shape
carat
color
clarity

Going to Tucson! Show suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been taking a gemology course through a local college (not GIA, but it uses GIA materials, instruments, and methods) which is taught by a jeweler/gemologist. I''m loving the course and have decided, after almost four years on PS hearing about how awesome the Tucson shows are, to go in February. The teacher is going as well, has encouraged several of us to go, and is willing to take us in to some of the wholesale shows with him. I''m excited, but since there are SO many shows going on I''m a little overwhelmed with the options. Can anyone who has been to Tucson give me the highlights of which shows to see? This is more of an educational trip, since I''m not exactly rolling in spare funds, but hopefully I''ll manage to save a few pennies over the next few months. Anyone else planning to go?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No tips, I''m just jealous you''re going!!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
The main gem shows are the AGTA and GJX ones.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/9/2009 9:15:50 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
No tips, I''m just jealous you''re going!!
+1

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are going to love the show if you can get into the wholesale portion (trade only).

Harriet,
Since AGTA is now defunct, what’s going to happen to that one? AGTA is still running their side of the show as well as their annual cutting and design competition. I think only the lab portion is closed.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The AGTA show has been a very poorly attended show the past few years.
Typically the various shows along the highway at the hotels are fun and have a very wide variety of things to look at. The prices are much better too.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
envious that you''re going!

great tip, Gene!

mz

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
You lucky thing! I suggest you take me with you.

jeffwhite

Rough_Rock
Woohoo! Have fun
9.gif
Tucson is a blast, but it can be overwhelming for a first-timer. The gem show is spread out over a large part of the city, and it actually consists of dozens of shows going on simultaneously. Some are open to the trade only (wholesale), while others are open to the public. You''ll find that most shows cater to a certain aspect of the field. Some have mostly mineral specimens, some are heavy in fossils, some have only finished jewelry, etc., but then some have a little bit of everything.

Two pieces of advice: 1) be aware of your surroundings and 2) wash your hands! The show has been attracting an increased amount of attention from US and Mexican gangs (and general no goodnics), who are looking for an opportunity. With that much wealth concentrated in one place, it is easy to see why. No need to panic, but just be careful and use common sense. With regard to #2: we all call the the "Gem Show Flu." Because you have hundreds of thousands of people there from all over the country and the world, you will be exposed to a "melting pot" of germs. Again, common sense reigns supreme (although I still end up getting sick about every other year)

More than anything though - have fun!!
1.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/10/2009 1:00:02 PM
Author: klewis

Oh, me too me too!

By the way, klewis, is there a thread about the stone in your avatar? It's a lovely red! Is it a garnet?

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 12:21:48 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
The AGTA show has been a very poorly attended show the past few years.

Typically the various shows along the highway at the hotels are fun and have a very wide variety of things to look at. The prices are much better too.

Good to know, thanks. I don''t think I''d be able to get into AGTA anyway.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m super jealous, Selkie!!!
29.gif
9.gif
11.gif
You should take me along with you, too!
2.gif

Have a wonderful time, and take some pics if you can!
35.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 1:04:38 PM
Author: jeffwhite
Woohoo! Have fun
9.gif
Tucson is a blast, but it can be overwhelming for a first-timer. The gem show is spread out over a large part of the city, and it actually consists of dozens of shows going on simultaneously. Some are open to the trade only (wholesale), while others are open to the public. You''ll find that most shows cater to a certain aspect of the field. Some have mostly mineral specimens, some are heavy in fossils, some have only finished jewelry, etc., but then some have a little bit of everything.

Two pieces of advice: 1) be aware of your surroundings and 2) wash your hands! The show has been attracting an increased amount of attention from US and Mexican gangs (and general no goodnics), who are looking for an opportunity. With that much wealth concentrated in one place, it is easy to see why. No need to panic, but just be careful and use common sense. With regard to #2: we all call the the ''Gem Show Flu.'' Because you have hundreds of thousands of people there from all over the country and the world, you will be exposed to a ''melting pot'' of germs. Again, common sense reigns supreme (although I still end up getting sick about every other year)

1.gif

Great, I''m interested in seeing a variety of different things, so this sounds perfect. Regarding your advice, I was wondering about the security at events like that. I would think the higher end shows would be very well-protected, but self-awareness is always a good thing. I plan to travel with my husband and at least one other fellow student. About the health thing, that''s an excellent tip, particularly this year. Thanks!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 1:24:58 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
29.gif
9.gif
11.gif
2.gif

35.gif
I wish you could come too! That would be awesome. I''ll definitely try to take pics.

jeffwhite

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 1:25:22 PM
Author: Selkie

Date: 11/10/2009 1:04:38 PM
Author: jeffwhite
Woohoo! Have fun
9.gif

Two pieces of advice: 1) be aware of your surroundings and 2) wash your hands! The show has been attracting an increased amount of attention from US and Mexican gangs (and general no goodnics), who are looking for an opportunity. With that much wealth concentrated in one place, it is easy to see why. No need to panic, but just be careful and use common sense. With regard to #2: we all call the the ''Gem Show Flu.'' Because you have hundreds of thousands of people there from all over the country and the world, you will be exposed to a ''melting pot'' of germs. Again, common sense reigns supreme (although I still end up getting sick about every other year)

1.gif

Great, I''m interested in seeing a variety of different things, so this sounds perfect. Regarding your advice, I was wondering about the security at events like that. I would think the higher end shows would be very well-protected, but self-awareness is always a good thing. I plan to travel with my husband and at least one other fellow student. About the health thing, that''s an excellent tip, particularly this year. Thanks!
It isn''t really the shows themselves that you have to be mindful of. They are usually secured pretty well, and there are tons of people around, so you don''t have much to worry about. It is when walking in between shows, etc., where you should exercise caution. You''ll be on open city streets, so just be aware. It''s also good that you''re traveling with others.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 1:24:58 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
29.gif
9.gif
11.gif
2.gif

