shape
carat
color
clarity

GOOD BETTER BEST??? DIF QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

minicat

Rough_Rock
hi guys and girls,
ive been looking to buy a diamond. I feel i might be rushing it a bit. I have however seen a few, and the best spec/best looking one i have seen so far in my budget is obviously the one i want to buy. But it has a egl antwerp cert (not yet, but assured of quality and will come with). It is a 1.00 crt D IF EX priced 7600 GBP. I understand that egl antwerp is not very good, but is this a bit of an over reaction? The dealer, i assume is reliable (traded for generations, largest ebayer in uk for diamonds). The other dealer i like alot is a trader in hatton gardens, not a retailer, but introduced to me through a friend, traded for years. He did have 1 stone i liked, a GIA cert, D vg1 vg/vg/vg priced 4900 GBP. Again it is very beautiful, but not as nearly nice as the other one i described. I have been given a rough figure of 7800 GBP for a E vvs ex/ex/ex 1 crt and about 6600 GBP for a D IF ex/ex/ex 0.90ish crt, both have a GIA cert. His D IF EX 1crt prices were way over budget.

The thing im worried about, apart from the obvious (enhancement, drilling, etc.) is how ''off the mark'' the egl antwerp cert would be? At the end of the day, the two dealers prices are very similar for the D IF EX (egl) vs E VVS EX (gia). Is it likley that we are talking of the basically the same stones? Or could the egl be a better buy as it is probably borderline on only 1 grade area? (plus extra cost of doing business in US with GIA - the egl diamond is owned by someone in antwerp) Is it possible the guy with the egl diamond could have influence over the egl grading labs to the extent that it is seriously off the mark with respect to its grading?

In the end the egl diamond is one of the best i have ever seen, but i havent seen that many either. Would i be better off just buying from the internet? Does the agl 0 grade or the various sites ''signature cuts'' have a visible difference? Im tempted to go for one of these and not have a full crt. But at the same time, having a perfect diamond, 1crt or over, is a VERY nice thing to have, and although it is a egl cert, it does tick all the boxes... And it is very beautiful. Does anyone think i, a layman, will actually see any difference in a agl 0 grade, i think i saw a E VVS2 agl 0 for about 7000ish GBP on a decent site.

The other thing to do is just wait longer and look more. But i dont live near any fine jewllers that i know of, and withput the stone side by side, i find it hard, so travel just bumps up the cost to. Id like to believe that the dealer with the D IF EX egl cert is 100% reliable as is whoever actually owns this stone and whoever comes into contact with it; and that the egl antwerp cert i not the very best in the world, but i would find it more than hard to tell the difference between that and a agl 0. Because having a diamond that i know has as much brilliance, fire and beauty as possible for one to reasonably see, is more important that having 1 full crt. But having a (lesser) certified perfect diamond of 1 crt is more important than having AGL 0 cert diamond thats just under a crt if im not going to be able to tell the difference.

Thank you very much for any help anyone can give.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Minicat,

I''m reluctant to steer you away from an option that may be promising...and that you seem to like.

Is GBP same as posted US we see on this board?

I''ll just present two options you can consider as alternatives...that you might not prefer...but they are two options you can compare them to, on this board, nonetheless. Good to have options.

Welcome to Pricescope!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
EGL has been known to be up to 2 grades off in color and clarity. Why pay the premium for a D/IF that could end up being graded as an F/VVS2 from a more reputable lab? Also, if you''re in the UK, you should definitely take advantage of the exchange rate and buy online from a U.S. vendor!

An AGS 0 is definitely what you should go for if you want the best lookind diamond possible. Check out Whiteflash.com and GoodOldGold.com for AGS 0 Hearts and Arrows ideal cut diamonds.

minicat

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys.

GBP is about double USD. About a 16,000 USD budget. Thats a max really, with the ring.

What is the difference between the hearts and arrows and another RB cut in terms of fire/brilliance/beauty apart from the parretn it makes.

