shape
carat
color
clarity

"good" cut??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dove

Rough_Rock
My fiance bought me a diamond with a good cut. I received the ring back in August, and have loved it since! I thought the diamond sparkled a lot and looked great to me...until I started reading posts on this site which say you should only buy an "excellent" cut....and now I am having my doubts about the good cut. Can you really see the difference between a good and an excellent cut? My fiance wasn''t that educated when he bought the ring...he just went to a jeweler that his mom recommended. The jeweler only showed him diamonds with a good cut...and my fiance thought good was good enough!

Other specs of my stone: RB, color - F, clarity VS2, carat - 1.5.

Now I am being told by a DIFFERENT jeweler that he thinks the clarity is actually SI1 and not VS2. He says it''s a high SI1. WAHHHH! I feel like the more I learn about the diamonds, the more I get stressed out about mine
19.gif

I''ve told my fiance about what I have been learning on PS, and he feels a bit bad. Am I being crazy?

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
If you have an eye-clean SI1 then I think you shouldn't feel too bad about the grading since VS2 and SI1 are so close in clarity. The only concern I would have would be if the price was significantly different than it should be as an SI1. I find that different jewelers and appraisers will grade diamonds with slight variance, because specs such as clarity and color are something that is usually determined with the human eye and lots of experience/education/training (and what's the word that means your own personal decision based on experience and knowledge?). Perhaps your jeweler is just grading the stone a little lower than the cert (do you have a cert?)? I have been wrong before so if anyone needs to correct me, feel free.

ETA: For example, here's a thread that demonstrates how different gemologists/jewelers can differ in how they grade color: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-most-color-grading-the-grading-of-tone.42653/

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Hi Dove, Welcome to PriceScope!
35.gif
Yes you learn a lot here on PS about ideal cut stones and how they can maximize the brilliance and fire of a stone. But you should always let your eyes be the final judge. A good cut is a good cut. Where you should start worrying is fair and poor cut stones. I think a good tool to learn about when you''re learning about the cut grade of stones is the IdealScope. It lets you see where there is light leakage in your stone, and how symmetrical your stone is, and more info too. You can learn about it HERE , and on PS in the knowledge section, and you can ask Gary H about it too (here on PS).

But I don''t think you should feel bad about your diamond! If it''s beautiful to you and makes you smile, that''s what matters
9.gif
Do you have any pictures you''d like to share?
31.gif

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
OH YES! Sunkist you said the magic word! Pictures please!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alphasig, my diamond (purchased at an independent B&M jeweler recommended by many of our friends) is a J, SI1, good cut, good etc. When I first happened upon PS, I was a little intimidated and became a bit insecure about the quality of my diamond. It''s also a 1.5, btw. After being here for over 6 months, though, it has become less of an issue to me. Someone will always have a better diamond, bigger diamond, fewer flaws, than mine. My husband did the best he could for his budget and the size he wanted to give me. After about 2 months of reading all about what a "great" diamond was, I realized that I was happy with my stone, no matter what. I still look at it like 100 times a day (at least) and love it, and I''m so proud of it. You can torture yourself all you want, but I''m willing to bet that sometime you''ll look at your stone and forget all about "what if." And if you don''t, heaven knows there''s always the upgrade fairy, lol!
35.gif

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Ha ha, I think you meant to address that to Dove, right Monarch? I agree that if she's happy with it, she shouldn't stress over it. I was hoping my diamond-talk (as crappy as it might be) would help ease her concern a little.

Dove

Rough_Rock
Thanks Sunkist, aphisiglovessae, and Monarch! I do love my diamond and of course I realllllllllllllllly love my fiance which is the most important part! I have become diamond obsessed ever since I discovered Pricescope. Anyway, the diamond looks beautiful to me and sparkles like crazy, and has a different "personality" in different lights, which I love. Thanks for reassuring me
1.gif

thunkpad

Shiny_Rock
It seems to me that ''Good'' ''Very Good'' and ''Excellent'' cut doesn''t always correlate on what us mere mortals look for when we view a diamond - ie how sparkly it is (a term yet to appear on any GIA certificate!) If it looks bright and sparkly to you then that''s all you need to know. As for SI1 verses VS2, I''d say it''s really not a problem as long as it''s eye clean when you look at it. I''d reassure your fiance that whatever the cert says you think the stone looks stunning and that''s worth more than any certificate grading
5.gif

Dove

Rough_Rock
Oh it is totally eye clean - at least to me!! Our jeweler even gave my fiance a loupe, and even under the magnification, I can''t really see the flaw...apparently it''s kinda hidden in the facets or something like that...I''m not a diamond expert so I don''t really understand. Thanks everyone for your reassurance.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
You''re welcome! And welcome to Pricescope!
35.gif
I hope you like it here.

thunkpad

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like your fiance did a GREAT job
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dove, welcome to PS!
35.gif
It is easy to go down the road of questioning our decisions, but you love your diamond and that is all that matters! It is probably far better cut and more beautiful than most you will see! PS is a rare world of diamond and jewellery obsessed persons such as myself, we have a great time here and learn tons everyday, but it isn't the real world! So don't worry about it and enjoy your diamond! Also don't forget , numbers are a guide but don't tell the whole story regarding the magic and beauty of a diamond. Yes, pics please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results