35.gif

haha, me too! Super jealous... definitely my idea of a fabulous time. Enjoy, selkie!
36.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmmm,,,, maybe I'll have to join ya! I"m a couple of hours a way from Tucson, not sure if DH would let me go though as our bank account might be depleted
37.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Selkie,
I don''t know where you live, but do book your flight and hotel early. Also, if you''re coming from the East, connect through the South rather than the North. This is in case of winter storms. Some people prefer to take a direct flight to Phoenix and drive to Tucson.
P.S. The Congress Hotel is a must-do for brunch.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooh Selkie sounds exciting!!!! Have a wonderful time, yay; jealous here too!
36.gif
36.gif

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
We live an hour from the show and have gone for the past 10 years. If you don''t have hotel reservations yet, you are most likely shut out. You could try Marana and Green Valley.

With regard to gemstones, you cannot get into the good shows, they are for the trade, but you can get into the Main Show at the Tucson Convention Center. Pala International and the like all the way down to your very basic krap are found there. I found it worthwhile to attend it but held on to most of money, no real deals. I always enjoy going to Andrew Gulij''s booth (huge) there, he owns GemFix. He has some really nice gemstones, a large variety, and has some very fair prices although at the Convention Center you will be paying tax on purchases unless he then ships it to you. He is very polite, kind, and easy to work with.

As others have posted, there is a lot of flu there every year, I kind of expect it, people travel long distances to bring their wares in sometimes the worst conditions and they arrive sick. There are not many bathroom facilities, so be advised!

Re crime, stones are stolen from vendors at the Convention Center show and all the other kinds of theft you can think of that go with people there to spend their money.

As a nonretailer, we found the Convention Center show to be the best followed by the Electric Park show to buy tools and lapidary supplies, and we did very well at the tents along the highway when we were buying fossils, specimens and geodes. For a 7-ft amethyst cathedral geode from Brazil, I paid $300, a good deal. Don''t be afraid to haggle, you can always return and pay their price but keep in mind that most items are found in about every tent too.

Also, don''t expect all the vendors to be friendly, some of them come from parts of the Globe that don''t much like the USA these days.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 6:22:25 PM
Author: Harriet
Selkie,

I don''t know where you live, but do book your flight and hotel early. Also, if you''re coming from the East, connect through the South rather than the North. This is in case of winter storms. Some people prefer to take a direct flight to Phoenix and drive to Tucson.

P.S. The Congress Hotel is a must-do for brunch.

Hi Harriet-Thanks for the brunch suggestion. Luckily I live in California, so we''ll be driving. I booked a room a few weeks ago, so I''m good to go. The hotel is near the airport, but it doesn''t look like too long a drive to the convention center and other shows.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
StonieGrl, you referred to the Main Show at the Convention Center. Do you mean the one that''s actually called Tucson Gem & Mineral Show? There''s so many different names, it''s hard to keep them straight. I think we''re going the weekend before that one, unfortunately, and I think the AGTA show will be going on in the CC instead. I won''t be able to get into that, but some of the other wholesale shows are a possibility if I go with my prof.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 1:11:32 PM
Date: 11/10/2009 1:00:02 PM

Author: klewis

Oh, me too me too!

By the way, klewis, is there a thread about the stone in your avatar? It''s a lovely red! Is it a garnet?

Thanks MTG. No there isn''t a thread about it but you''re right, it''s garnet. It''s a 3.38 cts Gypsy Rose Garnet, Fireball cut, and one of several John Dyer stones I bought a while back. The pic in the avatar is the vendor''s pic and the colour actually looks better in person. I really love this stone and I have just had it set in a ring which my Mama now wears.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
te:[/b] 11/10/2009 1:11:32 PM

By the way, klewis, is there a thread about the stone in your avatar? It''s a lovely red! Is it a garnet?

Thanks MTG. No there isn''t a thread about it but you''re right, it''s garnet. It''s a 3.38 cts Gypsy Rose Garnet, Fireball cut, and one of several John Dyer stones I bought a while back. The pic in the avatar is the vendor''s pic and the colour actually looks better in person. I really love this stone and I have just had it set in a ring which my Mama now wears.

[/quote]
It is gorgeous! Fireball cut is a very appropriate name.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Selkie, yes, that is the show I was referring to at the Convention Center. If you come back for 2011, make you plans to include that one because many of the topnotch vendors from the wholesale shows have booths at that show, so you have the benefit of getting to see/buy/chat with them. And there is just such a great variety in that show too.

Glad to hear your prof can get you into the wholesale shows. If you decide to buy, look carefully first. Visit Gemfix, Andrew Gulij, if you are on a buying trip for a particular gemstone, he is ethical and will gladly assist you.

The Congress Hotel has excellent food. There is a lot of good food in Tucson, its hard to go wrong there.

My experience with the gem stone vendors around the highway is kind of on the caveat emptor side.

But you will have a great time, so many fabulous mineral specimens, fossils, and gem stones to see. I remember my first time to the show and you will too!

Have fun, and when you have access to a bathroom, use it.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Selkie, the Westward Look Show is pretty good too. Go to its website:

www.finemineralshow.com

Get on the mailing list, you will get some cool postcards of mineral specimens and info/map.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock

freefly

Shiny_Rock
You are going to have so much fun! I went last year and had a blast. Can''t wait to see what you end up getting!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results