shape
carat
color
clarity

Good diamond for the money?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JmuTarHeel

Rough_Rock
Laboratory: EGL
Cut: Premium
Carat Weight: 1.71
Color: F
Clarity: SI2
Shape: Round Brilliant
Depth: 59.2%
Table: 58%
Polish: VG
Symmetry: EX
Culet: N
Girdle: M F
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 7.75x7.86x4.62

They are asking $7,392 - does this seem resonable? Thanks in advance!

JMUTarHeel

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey jmutarheel! welcome to ps!
35.gif

hey, what did you think of all those nc boys going as lottery picks in the draft?
36.gif

i thought that was cool.
2.gif

anyway, yes, to answer your question, that is a fair price for a diamond in that range.

JmuTarHeel

Rough_Rock
Thank you belle - nice to hear from a fellow Heel fan
2.gif

I am a rabid follower of UNC bball, and was lucky enough to have a great girlfriend who got me tickets to UNC/Dook @UNC (the one they won in the last 15 secs). She also got me a signed 2005 unc bball from their charity auction and a 1984 unc team signed bball (Jordan, Perkins, Worthy, etc.) I value these more than my own life - Now it''s time to buy her something sparkly
9.gif
and propose.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2005 4:19:16 PM
Author: JmuTarHeel
Thank you belle - nice to hear from a fellow Heel fan
2.gif

I am a rabid follower of UNC bball, and was lucky enough to have a great girlfriend who got me tickets to UNC/Dook @UNC (the one they won in the last 15 secs). She also got me a signed 2005 unc bball from their charity auction and a 1984 unc team signed bball (Jordan, Perkins, Worthy, etc.) I value these more than my own life - Now it's time to buy her something sparkly
9.gif
and propose.
i like the tar heels, and am really just a total college basketball fanatic in general. i love it! there's nothing like a good unc-duke matchup......i would have loved to be at that game!! too cool!

so have you seen this diamond in person?

JmuTarHeel

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately no, but it would be shipped free to an ind. appraiser (Martin Fuller) who works less than a block from me - where I''d get the app. and make a decision after (they would also pay ship back if I dont want it). They could also ship another diamond they had - it''s EGL cert, but I dont have the stats from the cert yet (am I correct in thinking the measurements seem tight?):

$7500
Laboratory: EGL
Cut: Ideal
Carat Weight: 2.00
Color: F
Clarity: I1
Shape: Round
Depth: 61.3%
Table: 57%
Polish: VG
Symmetry: EX
Culet: N
Girdle: M F
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 8.02x8.09x4.94

I''d love to go to 2ct, but not at the expense of quality I wouldn''t feel comfortable with. The only difference I see with this one is the clarity drops from SI2 to I1 and the table is 57% instead of 58%.. am I missing something?

set2374

Rough_Rock
I think you''re going to see a major drop in quality from and EGL SI2 to an EGL I1. If size matters a lot to you, I would drop the color before the clarity (provided you stay with an well cut stone). Maybe look for an H-I SI2. The color change will not be as noticeable as a drop from SI2 to I1. An EGL I1 is going to be noticeably included.

JmuTarHeel

Rough_Rock
Thanks set, someone else had mentioned that as well - also said an EGL color rating would almost always equate to the next grade down for a corresponding GIA cert

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
what are your priorities? are you trying to get the biggest stone you can for your $$$ or the best looking?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Hey JMU,

Wishing you well with pursuit and purchase.

The one thing I would offer and share, is to be clear in advance about the services you are looking for from your appraiser, in advance of using him. I note you say:

it would be shipped free to an ind. appraiser (Martin Fuller) who works less than a block from me - where I'd get the app. and make a decision after (they would also pay ship back if I dont want it).

Mr. Fuller frankly enjoys a sterling reputation, and although, being a block away, you'd want to kill yourself to use someone else, however, if you're purchasing a diamond without and AGS certificate, much less an EGL, I understand that unless he's upgraded his shop from when I used him last summer, he does not have equipment (sarin, ogi, helium) to measure with accuracy the proportions that traditionally point to an ideal make.

But, I am not an expert, other appraisers here purport to support the possibility of their cohorts doing quality work without such equipment, and you really may not be looking for that level of detail. Do understand, however, that other appraisers who populate this board have this equipment, and should be able to provide the same no cost service of evaluation that Mr. Fuller's office does.

If you'll have read this before visiting his office, let us know how it works out when you go. I kind of don't understand how he (and most appraisers who invest in other expensive equipment, like master color sets, etc.) does his work. I went there with the diamond set, and the belief I had this proportion data already, so was less concerned about his being able to do those kind of measurements..not that I knew he couldn't do it when I showed up. But, had I known then what I know now, I'd have been hard pressed to go there again.

Otherwise, best of luck with your purchase. This is one lower cost comparable (of a confirmed well cut diamond, matcing the same color and clarity) I saw, and so if you're wanting to stay in the same price range, it could be helpful to get insight into Belle's last question. (edited to add): but, based on the other descriptors you've provided, for comparable EGL certed diamonds of the same color & clarity, pricing appears to be favorable.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results