shape
carat
color
clarity

Good Appraiser in Chicago area?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kalgal

Rough_Rock
Can anyone recommend a good independent appraiser in the Chicago area?

Thanks!

Kalgal

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
a good independent appraiser , hard to find. A lot of appraisers, but to say you dont buy or sell just apprsaise is hard to find.

sharon scott

Rough_Rock
Kal Gal,

I''ll private message you a local guy.

I''m in Chicago too.

kalgal

Rough_Rock
Thanks for tne info!

Kalgal

bar01

Brilliant_Rock

USFBulls

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/15/2005 10:20:39 AM
Author: Bertrand
I would not recommend PGS, try Richard Drucker in Northbrook instead.
is there a reason not to use PGS?

I work in the loop and would like to use an appraiser in the city.

any reccomendations?

thanks!

NoonersMom

Shiny_Rock
Kalgal, we are using Richard Drucker''s company. Although Richard doesn''t specifically do the appraisals anymore. At least that''s what we were told. We''ve been using Stuart (can''t remember his last name) at the same company. He''s very knowledgable.

We had two diamonds shipped to Stuart to narrow down. We didn''t have an appraisal done on both, but asked for his opinion as to which one he thought was a better performer. First he confirmed that both diamonds matched their cert and then let us look at both of them under the microscope. He said the difference was so minute that we couldn''t go wrong with the larger diamond for less $$$$. He took some notes on the diamond (we didn''t have him run any light tests as they would of had to ship it to their office in NJ & that would of been more time) and then sent it back to WF. Stuart will hopefully be receiving the finished product next week for appraisal. I will advise how thorough he is once we receive the final report. My only concern was that while he is very knowledgable, he seemed very vague, if that makes sense. I will be in contact with him at the beginning of next week to advise of all the documentation that I would like in the report....IS, Sarin, etc in addition to the market numbers for replacement. Again, I''ll let you know once we receive the final report. So far, so good.
1.gif

Also, FYI....it took us about a week to get in for an appointment.

USFBulls

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/14/2005 5:37:46 PM
Author: crankydave
The Chicago Gem Lab, Inc. downtown does very good work.

Dave
I could not locate them on the web

could you prove a web site address?

thanks!

USFBulls

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/22/2005 4:06:10 PM
Author: USFBulls

Date: 2/14/2005 5:37:46 PM
Author: crankydave
The Chicago Gem Lab, Inc. downtown does very good work.

Dave
I could not locate them on the web

could you prove a web site address?

thanks!
bump....

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/19/2005 12:16:17 PM

any reccomendations?

thanks!
Let me try to put as best as I can - There is often some sort of mix between a “ lab” and an” appraiser”. I have had discussions with people about when is an “appraiser” also an “independent lab”. What traits do you attribute to these two terms?

In my way of thinking when you want a lab – you want the best technical guys – does not matter about people skills, business skills, or other human factors. You want lots of state of the art instruments and industry leading certificates.

When you want an appraiser you want good technical skills – but mostly you want a lot of people and business skills. People who can sit and discuss your gem, your setting, plus and minuses, give laymen terms, accurate replacement costs, well written reports for insurance, etc…

I think the best places are a balance of appraiser and independent lab – Like Richard Sherwood.
In my opinion – PGS is 99% Lab.

USFBulls

Rough_Rock
thanks

I sent you a PM
Date: 6/1/2005 11:07:56 AM

Date: 5/19/2005 12:16:17 PM

any reccomendations?

thanks!

Let me try to put as best as I can -

There is often some sort of mix between a “ lab” and an” appraiser”. I have had discussions with people about when is an “appraiser” also an “independent lab”. What traits do you attribute to these two terms?

In my way of thinking when you want a lab – you want the best technical guys – does not matter about people skills, business skills, or other human factors. You want lots of state of the art instruments and industry leading certificates.

When you want an appraiser you want good technical skills – but mostly you want a lot of people and business skills. People who can sit and discuss your gem, plus and minuses, give laymen terms, accurate replacement costs, well written reports for insurance, etc…

I think the best places are a balance of appraiser and independent lab – Like Richard Sherwood.

In my opinion – PGS is 99% Lab.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results