shape
carat
color
clarity

Gold-Filled Chains?

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone here have any gold-filled chains, or other GF pieces? I see them constantly on my eBay searches, both chains and beautiful lockets. I'm often tempted, but have never pulled the trigger. If you have any, please share photos and details.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone here have any gold-filled chains, or other GF pieces? I see them constantly on my eBay searches, both chains and beautiful lockets. I'm often tempted, but have never pulled the trigger. If you have any, please share photos and details.

I don't like gold filled or plated.
Especially a chain. The links rubbing together over time will cause the base metal to show through. Usually the base is white metal, and therefore the gold color starts to change, and look less yellow.

Rolled gold is a thicker layer of gold, and this will hold up better. Sometimes rolled gold will even pass the acid test because the layer of gold is thick.
That's why some people testing gold will file a "V" into the piece....which I hate!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I have two things but I don’t reach for them.

IMG_8916.jpeg IMG_8917.jpeg
They don’t have the luster of real gold.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I don't like gold filled or plated.
Especially a chain. The links rubbing together over time will cause the base metal to show through. Usually the base is white metal, and therefore the gold color starts to change, and look less yellow.

Rolled gold is a thicker layer of gold, and this will hold up better. Sometimes rolled gold will even pass the acid test because the layer of gold is thick.
That's why some people testing gold will file a "V" into the piece....which I hate!

That's really good to know!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
That's my fear. Sort of a mind-clean issue, right? But I see so many gorgeous lockets, then my spirits are dashed when I rad gold-filled. :/

Yes, the mind clean is definitely part of it. If you find something that’s really budget friendly then I say, go forward and see how you feel. Some people are trying to sell goldfilled things for very high prices though!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use either sterling silver, gold filled or vermeil findings for bead jewelry I make for myself. This includes head pins, leverback earring findings and clasps, and wire.
I find it wears well for my purposes, and it saves me money.

Gold filled is another term for rolled gold, per my research.
I don't buy gold plate findings for my crafts. Too thin, doesn't wear well.

Almost all my chains are 14k gold, purchased years ago when gold was much more affordable. But a couple of years ago, I bought a couple of pearl pendants that I wanted to wear on a 24" chain, and I didn't want to always be switching them back and forth from my one 24" gold chain, lest I drop them! So I bought a GF box chain for that purpose. It looks great and I expect to get many years of use from it.

Gold filled chains are lighter than gold, though; a slender, lightweight GF chain might not hang straight on one's neck. A longer one with a heavier pendant hangs fine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results