that stroller: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2590956

Have you tried setting up your registry online? As for Baby Gap, that''s a little tougher but maybe you can return the outfits and get what you need/want. GL

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't mean to be presumptuous-but most people don't have baby showers for #2 and so I wouldn't necessarily count on getting a lot of gifts for a second child.

I for my friends with second children I get them a little something-but not the kind of big stuff I got them for a first child.

That being said you could register using Amazon Wish lists-it allows you to add items from anywhere and centralizes it. But people won't necessarily use it. I had an amazon wishlist and a target registry-almost everyone bought from the target registry. Even people who shipped gifts to my shower hostess.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did Target and PB Kids because some people just don't like shopping at Target (sacrilege!) and would rather shop at PB because of the brand name or whatever. So I wanted both options so that people didn't feel like they had to go to one store.

I also liked BabyGap actually... they have a lot of stuff online they don't have in stores (bedding, strollers, carseats etc), and you can always return things and get gift cards for future clothes etc. Their clothes are SOOO cute.

Also I had Amazon recommended to me for a registry..I use it for Wishlist but did not register there.

Lastly, Land of Nod has really cute things for decor, and the room, the bedding, etc. It is like a PB Kids, lighter on clothes and accessories but really cute stuff.

So if you are looking for something out of the ordinary... I'd do BG or LoN just for their diff range of products than the bigger box stores which to me carry most of the 'basics' and you might already have those.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2009 12:59:04 PM
Author: neatfreak
I don't mean to be presumptuous-but most people don't have baby showers for #2 and so I wouldn't necessarily count on getting a lot of gifts for a second child.

I for my friends with second children I get them a little something-but not the kind of big stuff I got them for a first child.

That being said you could register using Amazon Wish lists-it allows you to add items from anywhere and centralizes it. But people won't necessarily use it. I had an amazon wishlist and a target registry-almost everyone bought from the target registry. Even people who shipped gifts to my shower hostess.
2nd. A lot of people don't agree with the idea of having a baby shower for a second baby. In fact, I didn't have one. The only gift I got for my second was a Peg Perego double stroller for my two boys. (It was so expensive, too, what a gift! I was lucky
2.gif
)

That said though, my first shower was HUGE and I received amazing gifts from many friends/family and I would have been embarrassed to "ask," by registering a second time over. Some flew from out-of-state for my shower and that was a gift, in itself.

The only two times I think it's acceptable to have a second shower is if a) you never had one with your first baby, and b) your children are really far apart in age. If the youngest is in 1st or 2nd grade or older, than it'd be a given that the mom wouldn't have most of the items they will need.

I registered at BRU because I found everything I needed there and the prices are good. Same with Target. As long as the gift givers are good about providing gift receipts, you should be okay. At my sons' b-day parties, everyone hands me the receipts, so it's common habit. I do think it's important to register at a place that many can afford. . .if you do want PB or another, you should still ask for stuff from less expensive stores. Also, provide LOCAL stores. I'd be annoyed if someone registered at a web site where I was forced to pay shipping.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m VERY picky when it comes to kids'' socks. I mean neurotic. Up until my kids were about 4 or 5, I only bought Old Navy socks. Now that they''re in elementary, the ONLY two stores I buy them socks from is Gap Kids and Gymboree. They''re expensive there: 2 pairs for $8-10, but I always wait until they''re on sale and stock up. They last SOOOO much longer and never pill. Gymboree''s clothes, in general, are the best quality I''ve seen! More than 1/2 my kids'' clothes are from there. My older son is nearly too old for they styles though
7.gif

(But, sock wise: socks are one of my guilty pleasures. I have no qualms about spending $20 on a single pair for myself. I nearly cry when my favorite socks get holes in them. One pair was so cute, I tried to sew up the hole - lol. . .it was on the bottom of my foot, so every time I stepped down, it felt like I was stepping on a pea because the stitching job was so terribly done. lol)

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
I actually don't want a shower but they will be 9 years apart in age and my friends are insisting on it. I had a small shower the first time around across the country when I was in grad school so no one here actually went to my first shower. My son will be finishing up third grade when baby is born! My best friend in college hosted my baby shower but my apartment was bigger than her apartment at that time so we had it at my place. I was only 22 at the time and we didn't know that was a faux pas, we were all grad students lol!

Also, I don't think a registry is just for showers, a lot of people know that we need all new stuff and just have asked us what we need- it is nice to point them in the right direction. I don't want to end up with 8 copies of Good night moon if I can avoid it.

We gave ALL the baby stuff to DH's cousin about 5 years ago anyway so I need everything- all I have left is my Pump In style! I am kind of loathing the idea of another shower but it looks like my work will be throwing me one as well as my friends.

I love the idea of a baby-que over the summer/meet the baby instead but I don't know if I will be feeling up to hosting lots of people over. Plus it would be nice to have some help purchasing all of this stuff. I HATE baby showers though.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
With a 9 year difference, I don''t think a shower is inappropriate. I wouldn''t expect someone to hang on to baby clothes, strollers, PNP, bassinet, etc for that long.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nine years apart in age is a wide enough age gap to have another shower.

gingerB

Shiny_Rock
i registered at target and bru for most of the smaller stuff and for the "gear" strollers, carseats, carriers, etc..." i used albeebaby.com because the pricing was competive and there''s a 10% off online coupon that the gift givers can use. congrats on bebe #2!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
IMO most people will tend buy stuffs from places they know. But you know your friends and family best. Are they the types who are computer/Internet savvy and would buy online? If they are, then you can just set up online registry. If not, then it wouldn''t matter where you register b/c they will most likely go to BRU or other stores they know.

I know some consider it a big no-no to have shower for the 2nd baby, but a lot of time friends and family want and offer to throw the shower. So it''s not like the mom is asking for another one.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
qt that is why i stuck with Target and PB Kids that have retail locations, even though some online sites have registries (or like amazon)... I know that 3/4 of the people who are coming to my showers won''t buy online and especially none of the parents, grandparents, etc who would buy the bigger stuff anyway. i do 90% of my shopping online but most people don''t !

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Yeah that''s why I brought up that point. We buy a lot online ourselves, but honestly there were only a couple times when we actually bought from an online registry for someone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results