shape
carat
color
clarity

Good Deal EGL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snuttmann

Rough_Rock
I am considering purchasing a diamond from a friend of a friend. I would like a bit of advice.
First, what would a 1.12 Ct Princess cut vs2,G with EGL cert be worth? (Polish and Sym good to very good.) I have seen retail is $4000- $5000. However, as I am buying on the secondary market (ie a used diamond), so I wonder what is fair. My understanding is that half of the retail price should be close. Suggestions? I would like to test the market from the sellers persepctive.

Next, I would like to understand if I am getting what the cert says I am getting. I have seen advice on this board that receommends independent appraiser before purchase. I would like to get a GIA cert as well. Is there a way to get those both done by the same individual or must I send the diamond to NYC? Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks for any input.
S

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
from the seller''s perspective, wholesale-125% wholesale

if you get an independent appraisal from a very thorough lab, they will tell you MUCH more about the stone than GIA ever will. It isn''t necessary to do the appraisal and GIA. The appraiser can also tell you how much the wholesale value would be.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Buying a stone from a friend.....

What you friend can expect from his previous purchase will vary on several factors.

A. How fast he wants to be paid. If he needs the cash right away, he might sell it for less, if he doesn''t guess you have to consider the price he wants as compared to what you would pay elsewhere.

B. Who he is selling it to and how. i.e. used jewelry and diamond buyer for cash, jewelry store on consignment, or advertise it on ebay or local paper.

C. The amount of effort and "advertising" he is willing to do.

Before buying a stone from a private person, I would advise you to find out if he financed the purchase from the jewelry store. You could buy a stone that there is money owed on and as such he may not totally own it. You need to verify that it was paid for.

It is also prudent to verify that the person you''re buying it from was the original purchaser. If the reason he wants to sell it is because of a broken engagement, it is his property. If it was due to a broken marriage, the item may be marital property, and owned by both people. If it is a broken marriage, then you should make certain that their property settlement included transfer of any marital interest to the person you''re buying it from.

Your quoting "retail prices" in your post of between $ 4000.00 $5000.00

Are these for EGL graded stones offered on the internet? Or are these prices that local jewelers charge?

Now since we have the AGS Cut Grade for Princess cut stones, it might be wise to find out what that is.

Depending on what cut grade you want, this stone may or may not be the cut grade you want. You might be willing to purchase a stone that isnt exactly the best cut grade if the price is right. But you need to be thoroughly informed as to the correct quality of the stone, as if the stone isn''t what you want, no price is really "good enough".

Hope this helps.

Rockdoc

gem girl

Rough_Rock
if you want a gia cert it must go through NY. expensive and time consuming. I suggest finding an independant appraiser who trained at GIA and uses thier grading system and terminology. Especially since GIA only provides grading services, not appraisals. Because you are buying in a secondary market, be sure to request a fair market value as opposed to a retail replacement value.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results