Been looking on the obvious sites that i can see here, can only find ones i like the specs of on bluenile and a presume its sister site (cause the layout is exactly the same) that i cant remember the name of. White flash and gog have some top stones, but im fortunate to have a budget that exceeds their listed stock. Having said that, thats where start i question what i have seen in terms of colour (how much could i tell the difference, especially when they are not side by side) ie the D IF was maybe a E or as u say even a G. So while i want a perfect diamond, i probably cant afford it. Unless i go under a carat. But if i really wont be able to tell the difference in colour or will need some kind of lab machine to measure whatever difference, then why not go for a E VVS ID 1 crt? The perfect diamond with top cert is more or less out the window for me, but if i can get something where i would find it hard to tell, even side by side, then to me thats ok, if it has a top cert. Any other site ideas?

Linda74

Rough_Rock
I just recently helped my future son in law puchase a diamond from a Pricescope vender (Engagement Rings Direct). I seriously think that if you are in the market for an exceptional diamond, one of the Pricescope vendors can save you much money, especially with the devaluation of the american dollar. You really should find a couple of vendors and see what they can do for you. While it is nice to have a "perfect" diamond, most people wont'' see the difference between an exceptional stone and a perfect stone. You might put your money into a larger stone or an amazing setting. I do know that the 1.29 stone that my son in law purchased is magnificent and getting lots of compliments for under $7000 US.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Minicat,

Having read your clarification on your budget...I see you have a nice problem to have. A few thoughts...

What WF or GOG may not have for you are ACAs or IFs. But...they do have broad stock...more advantaged...to serve you....including Ds and VVS options. Consider using the search by cut tool here to weed them out. DS mentions one above...and here's another.

But...if you'd like the code name IF & D...consider using the Price Stats tool to help you weed. Though BN has one just above your peek for $16,8...Angara has 2 for you...one at $14,2 (or $13, 9 wire priced) and another for just a bit more. This first one is certainly interesting. Though the second Angara one will show excellent on its cert...this first one is an FIC, and scores .8 on the HCA. All three of these options (first from Angara...second avail from both Angara & JA...and the BN option) come with florescence. If this creeps you out...DO look at options from WF & GOG. But...experts here do like florescence...even in these very white colors.

minicat

Rough_Rock
thanks guys

i like the link you posted. just had a quick look then i thought i write this. but ill look now. looks nice, not sure why i missed it. probably didnt do search setting right. getting cross eyed, having to stay up late to do research while missus is in bed!!!

minicat

Rough_Rock
That diamond looks lovely. How do you think it compares to this one, pound for pound or dollar for dollar? (I have to add VAT to it at 17.5%). works out at just over 16k usd. There are a few E VVS AGSL ideas there for less.

I assume that the general consensus is to stay away from the EGL cert diamond i have seen? That it is likley that i may not be getting a bargain. And that regardless of how fine the cut grading difference is between 2 stones, ''a better cut'' will be visable?

http://www.bluenile.co.uk/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&track=view_details_btn&elem=img&pid=LD01145809&filter_id=0

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2007 9:35:54 PM
Author: minicat
That diamond looks lovely. How do you think it compares to this one, pound for pound or dollar for dollar? (I have to add VAT to it at 17.5%). works out at just over 16k usd. There are a few E VVS AGSL ideas there for less.

I assume that the general consensus is to stay away from the EGL cert diamond i have seen? That it is likley that i may not be getting a bargain. And that regardless of how fine the cut grading difference is between 2 stones, ''a better cut'' will be visable?

http://www.bluenile.co.uk/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&track=view_details_btn&elem=img&pid=LD01145809&filter_id=0
Forgetting the math...presuming my Angara and this BN were the same price...I think I''d choose your AGS0 over the clarity advantaged...which cannot be seen.

And yeah...I''d take out EGL options from the equation.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results