shape
carat
color
clarity

Gold or not?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I’ve been wanting one of these antique heart locks for a while and I’ll occasionally look around on websites but don’t want to pay a ton. I found what I thought was a pretty good deal and I have not received it yet. But I’m a little skeptical that it’s real gold because of the photos. It looks almost like brass but because it’s 9k does that type of gold tarnish over time and have a tendency to look like this? The vendor is on eBay and has really good feedback and their sales benefit charity. But I noticed that they have a lot of goods with minimal descriptions so I don’t think they’re jewel experts. If it turns out not to be real then I’ll easily be able to return it but I just wondered what your opinions are! It is stamped with the number 9 but there’s not 375 or anything like that.

Attachments

• 85025ED2-10F3-44A5-A7E4-8571D6CB0224.jpeg
    85025ED2-10F3-44A5-A7E4-8571D6CB0224.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 0546EB22-D301-4B67-9EF0-382CA35E2074.jpeg
    0546EB22-D301-4B67-9EF0-382CA35E2074.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 9

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's very nice!
Yes, 9k gold does tarnish like this, because it contains more alloys.
Did the seller say it was tested? Most legit sellers are accurate about their descriptions because they don't want returns.
When you get it, have it looked at by your jeweler, they can test it for you so you can be sure.

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It's very nice!
Yes, 9k gold does tarnish like this, because it contains more alloys.
Did the seller say it was tested? Most legit sellers are accurate about their descriptions because they don't want returns.
When you get it, have it looked at by your jeweler, they can test it for you so you can be sure.

I can ask them they didn’t say about tested; basically their descriptions are really short and just in photos. It’s a charity site almost like a goodwill where they have tons of stuff and not detailed descriptions. When I’ve looked at these locks before, either they were hundreds of dollars, or they were cheaper but super lightweight like 1.5g. This was 4 grams and $159 so I went for it.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can ask them they didn’t say about tested; basically their descriptions are really short and just in photos. It’s a charity site almost like a goodwill where they have tons of stuff and not detailed descriptions. When I’ve looked at these locks before, either they were hundreds of dollars, or they were cheaper but super lightweight like 1.5g. This was 4 grams and $159 so I went for it.

It's always a good idea to look at the weight of a piece. Especially chains. When buying gold, you want to get your money's worth.
It's a nice piece. Show us photos when you get it!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I received it and they told me it was tested as real gold. I’m still a bit skeptical and think it might be Gold filled. I don’t think that they’re trying to deliberately deceive me but maybe just don’t know. Because 100% of the proceeds go to an autism charity I hesitate to return it anyway. Here are the pictures. I took it to one jeweler who said they can’t accurately test because of the nine karat gold content. Which is British. So I’m going to see another jeweler later this week to pick up a repair, 17655D85-2B55-4566-AA4A-EB0E2E5F4EA4.jpeg ask him about it.

Attachments

• 053E31F2-9667-44F6-BE9E-B1D90C0A3FB7.jpeg
    053E31F2-9667-44F6-BE9E-B1D90C0A3FB7.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 12
  • AAB15D37-460C-4E9F-B91C-25E98D6A7EA3.jpeg
    AAB15D37-460C-4E9F-B91C-25E98D6A7EA3.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I received it and they told me it was tested as real gold. I’m still a bit skeptical and think it might be Gold filled. I don’t think that they’re trying to deliberately deceive me but maybe just don’t know. Because 100% of the proceeds go to an autism charity I hesitate to return it anyway. Here are the pictures. I took it to one jeweler who said they can’t accurately test because of the nine karat gold content. Which is British. So I’m going to see another jeweler later this week to pick up a repair, 17655D85-2B55-4566-AA4A-EB0E2E5F4EA4.jpeg ask him about it.

It's really pretty! A nice find!
Yes, if it is 9k, then the 10k acid test will be negative.
Being that it is obviously old, and if it was indeed plated, then you should see some evidence of that around the edges, where it's been handled and rubbed over the last 120 years. Inspect it carefully with a loupe, checking for missing areas of plating.
It's been my experience that really old pieces like this will display worn areas, and plating will be obvious.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Being that it is obviously old, and if it was indeed plated, then you should see some evidence of that around the edges, where it's been handled and rubbed over the last 120 years. Inspect it carefully with a loupe, checking for missing areas of plating.
It's been my experience that really old pieces like this will display worn areas, and plating will be obvious.

I will look with my loupe but right now the only parts that seem to be less gold looking is the inside where I unlatch it. But I thought if it were gold filled and not gold plated then that’s a different process so wouldn’t necessarily show that type of wear. I’m convinced it’s not plated.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I still really like it especially with my antique chain

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would have thought if its not gold platted it would have 9K written on it ?
It does look very pretty with that chain

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I would have thought if its not gold platted it would have 9K written on it ?
It does look very pretty with that chain

It does have the number 9 on it; but it's strange bc it doesn't say 9k, just 9, and it doesn't say 375 and since it's old, sometimes the hallmarks weren't as consistent. I think it's either gold or gold filled.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results