shape
carat
color
clarity

Good idea? - NYC/Long Island

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joker382

Rough_Rock
I am in the process of buying a ring (cushion cut split shank style) (by the way, I will take any suggestions of a good jeweler in NY or Long Island) but I am also thinking about the proposal. I''d appreciate some feedback to either make it better or just to comment. Here is what I have in mind:

Scenario 1 - Going to central park for a picnic (we have never been there for a picnic) bringing some wine and her favorite foods. After the picnic I want to go on one of those horse carriage rides around the park. Around dinner time I found a boat that goes out around the city with approx 50 people for a sunset type of cruise for 2.5 hours. Then to end the night, I am going to get a nice hotel to spend the night. Now the question is, at which point would be best to propose? and should I throw dinner in there?

Scenario 2 - Going to the vineyards on eastern LI. Same deal with the picnic. Now some of them have bands playing, I was thinking of saying something to the band but that will be hard to get away from her to do that. Or just to do it when we are enjoying our picnic. After I''d like to go to a fancy restaurant and spend the night in a nice B&B or hotel in the area.

I need some females'' opinions on the matter.....you know best!!! I will take other suggestions if you are familiar with the areas

incmisirlou

Rough_Rock
hey Joker, i''m from Long Island. i havent done too much jewelry shopping myself, but GOG in massapequa is a very highly recommended place. it''s on sunrise hwy right near the tower records and in the same shopping center as friday''s. i love the CP idea if youre going to to the central park one i''d suggest calling ahead to them as well because you can arrange for them to stop at a certain location, i found this link http://www.ajnfineart.com/MCC/CarriageRide.html they have a special "engagement ride" and it goes through strawberry fields, and past tavern on the green and cherry hill that overlooks the water. tavern on the green is a gorgeous place, especially at night. id probably wait til the end of the night for the carriage ride. throw dinner in there somewhere if you get hungry! i do like the winery idea as well, if you want a band involved call ahead. ive been on a B&B hunt too heres another link to the ones on long island. http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/long-island-new-york.html
good luck to you! are you located on LI?

joker382

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the link to the carriage ride. That will definitely help. As far as the jeweler, I will have to look into them, again...thanks! Yes I am on Long Island - Suffolk. I will welcome any other tips/links or ideas from anyone. It is still a work in progress!

incmisirlou

Rough_Rock
do you think your FF will want a public or a more private proposal, id like a public one but some ladies would rather have the moment be between just the 2 of you. i''m from suffolk too, south shore.

joker382

Rough_Rock
I think somewhere in between. I don''t want to do it with tons of people around like at a ball game or something, but i don''t need it to be just the two of us. I just want to "wow" her in some way. (I''m from the north shore!)

joker382

Rough_Rock
I was just looking into central park. Has anyone been to the belvedere castle there? or on a gondola ride? are either of those recommended as a place to propose? or are their better places in central park?

incmisirlou

Rough_Rock
my bf and hopefully soon FF is from the north shore, hope thats you stefan! haha jk.

what about the "top of the rock" observation deck in rockefeller center. the view is awesome. heres a link. http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/ODTStatic/site.htm?/ODTStatic/Web/AboutTheTop.htm

this might be cheesy but, theres a build a bear workshop on Fifth ave in nyc ive made a couple for me and my niece and im pretty sure there was a bride and groom outfit, maybe you could make a bear together and propose with ring on the bear?

joker382

Rough_Rock
haha....no, its not stefan. I was thinking about that, but I feel that is too touristy, and I am sure people do it there all the time. I have a friend who is a manager at Rockafella center and he said during the skating season, there were like 5-10 proposals a night. I don''t want to be one of those people that do the same as everyone else. But I appreciate the tip. Any unique ideas that go along with the city theme? I''m leaning towards the city over the wineries, there are more options and things to do before/after/during. Plus her favorite restaurants were asia de cuba and dos caminos. I was thinking of doing something with one of those places.

incmisirlou

Rough_Rock
how about at the planetarium at the museum of natural history, its somewhere in the high 70''s and central park w. or how about the brooklyn botanical gardens? maybe the bronx zoo in front of the penguins since theyre famous for picking their lifemates. hehe im cheeeeeseeetastic! i worked in the city for a while and i love everything about it thats why i have so many nyc ideas

joker382

Rough_Rock
Since you used to live there, what are some other areas/ideas? I was thinking of the central park idea like I was saying earlier and then getting a hotel in that area. Are you familiar with central park at all? where is the best place for a picnic/proposal? Horse carriage? on the green? a restaurant? I''ve read some things that you can arrange to have the ring put in a desert or something but i''m not so sure if i like the whole restaurant idea...seems a bit cliche.

incmisirlou

Rough_Rock
i thought your original idea of the horse and carriage was really nice. there are also row boats you can rent in central park as well as the conservatory gardens, if youre beatles fans you could go to strawberry fields, theres also the terrace that overlooks the lake. there are so many wonderful places for a proposal in centeral park. if you think the ring in the dessert is cliche then its just not for you. which idea is your favorite? which do you think your FF would enjoy the most?

joker382

Rough_Rock
I''m leaning more toward the horse and carriage idea and having the guy stop somewhere to "take a picture" and have him take pictures of us while i am proposing.

I think we will head in there fairly early and spend the day in central park, just relaxing, drinking some wine and just hanging out. Then I want to suggest the horse ride and then do it like I just said. I was also thinking of a boat ride, I found a boat that seemed nice - the Sheerwater - and I was thinking of maybe doing it on that. I don''t know how I can do all of this without telling her anything though. Also, do you have any recommendations for a nice hotel in that area? I still don''t think I have the "wow" factor yet.....but I am still brainstorming

incmisirlou

Rough_Rock
i like the carriage ride idea there are so many gorgeous spots in central park for a proposal. there are many hotels around central park and since i live not too far i havent stayed in any of them. but one of the W hotels has a great restaurant called olives being a chef i cant help but pick everything by the food they have. there is a ritz carlton at central park south that would be a great yet pricy place to spend your first night as an engaged couple. but there are plenty of other gorgeous and lesser expensive alternatives.

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock
i often stay near central park and can highly recommend the mandarin oriental hotel in the time warner bldg. it''s very nice and they have a beautiful bar(on like the 18th floor) that overlooks central park south and the park. a nice place to celebrate after the proposal.

other hotels to consider are the pierre and st. regis on 5th ave-- check their website for rates and specials.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results