shape
carat
color
clarity

good news and VERY bad news

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, well after a long search for my ering remount and matching wedding band, I decided on the SP full eternity set and ordered it about a month ago. Isaac was awesome to work with and he even suggested a different head (one with a gallery) for my princess center stone. After MUCH waiting, the set arrived yesterday. It is incredibly beautiful, sparkly, and perfect. My husband even said he liked it better than the original set I had (and that''s a BIG deal--he loved the one I had). The gallery head is the perfect finishing touch too, so I was so glad Isaac suggested that. I was so excited last night, I couldn''t even sleep.

So this morning, I had an appt with a local jeweler (a very talented and highly respected goldsmith) to pull my center stone out of my old setting and put it into the new one. I gave him the settings and was browsing around looking at all of his one of a kind, gorgeous (and very expensive jewelry). He came out and had a horrible look on his face. Turns out that as he was getting the princess seated in the new setting, one of the corners of the stone broke. I cannot explain how devastated I was. I tried to hold it together in the store, because there were some other customers there. The jeweler said he felt horrible, that this was not a regular occurence, and that he would replace my stone. (That is very generous, since he didn''t make the setting or sell me the original stone, and he took full responsibility for it for the little time he needed to work on it. I had other local jewelers either say they wouldn''t do that work or would make me basically sign something saying they weren''t responsible for the stone.)

While I''m happy that he is replacing the stone and there''s a very good chance that the one he gets will be better quality than the one I had, I''m still heartbroken because that was MY stone. (It wasn''t like we picked that stone out--it was already in the ering setting when my hubby bought it, but nevertheless, it was mine...) He is going to find a stone as close in size (length and width) as my stone, since the head on the new setting was made for that specific size. He said he would have the stone overnighted and have a finished product for me hopefully Tues sometime. My stone was an "I or better" and he is going to get me at least an H.

Long story, but anyway... I took some photos this morning, in anticipation of posting before and after shots later today, but I can''t do that yet, obviously. Once I have the finished product, I''ll post some pics. Ugghhh...

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
I am so so sorry about what happened *HUGS*.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank you. I''m trying to "see the positive" in this, as my sister suggests... :)

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry for what happened with your stone. However, it sounds like you''ve got a good jewelry who is treating you the best he can. He owned up to what happened and is doing his best to make you happy. So sorry!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry. What happened is awful, but it sounds like you have a decent person to work with.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
keep us updated, and don''t forget to get a written agreement. it sounds like he''s a trustworthy person, but things happen.

so far it sounds like everything will work out for the best. i''m sorry about your losing the diamond, however. i hope the replacement and setting process is relatively stress free.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks you guys! I''m starting to feel better about it. I was wondering something about the SP pieces and didn''t know of any of you knew the answer. I read all the posts about diamonds getting loose and/or falling out in full eternity bands. What would I do if that happened? Would SP have me send it back and they''d replace the stone?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that would definitely upset me, too. However, it does sound like the jeweler is doing the right thing, so that''s refreshing to hear. And it seems like you''re being very understanding and reasonable with the jeweler, too. I hope you grow to love your new stone as much as your old one! And please post pics of your new set when you get a chance!

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Accidents happen
emsad.gif
I''m sure he appreciates you being understanding and it''s great that he is working with you to make things right. Can''t wait to see pictures!!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I ditto marvel. Sorry this happened to you but so happy you''re working with such a stand up guy.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2007 5:16:15 PM
Author: katiedid
Thanks you guys! I''m starting to feel better about it. I was wondering something about the SP pieces and didn''t know of any of you knew the answer. I read all the posts about diamonds getting loose and/or falling out in full eternity bands. What would I do if that happened? Would SP have me send it back and they''d replace the stone?
You''d have to ask SP what their policy is on stones falling out. Either way, it does happen occassionally...but luckily it''s not a huge expense to replace stones unless of course the stones in your band are large.

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
6.gif
Oh my! I may be asking the obvious, but did you see the diamond after it was chipped? Also, did you have insurance? I guess I would have to eat it if anything happened to my 3/4 ct stone, it''s neither certified or insured.
8.gif

I can''t wait to see your finished rings - they will be beautiful, I''m sure!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry, but also so glad that you''re working with such a seemingily honest and honorable jeweler.

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but if he is willing to replace it and he is on the UP AND UP, then you have just found you a jeweler for life. I hope everything turns out okay.

Good Luck
MWG

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, he brought it out to show me. I saw it. :( And the stone was not certified. He asked me for the specs on it and I told him what I knew, which was basically that it was "I or better" and "SI or better" according to the insurance appraisal the jewelry store (a B&M in the mall...) gave my husband when he bought it just 2.5 yrs ago. Of course, this jeweler measured the stone, and knows to order something that will fit in the new setting (which I left with him). He said he will get me at least an H of the same clarity and size or better. We''ll see... The sad thing is that the whole point of this was to take my original diamond and find a new platinum "home" for it. If I was starting from scratch with a new stone as well, I wouldn''t have been so limited in my choices. My husband made 2 good points. One was that this probably would have happened eventually, even if we had waited a couple of more years to do it, and two, that we still have the prettiest set we could have picked out and nothing would have been any prettier. So it''s not like I would have picked a different setting in all likelihood. Right now, I''m feeling pretty lucky that this was the guy who broke it and not someone who would have just said "sorry".

As far as insurance, that was my first thought when he told me it broke. But when he followed that up with a very quick "I''ll replace your stone", I didn''t worry about the insurance any more. I have no idea what my insurance even covers. I think I have a rider on our homeowner''s policy for my jewelry. It''s not like I have a lot of nice jewelry anyway. If the jeweler had not been willing to replace the stone, would I have called my insurance guy? How would I have gotten that covered to get a new one? It scares me to think I could have had to fork over another several thousand dollars for a new stone...

My husband is so sweet. He knew how upset I was tonight so he made me open my mother''s day gift early. It was a very pretty, very simple, mother and child type pendant with 3 little (and I mean little!) diamonds in it. I guess I''m pretty lucky overall huh? :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry about your diamond, but you are amazingly fortunate to be working with this jeweler!

Anyway, regarding insurance, you have to have an appraisal on the ring and have a rider added to your homeowners that will cover your ring in case of damage, loss, fire, theft, etc. It usually won''t be covered otherwise (there may be a small amount built in for jewelry, but I''d never count on that). So by all means have this jeweler write you up an insurance valuation so you can add the new ring to your insurance. Or you can get jewelry insurance through companies like Jeweler''s Mutual or Chubb.

As far as little lost stones, it probably would cost you less to replace them locally as opposed to paying shipping and insurance to mail the rings back to SP. Hopefully that will be a very rare occurence!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
What a sad story - I feel really bad for you; it would be devastating. However I admire your jeweler a lot. Many would just say, "oh well, sorry." You are very lucky here and I bet he''ll get you a great stone. Will you be able to keep the old broken one for sentimental purposes?

I think princess cuts often have a high failure risk due to the pointy corners and often times thin girdles. I hope it all works and and you are able to fall in love with the new stone.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I thought about asking for my old broken stone back. It''s not like he can do anything with it right?

By the way, what exactly should I ask him for in terms of something in writing about the new stone?

elle

Shiny_Rock
I''m so sorry about your original stone. I hope the jeweller lives up to his word and gets you a worthy replacement. Please do post pics when you get it reset.

As for your original stone, I''m thinking he may have to submit that for insurance on his part?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Add me to the list of people who are so sorry to hear this, but so happy the jeweler is doing the right thing!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results