shape
carat
color
clarity

Good diamond for pendant?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kbesner

Rough_Rock
The attached screenshot is of a diamond I have on 48 hour hold. Can you guys/gals please tell me if there is something better I should be looking at in this price range? It would eventually be put into a white gold pendant. And I do want the princess cut, not round.
Thanks!!!

d1_1973.JPG

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
can not read it, but it looks like 0.36ct?
I have a rule - no princes cuts under 1/2ct
A round in a square hole can be set to look perfectly square in a picture frame setting with beads in the corners for pendant and earrings.
And will out sprkle a princess 2-1

And not show the darkness from the floor - especially if you chosse a shallow round

kbesner

Rough_Rock
Yes, .36.
.5 would be way out of my price range.
Is that a common practice, to put a round stone in a square setting?
I know in general she prefers Princess cut, and her engagement ring is a Princess cut.
Thanks!

E B

Ideal_Rock
With a diamond of that size, I''d drop to a lower color/eye-clean clarity and go a bit bigger. You might be able to hit close to .5 with an H, SI1/ eye-clean SI2.

kbesner

Rough_Rock
I''m really torn on what to get now....
For a given price range, about $500 - $550 (for the diamond only), I can get a round diamond with a width of about 4.3mm. This would be in the G/SI1 range.
In princess cut, the width would be around 3.9mm, but would be a higher grade, about F/VS2.
I did try searching for lower grade, larger princess cuts, but nothing was really available in that price range.

So is .4mm a huge difference??? Will the sparkle be -that- much better on the round diamond, and does it matter that it will be a lower grade??
If it matters, her engagement ring is a 1.13 Princess cut, F/VVS2. I thought it might be a good idea to therefore get a princess stone for the pendant, but then again, I guess a round can be mounted in a square looking pendant setting if she wanted...

I''m running out of time, help me decide please!!!!

kbesner

Rough_Rock
BTW, for the record, when I''ve talked to the folks at Blue Nile (where I intend to buy from), if anything, they have played down the .5mm difference, and have recommended stones on the smaller, less expensive end of what I was looking at...

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with a round because it will sparkle more than a pc of the same carat weight. I''d maybe get I color and eye clean in the largest size you can get. A better cut smaller stone will out perform a fair or good cut larger stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results