shape
carat
color
clarity

Good evening! Newbie here....and an Amertine Q

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have been reading these threads for a while. You all have some very interesting and beautiful pieces! A little about myself. I am a new gemstone collector, and I LOVE tanzanites. I have about 70cts of loose tanzies. I recently came across this one. It is a 75+ ct ametrine. I say + because I cant find a scale that will go above 75cts to get a true weight. It is a natural stone. The citrine color shifts 3 different times in the stone, and kind of makes a z when you look at it from the side. It also has a natural veil inclusion and another feather inclusion on the bottom of the stone. You cant really see it inless you are face up into it. The rest of the stone looks like glass. I just purchased it for a STEAL (6$) from a guy on ebay. He wasnt a dealer (or I would have assumed fake) but just a guy selling off the stuff in his house it looked like. He said he had it cut from a huge 200ct rough about 7 yrs ago. He gave me the cutters name and I called him and he remembered the stone. I put it in my refractometer and it is spot on for ametrine. At 1.548. The color change line isnt real sharp, also telling me its natural. (as you can see, I make sure I have real stones)
I have been researching Ametrines, and I cant find one this size in natural form. The highest I have gotten is 50ish cts.

What would you think the value of a stone like this would be? I usually deal with Tanzies, so I dont know much about these. Thank you in advance! I am sure you will see alot more of me!

KS12233333.JPG

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is another picture from the side...

KS122333.JPG

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The other side...

KS12223.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi Tropicgal,

Welcome to PS and thankyou for sharing your photos
35.gif

I thought I may just suggest not to use your email addy as your screen name? Of course you are welcome to use what you like, but being a public forum personally I would be concerned about security/unsolicited emails.
If you contact the admins they could help you change it.

Again welcome and I hope you enjoy your time here!
1.gif

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh thank you! I ment to just put tropicgal10, but it auto filled I guess. I wil change it!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous stone, Tropicgal, and welcome to Pricescope.

Have you taken a look at the ametrines at All That Glitters? Link They have some stones with mixed colors like yours, although I don''t find any quite as big.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
have no idea about the value of that ametrine- but just wanted to say Welcome to PS and boy that is a Lovely Gem
30.gif

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you!

Ack, over 700 for a 20ct....Now I really wanna know what this bad boy is worth! Maybe I should put it in something more then a baggie...

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This one really shows its size. It is HUGE!

KS12233333 (2).JPG

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to PS, that''s a great fun size!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 9:40:30 PM
Author: Tropicgal10
Oh thank you! I ment to just put tropicgal10, but it auto filled I guess. I wil change it!

you're welcome!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I keep telling hubby I am going to make it into a ring HAHA!! Wouldnt that be totally awesome!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 11:13:10 PM
Author: Tropicgal10
I keep telling hubby I am going to make it into a ring HAHA!! Wouldnt that be totally awesome!

Hey, I'd do it.
9.gif

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Cool ametrine! Welcome.
35.gif

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE ametrine myself and the color on this stone is really nice even if the zones are not "perfect"...and the price, NICE! I''d have no idea how to set something that big, but I really like it and thanks for sharing it.

Laura

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’ll make an awesome broach. It’ll hang your neck down as a pendant.
9.gif

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/11/2009 1:34:27 AM
Author: Largosmom
I LOVE ametrine myself and the color on this stone is really nice even if the zones are not ''perfect''...and the price, NICE! I''d have no idea how to set something that big, but I really like it and thanks for sharing it.

Laura
See, I like this stone because its not perfect. Imperfect stones have more personality....and give you more to look at. I think noone bid on it because it wasnt a dealer selling it. It was some dude with 50 (100%) feedback selling his old coins, knives and this gem. I like to seek out these people on ebay who are selling their small collection pieces because you get the best deals.

I was thinking a pendent too. I havnt set any of my stones yet (except for my 1.3ct diamond). I am always so scared to set them because then they can get damaged.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Maybe it wouldn''t be a bad idea to get some basic sort of ID report for this stone, cause at this carat weight even ametrines become quite pricey (mainly because of the weight, they''re not rare or something). I see some 25-30 ct pieces, not much better than yours, sold for like 300$ retail, so you might''ve made a very good deal.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Personally I would make a multi strand pearl bracelet out of it like Lady Diana''s. Though the colors might be off with this stone!

I love BIG gemstones but I dont'' come close to yours! my largest is 20.09 cts!

Welcome to PS!

vPDaquabracelet621v2.jpg

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh how cool! I like that idea!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Prices on quartz usually decrease per ct above 20 cts or so. The wholesale price for a stone like this would be between $2 and $8 per ct. Better colors, color effect and cuts getting the higher prices. You dont see a lot of larger stones because they are not really useful in jewelry.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to Pricescope. What a lovely and HUGE ametrine.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results