shape
carat
color
clarity

Goldoro in Houston sucks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Raj

Rough_Rock

So I purchased a ring online that has several small 1 point side diamonds, and bought the main stone separately. I then had both the ring and the main diamond appraised at Jewelry Appraisal Services (West Loop South). No problems. Then, upon recommendation by a friend, I went to Goldoro (Blalock and I-10) to have the ring set. They did a fine job setting the main stone, but when I brought it back to Jewelry Appraisal Services to finish the appraisal after setting, they said that several of the small side stones had obvious chips that they definitely would have noticed the first time they appraised it, had the chips been there. I looked through their microscope myself and clearly saw the chips. So I brought it back to Goldoro and told them what the appraiser had said. This is what Joe at Goldoro and his ¡°expert setter¡± told me:

1. First, that he saw no chips in the side stones, but only ¡°inclusions¡±. (Both the person who appraised my ring and her employer pointed out the chips to me, which were very clear under a microscope.)

2. Secondly, that these imperfections came with the ring. (Both the person who appraised my ring and her employer said that these chips were so obvious that they definitely would have noticed them the first time I brought it to them, which was obviously AFTER I had already bought the ring.)

3. Third, that there¡¯s no way an ¡°expert diamond setter¡± could chip side stones when setting the main stone. (The person who appraised my ring said that this was absolutely ridiculous, and that any ¡°expert diamond setter¡± would know that side stones could be chipped in any number of ways while setting or polishing the main stone, and that they had even seen diamonds set by Tiffany¡¯s that had gotten chipped that way.)

Now, if the guys at Goldoro had said that they could see the chips but that they didn¡¯t cause them, that would be one thing. Instead they totally deny seeing the chips, and come up with an absurd statement like that no ¡°expert diamond setter¡± could ever chip a side stone while setting or polishing the main stone. So that makes me suspicious.

And the thing is, how much do two 1 point diamonds cost a retailer? $20 at most? If I were a jeweler and that was the only complaint, I¡¯d replace two 1 point stones even if I didn¡¯t cause the problem, just for the sake of customer relations. I¡¯m not saying they¡¯re obligated to fix something if it¡¯s not their fault, but it does indicate how far Goldoro is willing to go out of their way to help you when they aren¡¯t absolutely bound by warranty or guarantee.

So I¡¯m never going back to Goldoro again.

Raj

Rough_Rock
My appraiser just told me that after speaking to Goldoro yesterday, they have now agreed to replace the two one point diamonds - as long as I agree that they are not responsible for any damage that might be done in the process.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Do you really want to take your ring back to a company like this for repairs? What happens if they do something to the centre stone or otherwise damage the setting again. From what you have written, it looks like they will be absolved of all responsibility if anything else happens to go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results